Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:13:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitInstant's New Director of Legal Affairs  (Read 4828 times)
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 08:45:37 PM

Hello Community,

The legality surrounding Bitcoin is often confusing, and this has hampered both Bitcoin startups and venture investments into this industry. This is only natural, as Bitcoin is a phenomenon without precedent, and transcends national borders.

To help our company with this, we've brought on board Patrick Murck, from the Seattle area as Director of Legal Affairs. He's an attorney and Principal at Engage Legal, a "gamification pioneer," and virtual economy expert. Patrick has significant experience in digital currencies, and brings his knowledge of regulatory issues governing the use of virtual economies and alternative payment systems to BitInstant.

He will also be joining this forum as 'virtuallylaw' and contributing to the Legal sub-board, so please welcome him to the community. .

His expertise will help us move into new markets and cover our butts on the current ones Wink Patrick's as excited about Bitcoin as we are, and he's greatly looking forward to fighting the good fight with us.

Time is Money!

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 09:08:41 PM

Hello Community,

The legality surrounding Bitcoin is often confusing, and this has hampered both Bitcoin startups and venture investments into this industry. This is only natural, as Bitcoin is a phenomenon without precedent, and transcends national borders.

To help our company with this, we've brought on board Patrick Murck, from the Seattle area as Director of Legal Affairs. He's an attorney and Principal at Engage Legal, a "gamification pioneer," and virtual economy expert. Patrick has significant experience in digital currencies, and brings his knowledge of regulatory issues governing the use of virtual economies and alternative payment systems to BitInstant.

He will also be joining this forum as 'virtuallylaw' and contributing to the Legal sub-board, so please welcome him to the community. .

His expertise will help us move into new markets and cover our butts on the current ones Wink Patrick's as excited about Bitcoin as we are, and he's greatly looking forward to fighting the good fight with us.

Time is Money!

-Charlie
Get him in contact with the CLAG too! Smiley

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
JDBound

Activity: 150
Merit: 108

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 09:34:10 PM

I'm sure we'll be in touch as soon as I get done with these exams/papers this week.
virtuallylaw

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 09:40:52 PM

Thanks Charlie!

As a new member of the community here, I'm hoping I can learn from you all and contribute something meaningful along the way.

Looking forward to the challenges ahead and fighting for a sane legal and regulatory environment for true financial innovation.

@Coinabul, thank you for pointing me in CLAG's direction, always good to find some like-minded people to share with and advocate alongside.

--PM
virtuallylaw

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 09:43:02 PM

I'm sure we'll be in touch as soon as I get done with these exams/papers this week.

Thanks @JDBound, look forward to it.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 10:05:13 PM

Patrick - please note you'll need something clever, silly, obnoxious, prescient, or foolish written somewhere on your profile before the community will accept you Wink
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 10:29:07 PM

Patrick - please note you'll need something clever, silly, obnoxious, prescient, or foolish written somewhere on your profile before the community will accept you Wink
Horse masks encouraged. Smiley

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 10:45:25 PM

Making Bitcoin a global currency should be your ideal.  Grin

Welcome to the forum Virtuallylaw.

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 10:47:05 PM

Or just a smug face on some random photograph if you're French.

HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 12:31:40 AM

welcome on board.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 07:37:36 AM

Hi Patrick,

Congratulations on the new role at BitInstant! I followed your work at EngageLegal. Does this mean that you are exclusive now or can you still take on other bitcoin-related clients?

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
Tuxavant

Activity: 784

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 12:52:09 PM

Important question...

Are you paying Patrick in Bitcoin?

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 01:03:38 PM

Important question...

+1
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 01:11:29 PM

Important question...

+1

Some members of the team are already paid in Bitcoin, but its their choice  Smiley

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 01:15:50 PM

Important question...

+1

Some members of the team are already paid in Bitcoin,

Great news Smiley
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 01:46:09 PM

Some members of the team are already paid in Bitcoin, but its their choice  Smiley

OMG I want this so bad.

terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 01:48:50 PM

Important question...

+1

What a nice way to dodge the question!
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 01:52:34 PM

What a nice way to dodge the question!

Wow... Indeed. haha Apparently, I'm easily distracted by shiny Bitcoins and completely missed that!

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 02:01:14 PM

Bah, it's understandable that they want to keep some things private.

I guess with time, everybody will trust bitcoins enough to all want their salaries in bitcoins.

I for one would take bitcoins over euros anytime Smiley
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 02:09:57 PM

Thanks Charlie!

As a new member of the community here, I'm hoping I can learn from you all and contribute something meaningful along the way.

Looking forward to the challenges ahead and fighting for a sane legal and regulatory environment for true financial innovation.

@Coinabul, thank you for pointing me in CLAG's direction, always good to find some like-minded people to share with and advocate alongside.

--PM

Welcome.

The legal profession has a terrible reputation––one that is definitely deserves! But as one who's spent all my life around attorneys and worked with them very closely in my own business endeavors, I think your coming onboard is a move in the right direction, for people almost always underestimate what an advantage attorneys bring for legal protection, as well as for their expertise in the necessary processes for successfully running a business. Bitcoin is dominated by computer professionals and experts, but to grow it needs professionals with other backgrounds, especially, law. So again, welcome!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: