Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:06:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't you wish you never had any alcohol?  (Read 12284 times)
lepirate

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

Garbochock

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 05:25:43 PM

Yeah, Alcohol was the first drug I was addicted to. I wish there were no drugs except the ones that grow from the ground naturally..
Alcohol is not really unnatural, and it actually exist naturally in nature (thanks to naturally occurring yeast).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
karthus

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 02:30:38 AM

Yeah, Alcohol was the first drug I was addicted to. I wish there were no drugs except the ones that grow from the ground naturally..
Alcohol is not really unnatural, and it actually exist naturally in nature (thanks to naturally occurring yeast).

this how people in prison make alcohol right, from collecting fruits.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 02:59:42 AM

Well, I think it generally involves dirty socks, fruit juice boxes, and a whole lot of unintentional vinegar production - but yeah, basically. Tongue

Making wine at home is terribly easy and costs roughly nothing in supplies outside the actual fruit you use (assuming you're not fortunate enough to have fruits on your property or in a public place where you can pick). You can even use bread yeast if you don't want to spend extra on higher-ABV brewing or wine yeast. You can take a 2L soda bottle, or a fruit juice bottle, or a gallon jug, keep the cap very loosely closed (so at no pressure difference, there's no exchange of air, but it starts hissing at you or popping it's lid a bit once the yeast starts outputting gas) and ensure you've sterilized everything you're using (boil or freeze the fruit, use a weak bleach solution and fill the container you want to use, sloshing it around every 20m or so, then rinse thoroughly -- allegedly, hobos simply make their wine in discarded bleach containers since they're effectively sterilized already and not at a high-enough concentration to harm the yeast while having a slight anti-microbial effect on whatever nasties might try growing). That makes gross wine, though -- it needs to be filtered, preferably at least three times through a coffee filter.

Liquor is more difficult. You want to start with a filtered wine which has completely finished fermenting with wine yeast. I've successfully distilled using a large pot (with a thick, ceramic bowl floating in the center) over an electric stove with aluminum foil on top using ice on top of the foil to make the divot and encourage condensation. You simply put the wine in the large pot, turn the heat on ~medium, and check the temperature. Once the wine reaches ~172*F, dump everything from your floating ceramic bowl into the sink (it's mostly methanol) and bring the heat down until the wine temperature stabilizes at ~200*F. Keep it there for a couple hours (replenishing ice stocks as needed). Then empty whatever's left in the large pot, clean it, and dump the contents of the ceramic bowl into the large pot. Repeat this process two more times (once with liquor @ 190*F, and a last pass @ 180*F) and you should have some fairly strong alcohol. Just be prepared to get a little from a lot - similar to cheesemaking -- you start with this massive amount and you're going through multiple processes to get out the stuff you don't want. Similar to cheesemaking, good equipment is going to give you far superior results, and the ghetto pot method's a pretty shitty and cumbersome process compared to some of the stuff you can build at home or buy online (yes, you can buy little distilleries for the home, and some even work with conduction heaters).

With the end liquor, though, you can do whatever you'd like to make it into a quick, rough approximation your preferred liquor. TBH, there shouldn't be much more than a negligible amount of flavor from whatever you produced it from -- all this "vodka from [insert exotic ingredient]" bullshit is just that. You can, for example, turn rice wine to a rough version of whiskey with a mason jar and some charcoal (umm... natural charcoal -- don't use briquettes, for God's sake!) - and because you have a high amount of surface volume, you don't need to wait years for age like you would if you had a giant supply of liquor aging in traditional, giant charred barrel.

Cigarettes, similarly, can be made easily and cheaply at home, and of course, they're quite natural, too (not to say, in any way, that they're healthful). I have no idea why people are buying cigarettes at stores and gas stations these days. Use that Internet you pay for, invest ~$40 in an injection roller which lasts practically forever (alternately, some states allow you to lease time on fancy automatic rolling machines at tobacco stores, but this is an unnecessary expense and who the Hell wants to wait around in a tobacco shop with all those damned weirdos?), buy 5lbs of "pipe tobacco" and ~10 200-packs of filters, and you're good to go. It doesn't take long to get the muscle memory right to push out a few cartons of perfect cigarettes an hour, which should hopefully last an addict at least a couple weeks. Lips sealed I actually ran the numbers on this one... it should cost significantly under $20 to make a carton of cigarettes at home, while most people are paying $40-50, or something like $80 in the particularly tax-happy states of the US.

If you're really too lazy for that biz (and I'll admit, it can be messy, but we have an unfinished basement serving almost no purpose, so whatever), you can also simply buy "little cigars" online. Ironically, "cigarette" literally means "little cigar," but legally, a "cigar" generally only needs to be wrapped in tobacco leaves (including pulverized leaves which look just like brown paper) to avoid the punitive tax rates in most states - and yes, they companies making this do put filters on these just like "real cigarettes" because the law's that fucking stupid. I'm sure there're better brands, but the only ones I've tried are here, and they taste like shit, smoke like you're trying to suck air out of a clenched asshole.... but they're unbelievably cheap. (side-note: WCC is crazy about promo codes and clearance sales -- I've bought decent and large cigars at ~$.85/ea shipped there)
lepirate

Garbochock

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 06:55:24 AM

Well, I think it generally involves dirty socks, fruit juice boxes, and a whole lot of unintentional vinegar production - but yeah, basically. Tongue

Making wine at home is terribly easy and costs roughly nothing in supplies outside the actual fruit you use (assuming you're not fortunate enough to have fruits on your property or in a public place where you can pick). You can even use bread yeast if you don't want to spend extra on higher-ABV brewing or wine yeast. You can take a 2L soda bottle, or a fruit juice bottle, or a gallon jug, keep the cap very loosely closed (so at no pressure difference, there's no exchange of air, but it starts hissing at you or popping it's lid a bit once the yeast starts outputting gas) and ensure you've sterilized everything you're using (boil or freeze the fruit, use a weak bleach solution and fill the container you want to use, sloshing it around every 20m or so, then rinse thoroughly -- allegedly, hobos simply make their wine in discarded bleach containers since they're effectively sterilized already and not at a high-enough concentration to harm the yeast while having a slight anti-microbial effect on whatever nasties might try growing). That makes gross wine, though -- it needs to be filtered, preferably at least three times through a coffee filter.
I've been doing some hobo wine (not in bleach containers though) recently (because I'm a student, I'm poor and I like alcohol lol). Some of it has actually turned out quite nice. I'm actually gonna go right now and check if my apple wine is done yet.
picolo (OP)

Activity: 1022

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 05:30:37 AM

Alcohol is natural but a lot of natural things can be dangerous. I won't give examples as you can all come up with tens of them in a minute.

I've been doing some hobo wine (not in bleach containers though) recently (because I'm a student, I'm poor and I like alcohol lol). Some of it has actually turned out quite nice. I'm actually gonna go right now and check if my apple wine is done yet.

Be careful not to hurt your health too much, maybe some very cheap wine would be a better option?
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:29:21 AM

i haven't had alcohol or been drunk since new years eve of 2010.. i don't care for it much. i prefer to get high, but i'm not much of a weed smoker either.
lepirate

Garbochock

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:56:26 AM

Be careful not to hurt your health too much, maybe some very cheap wine would be a better option?
This is cheap wine. Not more dangerous than the ones you buy from stores.
picolo (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 04:31:04 PM

I am sure it is not if it is made correctly but badly made liquor can hurt you more than cheap liquor you would buy in the store, correct?

i haven't had alcohol or been drunk since new years eve of 2010.. i don't care for it much. i prefer to get high, but i'm not much of a weed smoker either.

It is very hard to pursue your life dreams on Weed.
lepirate

Garbochock

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 03:52:04 PM

I am sure it is not if it is made correctly but badly made liquor can hurt you more than cheap liquor you would buy in the store, correct?
Not really, that's actually a myth. You can't accidentally make methanol (it's the "bad" alcohol that makes you blind/kills you) from fermenting.
However, the finished homemade product might not taste good though.
picolo (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 04:52:02 PM

Not really, that's actually a myth. You can't accidentally make methanol (it's the "bad" alcohol that makes you blind/kills you) from fermenting.

So what should I think of what I heard : people drink bad vodka in Russia and it is worse for their health than the vodka you would buy in a store
lepirate

Garbochock

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 07:29:26 PM

So what should I think of what I heard : people drink bad vodka in Russia and it is worse for their health than the vodka you would buy in a store
Sometimes illegal producers add methanol or ethylene glycol to the booze just to make more profit (since that is cheaper).
Therefore you should only buy stuff you know comes from serious vendors. However, if you make your own homemade stuff, that's not dangerous.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 07:35:52 PM

I've had lots of good times on alcohol and will continue to ruin myself occasionally with it. Never having a hangover probably helps.

The more time I spend around other drinkers though, the more I notice how few either drink purely for fun or behave in a reasonably acceptable manner while drunk.

I wouldn't bother if I was constantly causing trouble or felt I was dependent on it. I don't go to gatherings where booze will cause problems, which is most of them. And there's no way in hell I'd ever be in a relationship with a problem drinker.

For me it's entirely a tool for pleasure. If it ever wasn't that then I'd quit.
picolo (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 08:53:57 PM

I've had lots of good times on alcohol and will continue to ruin myself occasionally with it. Never having a hangover probably helps.

The more time I spend around other drinkers though, the more I notice how few either drink purely for fun or behave in a reasonably acceptable manner while drunk.

I wouldn't bother if I was constantly causing trouble or felt I was dependent on it. I don't go to gatherings where booze will cause problems, which is most of them. And there's no way in hell I'd ever be in a relationship with a problem drinker.

For me it's entirely a tool for pleasure. If it ever wasn't that then I'd quit.

Yes but the risk is to damage your health or that it becomes something else than a tool for pleasure before you quit

Sometimes illegal producers add methanol or ethylene glycol to the booze just to make more profit (since that is cheaper).
Therefore you should only buy stuff you know comes from serious vendors. However, if you make your own homemade stuff, that's not dangerous.

OK thanks for the information; I won't buy any alcohol from illegal producers but it is nice to know more about it
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 02:13:19 AM

Wine won't contain enough methanol to damage you (unless you're a full-retard drunk). The issue comes in distilling since, like ethanol, methanol has a boiling point significantly below water's boiling point (side-note: the boiling points given for ethanol, methanol, and water need to be used with a grain of salt, since the boiling point will change given the liquids are not divided up in pure forms and thus will not exactly "conform" to the boiling points for the pure substances). This is why you want to dump the alcohol as it comes up to temperature (if you're only doing one pass, you'll want to dump out a bit more at the beginning). Even though it's probably the highest-proof alcohol you'll distill in the pass, it's largely methanol -- no good. Anyone with enough knowledge to set up a still should know this. The reason why we talk about methanol not as a theoretical problem but a real problem is because the US government blinded and murdered thousands by requiring methanol as a pseudo-denaturuant in alcohol production as an attempt to enforce prohibition.
picolo (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 04:31:39 AM

Wine won't contain enough methanol to damage you (unless you're a full-retard drunk). The issue comes in distilling since, like ethanol, methanol has a boiling point significantly below water's boiling point (side-note: the boiling points given for ethanol, methanol, and water need to be used with a grain of salt, since the boiling point will change given the liquids are not divided up in pure forms and thus will not exactly "conform" to the boiling points for the pure substances). This is why you want to dump the alcohol as it comes up to temperature (if you're only doing one pass, you'll want to dump out a bit more at the beginning). Even though it's probably the highest-proof alcohol you'll distill in the pass, it's largely methanol -- no good. Anyone with enough knowledge to set up a still should know this. The reason why we talk about methanol not as a theoretical problem but a real problem is because the US government blinded and murdered thousands by requiring methanol as a pseudo-denaturuant in alcohol production as an attempt to enforce prohibition.

n 1926, the federal government increased the amount of methanol, a poisonous alcohol-based substance, required in industrial alcohols, which people at the time used to make bootleg liquor. Faced with the ongoing failure of Prohibition, the increase was intended to discourage people from drinking.

"It gives a greater warning to the drinker that he is getting hold of something that he should leave alone," a government chemist told the New York Times at the time.

A good example of supposedly good intention of the government that is harming the people; they always have a good excuse to take your freedom, haven't they?
picolo (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 06:57:58 PM

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/8/5975605/alcohol-prohibition-poison is something to remember!
malphite

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 07:51:45 PM

i wish I never tasted beer before. I could prob save enough money from it, to get actual 1 bitcoin.
picolo (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 10:12:33 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2015, 05:33:16 PM by picolo

I wished I followed my own advice Grin
picolo (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 05:33:00 PM

Who stopped drinking alcohol as a New Year's resolution? And who successfully not drank for 8 days?
Aggressor66

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 06:11:42 PM

I rarely drink these days, and even when I do, it's only one or two. I got over that feeling of loss of control, I've made many stupid decisions while like that or said some embarrassing things .

Being sober at parties, you really get a sense of how stupid people get while drinking and spotting the people that really shouldn't drink (because they get violent, depressed, etc).
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: