Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:56:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Breadwallet  (Read 4126 times)
indoboycoiner (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:06:20 AM

Anyone here used the Breadwallet app already? Anyone can post a pic? You can post your experience here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:08:35 AM

Is it a Bitcoin app?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 10:14:22 AM

Don't know it and don't use it but see there is a review here

http://www.coinspeaker.com/tag/breadwallet-review/

and a discussion on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/28l60k/breadwallet_fully_functional_bitcoin_wallet_for/

and images can be seen here

http://www.expresscoin.com/wallets/bitcoin/breadwallet

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/breadwallet-bitcoin-wallet/id885251393?mt=8

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:24:04 AM

Ah okay, it's an Apple based wallet. I have a predisposition to categorize all such products as hype and ignore them. Since it is years behind Android products, I have no need to learn about it. If they do anything innovative with it, I will hear about it in main stream media.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:32:47 AM

when a noob is mentioning a wallet that well experienced people have not heard of, then its obvious that the noob is advertising his own product.

i would only advise people to stick in maybe $10 of bitcoin at most into such new/untested/third party services. and never, ever, EVER store your entire hoard in a third party service, even if it has been tested or ben available a long time.

get out of the mindset that third party services (banks) are trustable, simply because they exist. bitcoin is about trusting yourself to hold funds yourself, not someone else.

be careful out there guys.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
voisine

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:29:55 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2014, 04:04:48 PM by voisine

I'm the author of breadwallet. I also coauthored bip39 and took over maintainence of bip38

Breadwallet is the first SPV wallet for ios, so unlike other ios wallets, it's not using any trusted servers for blockchain data, it's a bitcoin network client.

It's also far more secure than any web, desktop or android wallet. All iOS devices are hardware aes encrypted by default, providing good protection in the event of physical theft. And the ios security model protects you from malware (a remote jailbreak exploit would be required for malware to be able access your keys).

Major features:
Bip37 spv
Bip32 hd
Bip39 backup phrase
Bip38 password encrypted key import
Bip70 payment protocol
Open source

cbeast, what android wallet are you using that has these features?

The driving design principle for the project is simplicity and security for regular people, not just bitcoin experts or techies who understand computer security.

I wanted to create a beautiful and intuitive experience, to bring more people to bitcoin while protecting them from theft. I'm also pleased to say that breadwallet is now listed on bitcoin.org "choose your wallet" and received favorable coverage from coindesk: http://www.coindesk.com/ios-users-get-first-decentralized-bitcoin-wallet-breadwallet/
guzazaza

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 05:03:40 AM

when a noob is mentioning a wallet that well experienced people have not heard of, then its obvious that the noob is advertising his own product.

i would only advise people to stick in maybe $10 of bitcoin at most into such new/untested/third party services. and never, ever, EVER store your entire hoard in a third party service, even if it has been tested or ben available a long time.

get out of the mindset that third party services (banks) are trustable, simply because they exist. bitcoin is about trusting yourself to hold funds yourself, not someone else.

be careful out there guys.

Its the app for iOS8. I still didnt use it.
voisine

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:31:17 PM

Current version is for iOS 7.1 and iOS8. Next version will likely be iOS8 only to support touchid integration.
DaveSaldana123

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

A.K.A The Black Marvel

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 03:27:17 AM

Anyone here experience problems about the site?

acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 05:27:29 PM

I'll shy away from this. First, I'm not the biggest Apple fanboy but I do use some of their devices. Second, with Apple's past experience with apps I wouldn't be too keen to use this. Not to mention, their censorship.
voisine

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 08:24:45 PM

@acs267 I can appreciate where you're coming from. Using a locked down platform is a trade off. You are subject to the whims of the device manufacturer. I would encourage you though to consider the security implications of holding bitcoin on a general computing device vs one that limits what can and can't be executed on it. Additionally, apple hardware has very consistent and high standards with respect to hardware encryption of user data, and the secure enclave (where wallet seed is held) that is hardened against em side channel attacks. And with the sandboxed/signed-code-only security model there are far fewer opportunities for malware to get installed.

Remember, gandma is going to click any email attachment she gets sent, and she uses money too.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 09:03:19 PM

I can understand the reticence, after all this is the wild west of bitcoin, but setting that aside for a second this looks like the 'killer' app that everyone (well, at least me) has been waiting for!?

Bitcoin wallet, on your iPhone, without trusting keys to a third party? Point and click payment! I'm pretty excited.

Now, on the downside, I just have to trust voisine, a random guy on the internet that wrote some code, or if you dig around a pretty reliable looking guy that has been involved in all sorts of software/startups/companies/projects. Social presence, bitcoin involvement going back some way, it would have to be a *really* long con....

Well, it wouldn't be the first time and I guess it won't be the last time I trust *someone*

Thanks for this voisine - plz don't steal my monehs Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
voisine

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 03:48:02 AM

I can understand the reticence, after all this is the wild west of bitcoin, but setting that aside for a second this looks like the 'killer' app that everyone (well, at least me) has been waiting for!?

Bitcoin wallet, on your iPhone, without trusting keys to a third party? Point and click payment! I'm pretty excited.

Now, on the downside, I just have to trust voisine, a random guy on the internet that wrote some code, or if you dig around a pretty reliable looking guy that has been involved in all sorts of software/startups/companies/projects. Social presence, bitcoin involvement going back some way, it would have to be a *really* long con....

Well, it wouldn't be the first time and I guess it won't be the last time I trust *someone*

Thanks for this voisine - plz don't steal my monehs Wink

Thanks @sgbett

I've mentioned elsewhere that I'd like to get deterministic builds working for iOS, so you don't have to trust me, just the code which you can verify. Worst case is that I can't get it to build deterministically, but then third parties could still build it from source and do a binary diff, to ensure that any differences are only normal build differences and not a result of different code. I do check to make sure that the app store build is identical the one I upload to apple from my developer account, so we know no apple employee slipped anything in.
GreenCoin22

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 09:48:26 AM

I didn't know it's an IOS wallet if I have not seen so much spam leaflet.

careful everyone.
CheekyChappy

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 08:40:12 PM

I downloaded this to check how it worked and have to thank Voisine for providing a free an easy-on-the-eye, easy to use app.

I will be keeping this on my phone to use for any situation where I might need to send/receive BTC while out and about away from the PC.

Possible additions for the next release:

- Add Touch ID option for verification
- Allow PIN to be between 4 - 8 numbers
- Add option to show live BTC ticker in app as well as shortcut

Thanks Voisine

I know, I know... but the thing is I cannot help it because even though I am an absolute gentleman... I also happen to be a CheekyChappy after all:)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: