Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:42:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I lost faith in rpietila's Monero Pump  (Read 1262 times)
JesseVentura (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 01:11:55 PM

I entirely agree. This whole rpietila pumping is getting on my nerves

What do you personally think are the chances of a coin killer attack? And second, did you sell a percentage of your stash?

I am quite an insider in the situation, since I belong to the remedy team, and have communicated with all the main actors. I cannot evaluate the tech, but I know the turns of the events.

I currently give a 92-96% chance that Cryptonote will live to see the next month Smiley

As a result, I believe that currently the market is too bearish.

Are you joking us? You know full well cryptonotes are dead and a thing of the past, just like myspace. You coming here and giving your opinion that there is a 92-96% that cryptonotes will live on is pure bullshit and a clear attempt to salvage any value that your bagholding self now needs to sell off.

You're just trying to buy time to get out on everyone else... Some of these people may actually believe you but those are the sheep.

Stop lying you sack of shit and admit you fucked up! XMR is dead!
JesseVentura (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 01:21:09 PM

All I can tell is that it's really really annoying and unfair to behave like this. I admit that I'd be rather happy to observe karma coming back on rpietila presenting itself with Monero's sudden death.
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:02:24 PM

Rats trying to flee the boat, don't help them, but let them drown in their own greed.

Actually, since da coin is dying and there are so many Bagholders...
General McRisto's propaganda now swings into high gear.

He is sending McStooges like IceBreaker to all the quality coins like VIA...
And spamming their threads with "VIA is almost as good as XMR".

Now that their reputation is shot and amateurishness exposed...
They are trying to CO-OPT the good reputations of actual quality coins.

When Vericoin went into a Death Spiral after the rollback...
Every single Coin Pimp on Twitter was a Bagholder... and screaming BUY VRC.

How did that work out?

broekies

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:22:16 PM
Last edit: September 21, 2014, 03:16:23 PM by broekies

XMR will die like other shitcoins with no community

Watch the market reaction when it's revealed this is all unsubstantiated FUD. Already Anonymint is back-pedalling (Surprise, Surprise)
This was an opportunity to buy in cheap for some.
TheFascistMind

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 03:08:12 PM

I think I know what the mitigation is for anonymity aspect of the exploit. I will tell you I think it can be fixed going into the future, but we can't restore the anonymity from the past. It is fucked. Meaning if you thought you were anonymous you were not. The NSA can compute the intersections.

The best we could do (if I am correct) is to quickly checkpoint the code and get it out to 51% of the miners so we can prevent BCX's Time Warp attack. But fluffypony says we don't have to do anything rushed and he is at beach any way.

Then we put the mitigation in place so the future anonymity isn't broken.

However my mitigation proposal may still fail in the future when the attacker (NSA?) owns many inputs to many rings on the block chain. I haven't gotten that far in my very rushed analysis. So maybe I can devise a solution (but unlikely because I won't know which inputs the attacker owns) or it doesn't scale well for the attacker (our best hope but I am not optimistic).

So I would say yes ring signatures may be doomed, but I am not sure yet. Maybe not also. I hope not.

If only XMR was affected, there is one of my emotions that would love to see it destroyed. But on rational thought, I don't want to hurt the innocent parties who invested, some of whom are my friends (including but not just Rpietila).
AKWAnalytics

Activity: 52

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 03:42:36 PM

I think I know what the mitigation is for anonymity aspect of the exploit. I will tell you I think it can be fixed going into the future, but we can't restore the anonymity from the past. It is fucked. Meaning if you thought you were anonymous you were not. The NSA can compute the intersections.

The best we could do (if I am correct) is to quickly checkpoint the code and get it out to 51% of the miners so we can prevent BCX's Time Warp attack. But fluffypony says we don't have to do anything rushed and he is at beach any way.

However my mitigation proposal may still fail in the future when the attacker (NSA?) owns many inputs to many rings on the block chain. I haven't gotten that far in my very rushed analysis. So maybe I can devise a solution (but unlikely because I won't know which inputs the attacker owns) or it doesn't scale well for the attacker (our best hope but I am not optimistic).

So I would say yes ring signatures may be doomed, but I am not sure yet. Maybe not also. I hope not.

If only XMR was affected, there is one of my emotions that would love to see it destroyed. But on rational thought, I don't want to hurt the innocent parties who invested, some of whom are my friends (including but not just Rpietila).

Crickets....

Folks are already losing interest.  My guess is the jig is almost up...
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 03:45:34 PM

One thing is for sure... XMR has the most threads ever with it's name in the title.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 04:32:47 PM

So:
Checkpoint the block chain, periodically but unpredictably.

And:
Consider whether the ring signature NSA sybil issue you've contemplated is mitigated through Nash equilibrium effects?  (Unraveling the privacy is complicated by multiple uncooperative entities attempting it, the more the merrier.)  TOR has the same concern, though a less effective implementation due to resources.

Further consider the extent to which initiating such sybiling enriches mining efforts and further secures the coin.

The current plans for extending geographic diversity in userbase will also assist.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
johnmatrix

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 05:44:49 PM

Threads like this one should be placed under FUD and other useless shit category.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: