Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:51:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEWS] Butterfly Labs - Shut Down by US Government  (Read 7695 times)
freeAgent

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 08:23:53 PM

I'm surprised that the hash rate on EMC hasn't dropped at all.
I'm not.  If they are on there they are running small potatoes. I'm #4 there and running only 8TH. Biggest miner on EMC is 33 TH with #2 @ 20TH.

Why are you still mining on EMC?  I would be worried that it will shut down at any moment and any account balances will be locked up.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
spiceminer15

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 08:24:35 PM

I hope this lowers the network hash rate
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 08:24:53 PM

Seeing an ever dropping rate on network hash too mabye diff will spike down n we make more coins again seeing 3 or 4 PH or more and increasing coming down so  who knows maybe will have a reduction in next diff jump and a few after it.

Would be nice to see diff jump back down a little

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2524

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:00:22 PM

I'm surprised that the hash rate on EMC hasn't dropped at all.
I'm not.  If they are on there they are running small potatoes. I'm #4 there and running only 8TH. Biggest miner on EMC is 33 TH with #2 @ 20TH.

Why are you still mining on EMC?  I would be worried that it will shut down at any moment and any account balances will be locked up.
Not a concern because unlike many other pools they pay within minutes of hitting the payout trigger I set. In this case my worst loss would be being out a couple days of hashing and 0.1btc (payout trigger).

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
BitcoinPappi
Legendary

Activity: 915
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:03:58 PM

Finally! Wonder if the other manufacturers with bad business practices and ethics will learn from this ?  They are not so untouchable after all
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:13:24 PM

Finally! Wonder if the other manufacturers with bad business practices and ethics will learn from this ?  They are not so untouchable after all
I doubt they will. Call it the Enron Syndrome: They think they are doing nothing wrong and are only 'pushing the boundaries' of rules and regulations. To folks like that, the hell with the intent of the regs! They feel it is a game to see how far they can go and still be within the letter of the law.

Guess what BFL and Friends such as (ahem) AMT and Joshua Zipkin - you folks long ago crossed over from pushing to flagrant violation and unlike Enron you can't bury the facts in complex transactions.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:14:00 PM

Black Arrow is even worse not only have they robbed their customers the few obsolete miners that have been shipped out have been exploding and bursting into flames. All while they sit back and laugh as they count the millions worth of BTC they've mined.
opieum2

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:42:47 PM

Finally! Wonder if the other manufacturers with bad business practices and ethics will learn from this ?  They are not so untouchable after all
I doubt they will. Call it the Enron Syndrome: They think they are doing nothing wrong and are only 'pushing the boundaries' of rules and regulations. To folks like that, the hell with the intent of the regs! They feel it is a game to see how far they can go and still be within the letter of the law.

Guess what BFL and Friends such as (ahem) AMT and Joshua Zipkin - you folks long ago crossed over from pushing to flagrant violation and unlike Enron you can't bury the facts in complex transactions.

LOL the irony here is these transactions that were done in bitcoin....open book.

"amtminers scam joshua zipkin scammer"
-Joshua Zipkin leaked skype chats http://bit.ly/1s7U2Yb
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
opieum2

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:55:49 PM

Black Arrow is even worse not only have they robbed their customers the few obsolete miners that have been shipped out have been exploding and bursting into flames. All while they sit back and laugh as they count the millions worth of BTC they've mined.

A bunch of these guys are likely in cahoots I know AMT and BA are working out of the same building making miners that much has been confirmed. Here by the admission of the CEO of AMT is a proposal to make that happen. Not sure how far it went, but clearly there was an attempt to make it happen. This was a group chat part of a set of chats leaked to the bitcoin press.

[5/31/2014 1:14:02 AM] Joshua: not that the guys care anyway, i actually rounded everyone in a meeting in amsterdam, all the players and proposed we start some alliance etc
[5/31/2014 1:14:10 AM] Joshua: or at leat a formal association
[5/31/2014 1:14:43 AM] Joshua: everyone was on board and then when i get back no one does anything or responds with more 2-3 line email.. its terrible
[5/31/2014 1:15:04 AM] Joshua: we also found out that cointerra or Bfl was paying to fuck with us on the forum
[5/31/2014 1:15:13 AM] Joshua: Sam from knc said so..
[5/31/2014 1:15:55 AM] Opieum2: Hmm interesting likley BFL they have been pretty much doing alot of underhanded stuff and have gotten caught from what I have been reading up.
[5/31/2014 1:16:24 AM] Joshua: i asked josh directly, told him it was perfectly understable but he said no
[5/31/2014 1:16:47 AM] Joshua: anyway, they dont respect me much because of this situation, not that im out of industry respect or anything

"amtminers scam joshua zipkin scammer"
-Joshua Zipkin leaked skype chats http://bit.ly/1s7U2Yb
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
elduderino

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

Using some expensive heaters

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 11:36:36 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2014, 11:57:59 PM by elduderino

Here's some coverage from the big boys:

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/deceptive-ftc-shuts-down-bitcoin-miner-company-butterfly-labs-n209866

I love this snippet:

In a statement, Butterfly called the FTC's action "heavy-handed" and said the company "literally is in the midst of shipping out completed products.” Butterfly has already shipped more than $33 million worth of machines, it said, and refunded $17 million in canceled orders.

So, I guess they just needed more time, guys.

Apparently, they couldn't find the money or something. They're checking under the couch cushions right now.

Do the things you know you must do first, then worry about the stuff you're not sure about.
Zelek Uther

Activity: 700
Merit: 504

Run a Bitcoin node.

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:13:52 AM

LOL they just needed Two Weeks™!

I must admit, waking up this morning and reading the headline "Butterfly Labs - Shut Down by US Government " really made my day.

Run a Bitcoin node, support the network.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:14:26 AM

So, I guess they just needed more time, guys.

"All we needed was two more weeks and we would have shipped out all our orders ! Honest Abe !"
lol! A line straight out of Joshua Zipkin's playbook.
Later followed by "All existing orders have been shipped"

Someones pantalones de feugo...

Zelek Uther

Run a Bitcoin node.

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 01:12:17 AM

Josh responding to the rumour that BFL got raided by US Marshalls:

Hmmm... the rumour isn't dying down, looks like a persistent rumour:

Pro-tip: posting a receivership notice on your web site is not the right way to squash the rumour...

freeAgent

Activity: 240

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 01:34:01 AM

The website is now probably under the control of the receiver.
Zelek Uther

Run a Bitcoin node.

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 01:38:54 AM

The website is now probably under the control of the receiver.
Agreed. I was just being sarcastic.

I'm off now to post a quarter to Josh so he can "buy a clue"... he should get it in about Two Weeks™.

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:54:14 AM

http://www.butterflylabs.com/management-view/josh-zerlan-3/

"VP Product Development" sounds like a bit more than "just an employee".  In fact, isn't a severe failure of Product Development precisely the reason the company is now in this mess?

Still just an employee. As much as I'd like for Josh to put on his big boy orange jumpsuit, he appears to have no ownership in the company and thus his liability is minimal. Fancy title means little. He had no authority to do anything.

IIRC, the only person who has been convicted so far for the Countrywide debacle was Rebecca Mairone. She was a mid-level executive.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
goozman96

Activity: 728

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:20:30 AM

I can only hope that this is just the beginning. Plenty of other manufacturers need to be taken down.

BTC: 19DKtsdGfQyFzNiEze9KuFQrWGiLDvg6F1 | LTC: LbV6UGyjYbVP49NvQFmuAnkADcaFYvNagK | NMC: NDCdMJmTmGH54Cezmo3CwSxAC7grAoZJbj
sergio

Activity: 313
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 04:59:19 AM

This guys were crooks, I requested a refund for the jalapeno I ordered since I was not getting anything, and the refund was awarded but did not get anything, until 8 months later I got a jalapeno when it was worthless, no one would answer the phone or reply to emails.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 05:13:57 AM

I can only hope that this is just the beginning. Plenty of other manufacturers need to be taken down.

+1 especially those that owe significant compensation to their customers.

Also this might also work to WARN those who are slipping on customer service as well. I don't see the FTC as the only gov't agency in the world that will take a shot a bringing these types of BTC fabricators to court or beat them into acting appropriately. Clearly BFL is lower hanging fruit and will go down with a whimper as customers will finally get some compensation from these crooks at the hands of the FTC.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
dentro

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 06:15:14 AM

Hope they are going to pay for their lies...!  Angry
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: