Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:06:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solved!  (Read 2696 times)
Zakcy (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 11:41:21 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2012, 07:19:45 AM by Zakcy

Problem solved! Thanks everyone!
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 11:44:06 PM

The advantage you gain is uptime, but the disadvantages are fees and pool hoppers. If you mine PPS, there is a fee of 10%, and if you mine Proportional there is a fee of 3% and you will lose out to hoppers.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 11:47:19 PM

Last thing I should mention - Once my GPUs start mining in the specified pool, there's no turning back unless I decide to re-connect my monitor to each and every rig, so I want to make only one decision really.

Huh

SSH? Remote Desktop? cgminer API?
Zakcy (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 11:53:19 PM

The advantage you gain is uptime, but the disadvantages are fees and pool hoppers. If you mine PPS, there is a fee of 10%, and if you mine Proportional there is a fee of 3% and you will lose out to hoppers.

In regards to Uptime, I believe TripleMining has a very decent uptime, considering how I've never encountered a 404 or read complaints about downtime. So Deepbit has very reputable uptime then? That's something I'll take note of then.

What are the fees over at Deepbit? I couldn't exactly pinpoint the fees. All I know is, at TripleMining, I only lose 1% of my rewards. Not bad I guess? (I wouldn't actually know lol)

What are pool hoppers? Do other miners affect me? I know that I won't be hopping pools, but I don't understand how other pool-hopping miners could affect my rewards.
But this ties in with the fees, huh? This is another thing I don't understand... What I thought it simply was: (Blocks solved by myself) x (0.000002234, or whatever the rate is) = Payout.

Is it really not this simple?
Zakcy (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 11:56:01 PM

Last thing I should mention - Once my GPUs start mining in the specified pool, there's no turning back unless I decide to re-connect my monitor to each and every rig, so I want to make only one decision really.

Huh

Just doing whatever allows the least maintenance, haha. Basically, once my rigs are set up, I don't want to have to touch them again. I don't really want to be that dedicated to monitoring the mining or computers, so I don't want to have a C&C/SSH/API set up. I mean, I'll check up the small room to make sure nothings on fire once a day, but that's likely the furthest I'll go.

Sorry for seeming like such a lazy miner Tongue
Tittiez

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 12:13:33 AM
Last edit: May 03, 2012, 12:40:09 AM by Tittiez

In regards to Uptime, I believe TripleMining has a very decent uptime, considering how I've never encountered a 404 or read complaints about downtime. So Deepbit has very reputable uptime then? That's something I'll take note of then.

What are the fees over at Deepbit? I couldn't exactly pinpoint the fees. All I know is, at TripleMining, I only lose 1% of my rewards. Not bad I guess? (I wouldn't actually know lol)

What are pool hoppers? Do other miners affect me? I know that I won't be hopping pools, but I don't understand how other pool-hopping miners could affect my rewards.
But this ties in with the fees, huh? This is another thing I don't understand... What I thought it simply was: (Blocks solved by myself) x (0.000002234, or whatever the rate is) = Payout.

Is it really not this simple?

Basically, Deepbit is a well known and respected pool, and have great uptime.

The fees are very large with Deepbit. PPS, Pay Per Share, takes an entire 10% fee per share, so your getting 10% less then you would with a 0% fee pool.
If you mine proportional with Deepbit, there is a 3% fee. The problem with Proportional is Pool Hoppers. Here is a good thread about it, outdated but still gives you an idea about how pool hoppers reduce your income.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=24966.0

Different pools have different ways to calculate payouts, for instance Triple mining uses PPLNS, which is a lot like Proportional, but only pay for the last "N" shares instead of all the shares submitted in the round, and in triple mining's case, is the shares submitted in the last 24 hours. There is better explanations of different reward systems on this wiki page, along with other pools: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools

What I recommend, you should try to mine at a pool with zero fees. Pools such as EMC and Ozcoin are considered trustworthy. And I just love all the stats and graphs and how organized the MaxBTC pool's website is. Or maybe you should point your 30GH/s at a smaller pool, i'm sure they would welcome you. Lots of pools have threads here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=41.0
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 12:18:44 AM

Bitminter is 0% fee, pays out all TX fees and has merge mining.  It uses PPLNS (hop proof and same as triple mine).
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 12:52:06 AM

p2pool is free, hopper proof, and as stable as stable gets because it's not centralized, it's peer to peer.

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=18313.0

Basically, install it on one of your rigs, point all your miners to it, and mine away!

Once I found out about it switched my measly 2.4gh/s to it.  Sorry BTCGuild.

Hey guys!

My mining rigs are finally complete, and I now mine at a rate of approx 10GH/s. I've been mining over at TripleMining ever since I began (about a couple months back) simply for the referrals thing, where you get 1% of the rewards from all your referrals. Additionally, the fee I pay is 1%, which goes to the weekly jackpot (1BTC jackpot, not much).

I'm wondering if I should make a permanent switch over to Deepbit, and I was hoping you guys could decide for me. I plan on purchasing more processing power, with the goal of 30GH/s.

Additionally, I noticed that the total mining power at TripleMining averages to about 80GH/s, as opposed to Deepbit's total mining power at over 3TB/s, which gave me the assumption that all the major/super-dedicated miners mine there.

After I reach my goal, I may decide to continue expanding, or leave it as is, depending on the maintenance.

So I'm wondering if you guys believe it would be better (in the long run) to mine at Deepbit. I'm still somewhat of an amateur with understanding the benefits and disadvantages of each and every pool. Deepbit just seems most promising at the moment, that's all.

Thanks for the help Smiley

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 02:24:34 AM

Additionally, I noticed that the total mining power at TripleMining averages to about 80GH/s, as opposed to Deepbit's total mining power at over 3TB/s, which gave me the assumption that all the major/super-dedicated miners mine there.
It's almost certainly the opposite. Major super miners care about profits, and profits are at their lowest on a hoppable prop pool with 3% fees or non-hoppable but heart-stopping PPS 10% fee. If anything's keeping people at deepbit, it's inertia, perceived advantage of mining with the biggest, language issues, and botnets. I work in concert with some of the biggest miners that use cgminer when developing it, and none of them use deepbit except as a backup pool.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 02:26:11 AM

Huh

Just doing whatever allows the least maintenance, haha. Basically, once my rigs are set up, I don't want to have to touch them again. I don't really want to be that dedicated to monitoring the mining or computers, so I don't want to have a C&C/SSH/API set up. I mean, I'll check up the small room to make sure nothings on fire once a day, but that's likely the furthest I'll go.

Sorry for seeming like such a lazy miner Tongue

I have 12 GH/s and I'd be pissed if I didn't have SSH setup on all the machines. I like to check the temperatures on the rigs when I visit my location once a week and that'd be a bitch plugging in to each w/ a monitor.
GernMiester

Activity: 285

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 02:39:23 AM

I cant get past "have to connect a monitor to each machine". WTF!! Really!!
This has to be a joke
wabber

Activity: 85

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 12:51:22 PM

You should use p2pool. It's not that hard to set up and there are plenty of tutorials around. You won't have to pay any fees and you get the TX fees too. Another advantage is, that you're pretty much your own pool then which means it is on as long as your internet works and the p2pool client didn't crash (which never happened for me). And of course since you're running your own pool noone can scam you as long as your p2pool client isn't corrupted.

If you consider setting up your own p2pool node please note that you will have some more stales, but don't worry as long as your stale rate isn't higher than the stale rate of the p2pool network you won't lose anything, sounds strange but makes sense if you know how p2pool works.

I'd suggest to install a p2pool node on one mining rig and point all other rigs to it and you should use a traditional as backup pool.
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 01:39:18 PM

You should use p2pool. It's not that hard to set up and there are plenty of tutorials around. You won't have to pay any fees and you get the TX fees too. Another advantage is, that you're pretty much your own pool then which means it is on as long as your internet works and the p2pool client didn't crash (which never happened for me). And of course since you're running your own pool noone can scam you as long as your p2pool client isn't corrupted.

If you consider setting up your own p2pool node please note that you will have some more stales, but don't worry as long as your stale rate isn't higher than the stale rate of the p2pool network you won't lose anything, sounds strange but makes sense if you know how p2pool works.

I'd suggest to install a p2pool node on one mining rig and point all other rigs to it and you should use a traditional as backup pool.

I was getting stales and "dead on arrivals" through the roof when I initially started using p2pool.

Then I upgraded my miners to the latest version.  Now my stale rate is 0%.

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
kinlo

Activity: 263

Pool operator of Triplemining.com

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 03:13:35 PM

Let me quickly reply to this:

- Triplemining has had a 100% uptime since we introduced the second mining server.  The 2 mining servers are located in different datacenters, on different networks and are running 100% independently from eachother.  If you configure your miner correctly to do a proper failover in case of troubles, you will end up with a very high availability of the pool, even if you have some routing issues as it is very unlikely that internet troubles would affect both pool servers.  This is an advantage you will not get with deepbit, as they are hosted at one single location.

- Triplemining has much lower fee's then deepbit; and know that the 1% "fee" if you want to call it that, is redistributed to the miners in various methods such as a jackpot.

- Triplemining is almost one year running; and there have never been any complaints about the quality of the service.  Yes, deepbit has been stable too, but that doesn't mean Triplemining is not reliable or trustworthy.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 03:17:18 PM

Deepbit:C'mon lets not start this argument again
Triple mining: He's already there, He's thinking of switching

Go run on P2Pool, Seriously.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2012, 06:02:10 PM

Go run on P2Pool, Seriously.

No, switch to BitMinter. They need to grow. EclipseMC and OzCoin are also great.

Tittiez

Activity: 686

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 06:44:02 PM

I myself use GPUMax and have Bitparking for private work and as a failover. Work that GPUMax doesn't provide fast enough leaks to Bitparking, and when there is no leasework the private pool is Bitparking anyway. Keeps stales down.
randomproof

Activity: 61

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 07:08:22 PM

I think there is a bitcoin proxy you can setup that each rig connects to and the proxy is what connects to the mining pool to get work.  A setup like that might help you so you only need to change one thing to change pools.  To throw in my 2 cents you may want to look into solo mining with that much power at hand.

Donations to me:   19599Y3PTRF1mNdzVjQzePr67ttMiBG5LS
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 07:16:59 PM

Hey OP, that's why I penned this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77545.msg861949#msg861949

My guess is that you'll be losing out on an additional $8-$12 per day by using Deepbit.
mitak64

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 08:10:36 PM

The OP sounds so ridiculous  Huh
10Gh/s already, has no clue about simple math (still has questions about pool fees)
Got a sheep mentality - "Deepbit must better, after all everybody is on it !"
Planning to expand to 30Gh/s, has no idea about remote access, walks around with a monitor (CRT ?) in hand instead Cheesy
Don't care for monitoring the machines - can't be bothered, but still drops in the room occasionally, to check if the rigs didn't run away  Grin

Zakcy, let me ask you - where did you get the money ? You mom's purse ?
I hope you are 15 and all this is just a wet dream of yours.

I'm just scared to think, how many others like him are out there...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: