Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:13:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This just in: House Passes Cybersecurity Measure CISPA [US]  (Read 3497 times)
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 11:48:29 PM

This isn't a huge deal.  They've already been doing all of this stuff in meatspace for a long time now, tracking innocent people and basically bungling law enforcement in general.  And they've been doing most of it on the internet as well.  It's just not completely out in the open.

Most people will not care about this, just as most people didn't care about NDAA or warrantless wiretapping or the literal dozens of other unconstitutional oppressive tactics used by the US government against the American people for decades now.

Most people don't care that the Treasury has used regressive taxation and twisted legal interpretation of the Constitution in order to literally sell the country to foreigners and to literally sell future generations into debt-serfdom.

Most people don't care that incompetent, unconstitutional agencies like the EPA and SEC are used as vehicles of cronyism, in order to extra-judicially punish industries and businesses that fail to curry favor with the current administration and to reward those that are politically connected and make generous campaign donations.

Most people don't care that the Justice Department shipped guns into Mexico and helped to murder US citizens in order to influence public opinion against the second amendment, or that they tried to orchestrate a race war and instigated racial violence in the Martin case in order to disparage self-defense and community policing.

The majority will not care when they start revoking passports and instating capital controls.  And the majority will not care about whatever comes next, whether "voluntary" work camps or more false-flag terror attacks and a military draft or just ramped-up jack-booted police state, engineered economic stagnation and financial repression.

It's far too late in the game to be outraged over formalities like these.  Just get your shit together, learn to stand up for your rights and ignore nonsense like this because it's irrelevant anyways.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 01:55:54 AM

You know, I'm all for the government catching criminals, but things like this are taking it too far.

So you want them catching criminals but not defining 'criminal'? Who ought be doing that?
I don't understand what you mean... a criminal would be one who breaks a law that defines one as a criminal, right?

Well all they are going to be doing is catching criminals, right? But since they get to pick how to do that and who is a criminal and they even get to change it as they go "catching criminals" pretty much means doing whatever the hell they want.
Exactly.  That's why I said this is going too far...  Wink

Oh ok.

I don't want them catching criminals since that would involve, well.. lets leave it at "catching people I know".

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
gamer4156

Activity: 1008
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 03:21:35 AM

I laughed at the part where it said the government was not the enemy.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 04:50:59 AM

You know, I'm all for the government catching criminals, but things like this are taking it too far.

So you want them catching criminals but not defining 'criminal'? Who ought be doing that?
I don't understand what you mean... a criminal would be one who breaks a law that defines one as a criminal, right?

Well all they are going to be doing is catching criminals, right? But since they get to pick how to do that and who is a criminal and they even get to change it as they go "catching criminals" pretty much means doing whatever the hell they want.
Exactly.  That's why I said this is going too far...  Wink

Oh ok.

I don't want them catching criminals since that would involve, well.. lets leave it at "catching people I know".
Haha  Smiley
Ente Erstickenfickër

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 05:13:36 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_Caucus

This is the payoff for forty years of wishful escapism and deliberate dumbing down. Enjoy it, it won't be fixed and by the time it could be it really won't matter any more, they made you world-class losers and you loved it the whole way.

That's quite a map, the whole southern perimeter could be labeled "States To Avoid" or maybe "The Bumpkin Belt".

Evidently the U.S. isn't doing so hot in the measurable and quantifiable either.

SAT Scores Fall Nationwide: A Harbinger of U.S. Economic Decline
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/09/15/sat-scores-fall-nationwide-a-harbinger-of-u-s-economic-decline/

Falling SAT Scores, Widening Achievement Gap
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/09/falling-sat-scores-widening-achievement-gap/245176/
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 01:34:11 PM

This is the payoff for forty years of wishful escapism and deliberate dumbing down. Enjoy it, it won't be fixed and by the time it could be it really won't matter any more, they made you world-class losers and you loved it the whole way.

That's quite a map, the whole southern perimeter could be labeled "States To Avoid" or maybe "The Bumpkin Belt".

Evidently the U.S. isn't doing so hot in the measurable and quantifiable either.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/09/15/sat-scores-fall-nationwide-a-harbinger-of-u-s-economic-decline/

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/09/falling-sat-scores-widening-achievement-gap/245176/

Why do you put stock in standardized test scores?
Ente Erstickenfickër

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 04:31:07 PM

Why do you put stock in standardized test scores?

Do you have any evidence that one shouldn't? I'm not here to do your homework for you, but a few things that come to mind are proven positive correlation with lifetime earning ability and state measures of wealth and income, negative correlation with prison population percentages by state, and a recent history of improvement in the SAT tests themselves.

The latter is significant, during the 80s and 90s the SATs actually were made less difficult because top schools were not seeing the high scores they once did and did not want to lower their visible thresholds for admission so they successfully applied pressure to the Educational Testing Service to tweak the numbers upwards. In the last decade increasing complaints from all schools about the reduced screening effectiveness of the test led to a restructuring of the tests, for example, testing writing abilities.

Considering the period when the SATs were "dumbed down" so Harvard and others could look good, the 40 year decline in performance described in the articles above is actually worse than the score data would indicate. One might also wonder how much denialism about the validity of the tests impacted student performance, if Joe Know-Nothing's kids picked up the message that they didn't need to perform on no steenking SAT tests because the tests were not meaningful, pressure to perform in the areas the tests measure may have been removed.
BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 06:38:58 AM

Do you have any evidence that one shouldn't? I'm not here to do your homework for you, but a few things that come to mind are proven positive correlation with lifetime earning ability and state measures of wealth and income, negative correlation with prison population percentages by state, and a recent history of improvement in the SAT tests themselves.

The latter is significant, during the 80s and 90s the SATs actually were made less difficult because top schools were not seeing the high scores they once did and did not want to lower their visible thresholds for admission so they successfully applied pressure to the Educational Testing Service to tweak the numbers upwards. In the last decade increasing complaints from all schools about the reduced screening effectiveness of the test led to a restructuring of the tests, for example, testing writing abilities.

Considering the period when the SATs were "dumbed down" so Harvard and others could look good, the 40 year decline in performance described in the articles above is actually worse than the score data would indicate. One might also wonder how much denialism about the validity of the tests impacted student performance, if Joe Know-Nothing's kids picked up the message that they didn't need to perform on no steenking SAT tests because the tests were not meaningful, pressure to perform in the areas the tests measure may have been removed.

You're on an incorrect thread of causality. Success on the SATs has virtually nothing to do with intelligence; it's about half information regurgitation and half test-taking skills. Scores have declined over the years because a fair portion of the public has realized that standardized tests are no measure of future success and has stopped treating them as such. The fact that people who do well on their SATs are more likely to succeed is irrelevant; simply doing well on the SAT has a significant effect on college admissions, scholarships, and the like - enough to skew percentages that the ETS will no doubt use to persuade people of the validity of its test. I'm not disagreeing with the claim that education in the States is getting worse - nor am I agreeing with it - but in any case SAT scores are no valid proof of anything except the willingness of the public to accept far too much at face value.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 07:43:56 PM

AAAANNNNNDDDD putting the thread back on track with the subject CISPA : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=73368.0  and  http://wiki.daviddarts.com/PirateBox
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2012, 12:23:32 PM

On a forum completely dedicated to a service which depends on a P2P networking method of transmission you would think a few more fucks would be given about this legislation. I guess you would be wrong.
faidsaid

Activity: 43

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 05:16:36 AM

You're on an incorrect thread of causality. Success on the SATs has virtually nothing to do with intelligence; it's about half information regurgitation and half test-taking skills. Scores have declined over the years because a fair portion of the public has realized that standardized tests are no measure of future success and has stopped treating them as such. The fact that people who do well on their SATs are more likely to succeed is irrelevant; simply doing well on the SAT has a significant effect on college admissions, scholarships, and the like - enough to skew percentages that the ETS will no doubt use to persuade people of the validity of its test. I'm not disagreeing with the claim that education in the States is getting worse - nor am I agreeing with it - but in any case SAT scores are no valid proof of anything except the willingness of the public to accept far too much at face value.
Correlation is not causality, yet correlation is present, are you a betting man? For your sake I hope not. Smiley

You're going the long way around the block to put something there that does not need to be, it simply is what it is. Your claim "Scores have declined over the years because a fair portion of the public has realized that standardized tests are no measure of future success and has stopped treating them as such" if true, supports the notion that dumbing down is simply broadly based much more readily than that this "public" you say exists has any basis for the supposed belief. After 40 years of a headlong escape into superstition and parochialism by large portions of the U.S. populace one would expect that to be the case.

BTW, what's the highest grade/level of education that you have successfully completed?
drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 06:09:27 AM

On a forum completely dedicated to a service which depends on a P2P networking method of transmission you would think a few more fucks would be given about this legislation. I guess you would be wrong.
One of the only political things that got me off my arse was the internet filter, it was not an easy fight to change the sheeples minds away from what the tv said (The tv said that only paedophiles don't like internet filters) but we got it done (for now)

Now i just need to destroy government currency and we will be on the right path

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 06:51:29 AM

Correlation is not causality, yet correlation is present, are you a betting man? For your sake I hope not. Smiley
No, I am not a gambler. I suspect I would get kicked out of Vegas very quickly, and I've never had any inclination to test that theory.

You're going the long way around the block to put something there that does not need to be, it simply is what it is. Your claim "Scores have declined over the years because a fair portion of the public has realized that standardized tests are no measure of future success and has stopped treating them as such" if true, supports the notion that dumbing down is simply broadly based much more readily than that this "public" you say exists has any basis for the supposed belief. After 40 years of a headlong escape into superstition and parochialism by large portions of the U.S. populace one would expect that to be the case.

I'm not saying the "public" has any basis for the belief, I'm saying that they have that belief. Whether the belief is valid or not is effectively irrelevant, but if you wish to debate it, I won't disappoint you. In my humble opinion the majority, though not all, of standardized tests are not an effective measure of future success because they measure abilities not often required in the workplace (such as handwriting a 25-minute timed essay) and fail to measure the skills most integral to success in the workplace (e.g. collaboration and ingenuity).

[...] the notion that dumbing down is simply broadly based [...]

I'm afraid I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to here. Can you clarify?

BTW, what's the highest grade/level of education that you have successfully completed?

I do not understand how insulting my intelligence helps your argument, please enlighten me.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 09:40:20 AM

I do not understand how insulting my intelligence helps your argument, please enlighten me.

He's probably one of those unemployed guys that only went to college because his daddy wanted him to and thinks everybody should be like him.
Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 10:37:54 AM

+ infinity
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: