Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:00:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ron Paul really should learn something about Bitcoin  (Read 2622 times)
finway (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 07:00:14 AM

http://bloom.bg/JNtoDp

In this video, he debates Paul Krugman,
When Krugman says he lives in 150 ago, he should teach Krugman Bitcoin.
Pitty man.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 08:05:56 AM

I've spoken with Ron Paul's campaign managers about Bitcoin but they never did let me interview him for BitTalk.TV. I'll try again for the Bitcoin Magazine.

steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 09:09:29 AM

No offense, but bitcoin is going to need at least a decade (maybe century)  track record to even be considered in terms of gold.  It is experimental.  Will the block chain become too bloated?  Will it be cracked?  Will the network collapse?  Can it handle 100,000 transactions a second.   To have Paul comment on bitcoin is really lame imho.

Thank god for Paul to make a complete fool out of Krugman.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 04:01:48 PM

The monopoly of fed notes, if not by law, is enforced quasily by taxes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9EI2PrDpmw

And wow, already in his first words Krugman commits several fallacies at once:

Quote from: Krugman
"You can't leave the government out of monetary policy"

⇨ Appeal to authority

"The Federal Reserve is always gonna be in the business of..."

⇨ Appeal to tradition

"If you think you can avoid that, you're living in a world of 150 years ago"

⇨ Non sequitur (logic)

Probably a lot more.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:08:00 PM

lol at krugman when Ron Paul suggests to allow currency competition (do away with legal tender laws and taxes on gold/silver):

Quote from: krugman
Do you really think that people use dollars bills just because the federal government isn't allowing them to use other stuff?

Oh my god, yes, Mr. Krugman, I would happily use other money that crappy inflating FIAT shit (sorry) if only I wasn't forced to pay my taxes in EUR. And I'm not alone.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
allten

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 11:48:41 PM

Ron Paul seems pretty busy with the election.
Maybe after its over you will have some good luck.

To me, you already have his complete opinion about Bitcoin.
He supports freedom in currency.
It's a currency born in the market place.
It doesn't use any coercion of law to operate.
Therefore, he's in complete support.

However, for him to endorse its use, most likely it would
be too technical for Ron to really get interested.
finway (OP)

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 03:05:34 AM

No offense, but bitcoin is going to need at least a decade (maybe century)  track record to even be considered in terms of gold.  It is experimental.  Will the block chain become too bloated?  Will it be cracked?  Will the network collapse?  Can it handle 100,000 transactions a second.   To have Paul comment on bitcoin is really lame imho.
After 10 years, he will probably be dead.
He dosen't need to promote it, he counld just prove that he's not living in 150 years ago.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 03:35:22 AM

+1

The internet too, 100 years minimum before I'll be comfortable using it.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
herzmeister
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 07:55:15 AM

oh wow, slightly related: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/t1ygb/iama_nobel_prizewinning_economist_and_new_york/

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 03:30:16 PM

lol at krugman when Ron Paul suggests to allow currency competition (do away with legal tender laws and taxes on gold/silver):

Quote from: krugman
Do you really think that people use dollars bills just because the federal government isn't allowing them to use other stuff?

Oh my god, yes, Mr. Krugman, I would happily use other money that crappy inflating FIAT shit (sorry) if only I wasn't forced to pay my taxes in EUR. And I'm not alone.

Yes. Thank you.

Krugman says things that make me think there's no possible way he can be intelligent, educated and in any way knowledgeable and actually believe those things.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
TheBitMan

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 08:48:50 PM

The polls are definitely fixed...who the hell would vote for Romney can't you tell he just looks and sounds like a corrupt person. Ron Paul is the only person who represents the people running for President.
smickles

Activity: 446

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 08:52:59 PM

The monopoly of fed notes, if not by law, is enforced quasily by taxes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9EI2PrDpmw

And wow, already in his first words Krugman commits several fallacies at once:

"You can't leave the government out of monetary policy"

⇨ Appeal to authority

"The Federal Reserve is always gonna be in the business of..."

⇨ Appeal to tradition

"If you think you can avoid that, you're living in a world of 150 years ago"

⇨ Non sequitur (logic)

Probably a lot more.
It's always nice to see someone point out fallacies Cheesy

hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 09:34:01 PM

The polls are definitely fixed...who the hell would vote for Romney can't you tell he just looks and sounds like a corrupt person. Ron Paul is the only person who represents the people running for President.

Which polls?  Ron wins all the independent ones...  Attendance at his speeches is about a factor 10 larger than the next most popular candidate, right?  Internet presence more like a factor 20 lead in support?   He's always had the majority of active military support even mainstream media can't hide that right? 

just ask google: 
"mitt romney wins poll"  - 7 results
"ron paul wins poll" - 27,700 results

Will be interesting to see what all these RP delegates will do in Tampa Smiley 

http://www.political.com/Reports/93_Percent_Favorable_Opinion_Ron_Paul

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 10:19:14 PM

Ron Paul seems pretty busy with the election.
Maybe after its over you will have some good luck.

To me, you already have his complete opinion about Bitcoin.
He supports freedom in currency.
It's a currency born in the market place.
It doesn't use any coercion of law to operate.
Therefore, he's in complete support.

However, for him to endorse its use, most likely it would
be too technical for Ron to really get interested.

It's not that it's too technical for Ron, nor is it true that he is unaware of it's existance.  I know that he has, at least, been introduced to it.  As has his son Rand.  Bitcoin is as dangerous a topic for a US politcal official as anything else, and one that need not be addressed.  The campaign could no more accept donations in bitcoin than it could accept donations in Euros; or for that matter, US Federal Reserve notes in person.  It's the campaign finance & reporting laws that get into the way.  Ron has made is opinion on alternative & competitive currencies well known, so he would be neither for nor against bitcoin.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 10:21:48 PM

+1

I lold

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 11:38:42 PM

+1

Nice one.  Wink
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 01:05:59 AM

It's always nice to see someone point out fallacies Cheesy
I'll do it for 1BTC/hour  Wink
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 02:39:26 PM

No offense, but bitcoin is going to need at least a decade (maybe century)  track record to even be considered in terms of gold.  

You mean we need a decade to see the Bitcoin exchange rate reach 15000 dollars?

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 03:44:24 PM

Granted they're blurry, those are bitcoins behind his head

Be humble!
herzmeister
Legendary