Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:44:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What generally characterizes an atheist?  (Read 1744 times)
sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 04:03:47 PM

Atheism is not the same as religion.  Religion is crap, makes no sense, and is an intellectual dead end.  Belief in a higher power is not so, it allows continued questioning of the "how" of our existence and doesn't settle on an answer written by stupid people a few thousand years ago.
I also believe in evolution.  It doesn't matter what form creation takes, there still has to be something that creates it.  The original chaos isn't just there without a creator.  How else could original chaos start?  By itself?  No matter how far back I travel, something or someone had to create a something.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 04:06:30 PM

Also, some one,in other topic has noted that the percentage of atheists in American jails are well below the percentages of them found in the American population as a whole.  Be that causation or correlation - it is a characteristic.
The places with the lowest participation rate in religion and belief like New Zealand and many Scandinavian counties also have much less crime than the US.

97% of scientists believe in evolution (including categories like mechanical engineer).  The category of scientist presumably has  larger than average percentage of smart people....compared to most professions.  They are far  less likely to believe in god than the rest of the public.   I doubt they are all secret closet criminals.

There are numerous studies that link higher intelligence with lower belief.....copy these words and paste them in your google bar.

Intelligent people are more likely to question things that don't make sense and seek answers to difficult questions.  Hence, they see the inanity in our religious beliefs as well as the likely path to their evolution.  They also see the reality of our existence in terms of our Universe's and our biological origins.  If divine intervention occurred at any point, it has yet to be evident.  It remains possible, but the likelihood your childhood stories about religion are correct stand at 0.00%.  Just my opinion.

Mr.Bitty

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 04:12:25 PM

Everyone deep down is agnostic to some degree. Even those that believe, must at some time have doubts...as goes for those nonbelievers.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
( DICEBITCO.IN | → BE THE BANK! ←| BEAUTIFUL UI | @Official Thread | @Twitter)
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 04:17:08 PM

Is atheism a sign of intelligence?  Is it a superior system of thought?  The expected outcome of rational thought?

It does seem on these boards that any form of theism is looked down on by most atheists.  But, is that do to actual thoughtful consideration - or is it just plain arrogance - or even insecurity?

Or some combination of the above?

How might atheistic thought be superior to theistic thinking?
Searching the internet, it does seem that atheists also (at least in the US) tend towards leftist/liberal side of politics.

Though, interestingly, 2nd likely area appears to be libertarian type groups.
Rigon

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 04:20:29 PM

Zolace,if your own religion causes you this much doubt that you have to constantly keep verifying it with other people, and measuring it against what they believe, then it isn't much of a faith.   Is someone proselytizing you against your will? Just tell them to stop it.  Sometimes they go away, and other times they just won't.
Rigon

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 04:26:12 PM

Here is the perspective of a converted atheist.

“The point of atheism as a belief is about logic and sense — and then you hit that juxtaposition,” he said. “If you’re using sense, then you can’t deny when something else makes sense as well.”

“There’s actually a comfort in denying God, ironically, in having things objectively happen as a matter of chance.”

Former ‘Militant Atheist’ Reveals What Totally Changed His Mind About Death, God and the Afterlife

British author Scott Coren once described himself as a “militant atheist” who believed in a “world that operated on chance and natural selection” — but then something profoundly changed.

Coren, a father of two, said his path diverted after his daughter was born in 2012 with a serious heart condition.

He began caring for her around the clock, spending a plethora of time in medical facilities and a hospice, where he observed some dynamics that changed his heart and mind.

When Coren saw the nurses, whom he described as “human angels,” caring for critically ill children, his views on God and the afterlife began to dramatically transform.

He found himself pondering death, in particular, thinking, ”It can’t be the end of things. It just doesn’t make sense.”

The “reason” and “logic” he had once used to deny God’s existence were suddenly leading him toward a belief in something more profound.

Despite his best efforts to avoid becoming a Christian, Coren said that his reasoning faculties left him with no alternative option.

“The point of atheism as a belief is about logic and sense — and then you hit that juxtaposition,” he said. “If you’re using sense, then you can’t deny when something else makes sense as well.”

Coren said it was “a very gradual and slow process” that evolved over the last couple of years, but that his daughter’s illness sparked an entire reworking of his views.

“My daughter was born with a heart problem. For two and a half years now I’ve been looking after her. She can’t be left alone for her for a second,” he explained. “My life is very much like a hermit. I’m awake all night, every single night. I’m living a very medicalized life.”

His daughter’s very serious condition means that she’s sometimes abruptly hospitalized and can go from being well to falling into a life-threatening condition in just a half hour’s time.

While some tend to blame God when loved ones experience illnesses, Coren has experienced quite the opposite, telling TheBlaze that his struggles have sparked an evangelical faith journey.

“I’m lucky because I have that Christian footprint behind me. I know the stories,” he said. “One of the usual byproducts of being a militant atheist is knowing what you’re militant against.”

While Coren had a good command over the contents of the gospels before, though, he said he’s now reading them through a very different lens: by viewing them as the word of God.
Scott Coren and his daughter

“It’s almost rediscovering my own culture. I think God uses everything some way to reach somebody,” he said, noting that he’s spent his life ignoring signs and revelations. “There’s actually a comfort in denying God, ironically, in having things objectively happen as a matter of chance.”

As for his daughter, Coren said that she still needs surgery, but that her prognosis is positive.

And though he’s been confined to his home and consumed with familial needs, the newfound Christian has found the time to pen a new book titled, ”Matthew 13:44” — a literary project that is loosely based on his struggles surrounding his daughter’s heart condition.

“It’s a catharsis. It was a way of analyzing the experience I’ve been through,” he said of the fictional story. “The skeleton is my story, but it’s also a mystery, a bit of a thriller.

Coren said he wanted to focus in the text on how bad things sometimes happen in life — but that people can and often do find the strength to pick up the pieces and move forward.

Find out more about “Matthew 13:44″ here.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/09/15/author-and-former-militant-atheist-reveals-what-led-him-to-christianity/
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 04:42:28 PM

Religionists might want to work on being tolerant of atheists, because they are not.  Think they ever will?

This is not a God question.  This is a live and let live problem.  You do your thang, I'll do mine.

To whom it may concern: 

I won't intrude on you, burn your bible or Quran, or Torah, or any other 'holy' book, censor your speech, dictate your speech (like make you say a public pledge declaring you live under my sky fairies) take down your icons, dictate the terms of your healthcare, whether you are male or female, straight or gay or anything between;  dictate the percentage of your wealth you must give to charity according to my doctrine (assuming I have one), attempt to force you to obey govt laws based on my convictions or the convictions of my homeboys, or literally kill you if you don't agree with my ideas about the universe, or rhetorically condemn you to virtual eternal torture if you refuse to accept my way of seeing things.  I won't do any of those things; that is my pledge to you. 

One small exception:  I do not pledge that I will refrain from arguing and disagreement with your beliefs if I find them absurd.  It's a nuanced exception, but an exception nevertheless....disagreement is neither fear, hostility, or intolerance.  It is just disagreement. 

Would you fervent believers, you religionists make the same pledge?     

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 04:55:49 PM

Atheism is simply one of the methods that Satan deludes the minds of people with, to turn them away from God so that they won't be saved.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: