Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:27:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Man's bitcoin mining leads to police raiding his home  (Read 3668 times)
Eisenhower34
Legendary

Activity: 906
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 03:20:05 AM

They took his computers??!! That's his business, quite possibly his livelihood. And they actually charged him with crimes with very little evidence - a bit of marijuana in the house. A lot of states have a low fine if it's found in someone's pockets, but that's it. His lawyer is shit, total utter shit. He should be pressing every legal button available.

Down here the police force is just a money grabber for the city. Take a look at this article, It's pretty common for the cops to do as they feel and seize anything of value.

http://www.breezejmu.org/news/article_765b428a-8ee3-11e3-8e0f-001a4bcf6878.html

"Police also seized a pair of Nike shoes, a MacBook Pro, an iPhone, a LG phone, two keys to an Audi car, an herb grinder with residue, a Playstation 3, a 32-inch TV and butane fuel."

So they couldn't find anything tasty in the fridge then?

How do you tell the difference between such pigs and common burglars anyways?  Roll Eyes
After the case is over and all appeals have been exhausted then he should get his property back from the police, or at least the property that was not ill gotten from any crimes. (this is the law in the US and I imagine the law is similar in Canada)
Rishblitz

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 03:28:45 AM

No, it's a real crappy city down south. I've heard it's the meth capital of the east coast. I don't know how true that is.

Oh I see what you mean now.

Trust me, when somebody says that the town they've lived in is a shit hole, they know what what they're talking about, I don't know if this is a duplicate but it's definitely happened before, the police keep thinking that the electricity spikes from Bitcoin miners are the same as drug labs and such.

This may also be a sign that Bitcoin miners need to look at independent power supplies which can't be tracked LOL Tongue

Better anonymity just like bit coin was planned to be.

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 08:05:18 AM

Our country is not quite that bad, at least not yet. The real issue is that the legalism of marijuana is going to lead to a less productive workforce which means a slower growing economy

Legalization of marijuana does not imply wider use and a less productive workforce. It will only drive the drug lords out of business and result in higher tax collections.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 02:28:07 PM

you watch though, they'll legalize this shit and the country will be filled with zombie ass morons who are barely cognitive.

Isn't that already the case?  Cheesy

Truth is the new hatespeech.
indiemax

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:09:56 PM

The cops have his rigs mining away down at the station. Donut coin!

so funny,love it Grin
santaClause

Activity: 183

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:14:59 PM

Our country is not quite that bad, at least not yet. The real issue is that the legalism of marijuana is going to lead to a less productive workforce which means a slower growing economy

Legalization of marijuana does not imply wider use and a less productive workforce. It will only drive the drug lords out of business and result in higher tax collections.
This is not necessarily the case. In CO there have been a number of robberies at drug dispensaries that have been connected to drug gangs.

It also means that people will be able to openly carry drugs after they buy them but does not mean the people will buy drugs legally. This means that drug gangs can sell more potent drugs and does not need to worry about transporting drugs discreetly as the penalty for doing so would be removed
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3219

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 07:30:06 PM
Last edit: October 12, 2014, 07:43:23 PM by odolvlobo

After the case is over and all appeals have been exhausted then he should get his property back from the police, or at least the property that was not ill gotten from any crimes. (this is the law in the US and I imagine the law is similar in Canada)

Don't count on it. In the U.S., police can confiscate property suspected of being involved in illegal activity. Most likely, it will be auctioned off and the proceeds will be distributed to various police agencies. If the guy wants the stuff back (or the proceeds from the auction), he will have to file a lawsuit.

Property may be seized and held by the police because they believe it was used or obtained while committing a crime. The police may permanently keep or sell property if they can prove in a civil court that it was unlawfully used or obtained.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
CryptoCarmen

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 07:42:49 PM

Well i doubt this would happen in country i am in. If they would come with one reason. for sure they would not take mining rigs with them just so their action will not look wasted.
But one thing is sure, if maybe they would take those rigs, owner should say good by to them, since at time when she will get them back they will be totally obsolete and outdated.
mnmShadyBTC

Activity: 151

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:18:06 PM

Don't count on it. In the U.S., police can confiscate property suspected of being involved in illegal activity. Most likely, it will be auctioned off and the proceeds will be distributed to various police agencies. If the guy wants the stuff back (or the proceeds from the auction), he will have to file a lawsuit.

Property may be seized and held by the police because they believe it was used or obtained while committing a crime. The police may permanently keep or sell property if they can prove in a civil court that it was unlawfully used or obtained.
They must prove that it was unlawfully used or obtained. If they cannot prove as such then the rightful owner will get his property back. Civil suits are also often "looser pays" in regards to attorney's fees (in many jurisdictions) so if the owner files a lawsuit he will need to advance money for a lawyer but can recover those fees from the government in the event he wins

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience - PRIMEDICE 3 HAS LAUNCHED @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: