Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:50:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My dog has arthritis :'( how much oily fish can I feed her a week?  (Read 3530 times)
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 06:28:07 PM

My dog has arthritis Cry how much oily fish can I feed her a week?  She is a 25kg APBT, nearly nine years old and as tough and sweet as they come.  I've heard oil-fish is good but what's the maximum amount of 120g tins of sardines I should feed her a week?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 07:01:01 PM

Bobbie aged about three  Grin

Kettenmonster

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 07:16:27 PM

Just rasp a few fresh ginger into the food.

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 07:17:33 PM

What slices of fresh ginger or purée from a jar and how does it help?

Kettenmonster

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 07:49:21 PM

Fresh ginger is the best, just rasp it or cut it very tiny with a sharp knife adding some garlic is another good idea.
It helps just like ginger an garlic always help in such cases.

You named it mumbleitis. Well for all these mumbleitises ginger and garlic are the first choice. Salvia isn´t too bad either.
Provided you believe in food being the best medicine.

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 08:03:25 PM

Fresh ginger is the best, just rasp it or cut it very tiny with a sharp knife adding some garlic is another good idea.
It helps just like ginger an garlic always help in such cases.

You named it mumbleitis. Well for all these mumbleitises ginger and garlic are the first choice. Salvia isn´t too bad either.
Provided you believe in food being the best medicine.

Can I feed her Omega3 as well and have you got some links about the ginger and garlic treatment please.

Kettenmonster

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 08:14:15 PM

Can I feed her Omega3 as well and have you got some links about the ginger and garlic treatment please.
wtf? Omega3? ... fresh fish would be ok. Liver is fine, provided cow or sheep had a happy life in sunlight on green gras.
Well links ... if you don´t trust me, why would you trust my links?
Maybe you can start from here.

matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 08:53:04 PM

wtf? Omega3? ... fresh fish would be ok. Liver is fine, provided cow or sheep had a happy life in sunlight on green gras.

Omega3 is very high in oily fish and tinned sardines are cheap.  Fish-oil is well known to help with arthritis but I've never heard of ginger and garlic being used that's why I asked for some links on it so I could find out more.  Thanks.

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 08:53:58 PM

Omega3 is very high in oily fish and tinned sardines are cheap.  Fish-oil is well known to help with arthritis but I've never heard of ginger and garlic being used that's why I asked for some links on it so I could find out more.  Thanks.
Yeah I have only heard of ginger for digestive problems.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 09:05:57 PM

Well I used your first link and found out this -

Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish oil, up to 2.6 g daily -- Omega-3 fatty acids may help reduce inflammation. A review of studies where people with RA took omega-3 fatty acids found they had fewer tender joints but no difference in joint damage. In some studies, people who take omega-3s are able to reduce the dose of NSAIDs or corticosteroids they take for RA. Omega-3 fatty acids may also reduce the risk of heart disease, which is higher in people with RA. Omega-3 fatty acid supplements may raise the risk of bleeding, especially if you also take blood-thinners such as clopidogrel (Plavix), warfarin (Coumadin), or aspirin.

and

Ginger (Zingiber officinale), up to 2 g per day in divided doses, may reduce joint inflammation and pain. One study found that ginger extract blocked COX-2, a chemical in the body that causes pain. Ginger may increase the risk of bleeding, especially if you also take blood thinners such as clopidogrel (Plavix), warfarin (Coumadin), or aspirin

And this site - http://www.rd.com/health/6-supplements-for-arthritis-sufferers/ - lists Omega3(fish oil) as the best natural supplement for arthritis and didn't even mention ginger or garlic.  Yes I could easy Google Why is ginger and garlic good for arthritis but was hoping you could show me the best resources within the 23,000,000 results.  Anyway my question is about the maximum amount of oily fish I can feed my 25kg dog.  As there is a limit on how much oily fish humans should eat but this is mainly due to high vitamin A levels but have you every looked on dog food labels on how much vitamin A is in there.  Well it is lots more than a human could eat.  But thanks for your advice  Smiley

matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 09:12:35 PM

Well I used your first link and found out this -

Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish oil, up to 2.6 g daily -- Omega-3 fatty acids may help reduce inflammation. A review of studies where people with RA took omega-3 fatty acids found they had fewer tender joints but no difference in joint damage. In some studies, people who take omega-3s are able to reduce the dose of NSAIDs or corticosteroids they take for RA. Omega-3 fatty acids may also reduce the risk of heart disease, which is higher in people with RA. Omega-3 fatty acid supplements may raise the risk of bleeding, especially if you also take blood-thinners such as clopidogrel (Plavix), warfarin (Coumadin), or aspirin.

and

Ginger (Zingiber officinale), up to 2 g per day in divided doses, may reduce joint inflammation and pain. One study found that ginger extract blocked COX-2, a chemical in the body that causes pain. Ginger may increase the risk of bleeding, especially if you also take blood thinners such as clopidogrel (Plavix), warfarin (Coumadin), or aspirin

And this site - http://www.rd.com/health/6-supplements-for-arthritis-sufferers/ - lists Omega3(fish oil) as the best natural supplement for arthritis and didn't even mention ginger or garlic.  Yes I could easy Google Why is ginger and garlic good for arthritis but was hoping you could show me the best resources within the 23,000,000 results.  Anyway my question is about the maximum amount of oily fish I can feed my 25kg dog.  As there is a limit on how much oily fish humans should eat but this is mainly due to high vitamin A levels but have you every looked on dog food labels on how much vitamin A is in there.  Well it is lots more than a human could eat.  But thanks for your advice  Smiley

Also from your first very useful hard to find link (well actually I used DuckDuckGo - http://donttrack.us/) I found out dogs may not be able to eat ginger as cats definitely can't again but thanks for your concern  Smiley

Kettenmonster

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 09:38:49 AM

Him said:
„Alle Dinge sind Gift, und nichts ist ohne Gift; allein die dosis machts, daß ein Ding kein Gift sei.“
Reads like:
All things are poison and nothing is without poison. Only the dose makes it that a thing is not a poison.
Keep that in mind whilst saying dogs or cats can´t eat this or that.
A single Nutmeg might kill you. But no decent cook would even think of serving mashed potatoes without it.

Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 02:26:35 AM

Our 5 year old snouzer also have arthritis, he went from near paraplegic to happy go lucky and full movement/running/happy within just a few weeks after switching its diet to JD Hills (not sure if its international dog pellets product) , its rather expensive food but seeing how it pretty much cured the problems we simply stick to this diet.

Its important to stick to a strict diet of one or 2 types of food only, no under the table food handling or anything like that since you will simply "reactivate" the problems allmost immediately and undo the progress.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 05:26:55 AM

Omega3 is very high in oily fish

I don't know what to do about dog arthritis but that sounds wrong.

Procedures—Dogs were randomly assigned to receive a typical commercial food (n = 16) or a test food (22) containing 3.5% fish oil omega-3 fatty acids. On day 0 (before the trial began) and days 45 and 90 after the trial began, investigators conducted orthopedic evaluations and force-plate analyses of the most severely affected limb of each dog, and owners completed questionnaires to characterize their dogs' arthritis signs.

Results—The change in mean peak vertical force between days 90 and 0 was significant for the test-food group (5.6%) but not for the control-food group (0.4%). Improvement in peak vertical force values was evident in 82% of the dogs in the test-food group, compared with 38% of the dogs in the control-food group. In addition, according to investigators' subjective evaluations, dogs fed the test food had significant improvements in lameness and weight bearing on day 90, compared with measurements obtained on day 0.

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance—At least in the short term, dietary supplementation with fish oil omega-3 fatty acids resulted in an improvement in weight bearing in dogs with osteoarthritis.

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.236.1.67

I can't vouch for their methods or results as I haven't read the paper, but it appears that 3.5% diet of omega-3s derived from fish oil was deemed a safe amount by those researchers. This is probably a better source than some random link.
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 11:03:09 AM

I've always feed the dog left overs anything apart from chicken bones and chocolate (as there both bad for dogs) and she has never been overweight.  Maybe going for 5mile+ walk and runs every day as helped that.  She mainly eats complete dog food biscuits as there good for her teeth.  Just supplementing her diet with two 120g tins of sardines a week until I see a veterinary surgeon on Wednesday. 

Clipse

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 11:20:12 AM

I've always feed the dog left overs anything apart from chicken bones and chocolate (as there both bad for dogs) and she has never been overweight.  Maybe going for 5mile+ walk and runs every day as helped that.  She mainly eats complete dog food biscuits as there good for her teeth.  Just supplementing her diet with two 120g tins of sardines a week until I see a veterinary surgeon on Wednesday. 

They are called dogs for a reason and not humans or trashcans Wink

The natural diet of dogs is completely different from humans, most of the table food that humans eat is actually quite bad for dogs and will lead to premature diseases in alot of cases specially when the said dog is prone to the disease ie. arthritis/diabetes etc.

A dogs really needs to stay at a strict diet throughout its life and just because your dog didnt get overweight doesnt ensure its been eating healthy. I definitely dont imply you mistreated your dog, just stating that even with good intentions the outcome can be extremely bad longterm.

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 11:41:14 AM

I've always feed the dog left overs anything apart from chicken bones and chocolate (as there both bad for dogs) and she has never been overweight.  Maybe going for 5mile+ walk and runs every day as helped that.  She mainly eats complete dog food biscuits as there good for her teeth.  Just supplementing her diet with two 120g tins of sardines a week until I see a veterinary surgeon on Wednesday.  

The natural diet of dogs is completely different from humans, most of the table food that humans eat is actually quite bad for dogs and will lead to premature diseases in alot of cases specially when the said dog is prone to the disease ie. arthritis/diabetes etc.

A dogs really needs to stay at a strict diet throughout its life and just because your dog didnt get overweight doesnt ensure its been eating healthy. I definitely dont imply you mistreated your dog, just stating that even with good intentions the outcome can be extremely bad longterm.

I know of working dogs in Ireland that have never seen "proper" dog food in there whole lives.  Dog's are naturally scavengers not just hunters and in their natural environment we eat anything edible.  Giving them a lot fat diet is important tho.  

Edit:  Plus low salt diet

Clipse

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 01:20:52 PM

I've always feed the dog left overs anything apart from chicken bones and chocolate (as there both bad for dogs) and she has never been overweight.  Maybe going for 5mile+ walk and runs every day as helped that.  She mainly eats complete dog food biscuits as there good for her teeth.  Just supplementing her diet with two 120g tins of sardines a week until I see a veterinary surgeon on Wednesday.  

I know of working dogs in Ireland that have never seen "proper" dog food in there whole lives.  Dog's are naturally scavengers not just hunters and in their natural environment we eat anything edible.  Giving them a lot fat diet is important tho.  

Edit:  Plus low salt diet

I think you misunderstood me, a domestic dog needs a healthy diet and a strict one since they dont have to fight day in/day out for "scavenged" food which a street dog might actually be "healthy" with. With proper dogfood I didnt refer to canned/bagged pellet as foodsource only.

A domestic dog is much more prone to diseases when eating whatever-they-can-get than 24/7 active wild dogs(if that is the point you tried to make), not to mention dogs are carnivores not omnivores, so they are not actually meant to eat whatever they can scavenged, its bad for them longterm. Dogs in their "natural" environment, what exactly is that? You do know that the house of an owner is the first "natural" environment of a everyday dog, so no they dont actually have a "natural" environment.

Anyhow just my 2cents, I can assure you that your dog will have a great chance of recovering if you follow my advice of sticking to a balanced diet which tries to stick to only a few regular types of food sources and not whatever-is-available to feed them.

matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 01:28:20 PM

I think you misunderstood me, a domestic dog needs a healthy diet and a strict one since they dont have to fight day in/day out for "scavenged" food which a street dog might actually be "healthy" with. With proper dogfood I didnt refer to canned/bagged pellet as foodsource only.

A domestic dog is much more prone to diseases when eating whatever-they-can-get than 24/7 active wild dogs(if that is the point you tried to make), not to mention dogs are carnivores not omnivores, so they are not actually meant to eat whatever they can scavenged, its bad for them longterm. Dogs in their "natural" environment, what exactly is that? You do know that the house of an owner is the first "natural" environment of a everyday dog, so no they dont actually have a "natural" environment.

Anyhow just my 2cents, I can assure you that your dog will have a great chance of recovering if you follow my advice of sticking to a balanced diet which tries to stick to only a few regular types of food sources and not whatever-is-available to feed them.

She mainly eats complete dog food biscuits and just gets scraps of left over food as a treat and change instead of throwing it out tho nothing too salty, too fatty or too sugary (just stuff like potatoes, bones and stuff).  I was thinking of getting senior complete dog food biscuits but they cost £10 for 3kg.  Bobbie-dog dad eat a similar diet and lived until nearly his fourteenth birthday. 

Clipse

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 01:39:31 PM

She mainly eats complete dog food biscuits and just gets scraps of left over food as a treat and change instead of throwing it out tho nothing too salty, too fatty or too sugary (just stuff like potatoes, bones and stuff).  I was thinking of getting senior complete dog food biscuits but they cost £10 for 3kg.  Bobbie-dog dad eat a similar diet and lived until nearly his fourteenth birthday.  

Well I can allready tell you, potatoes(unless minimal and completely well boiled, not grilled) and alot of bone-types dont mix with dogs. Starch is terrible for dogs, and far from their natural diet.

Here is a short general walkthrough that is fairly accurate: http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: