Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:55:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2,300 billionaires, each holding $600m of cash on average  (Read 3555 times)
Whtwabbit (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:56:48 AM

Be great if some of this money started flowing into Bitcoin

http://rt.com/business/190100-billionaires-hoarding-millions-cash/

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
johncarpe64

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 05:09:52 AM

The reason they are holding so much cash is because they do not want to take investment risks with their money. Bitcoin is anything but a sure thing so I would say it is unlikely that someone holding cash would want to take the risks of price declines of bitcoin.

Billionaires generally do not have the same problems with sending money cheaply that "normal" people do that makes bitcoin attractive to most people
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 05:25:56 AM

Never thought it was $600 million - I wonder how they got that number?  I'm reminded by people like Donald Trump who declared bankruptcy multiple times and almost declared personal bankruptcy due to being asset rich and cash poor.

Although I can understand millionaires holding onto a lot of cash.  Real estate and the stock market could undergo a huge correction and it would be a shame if you lost most of your net worth and had to return to being one of the "peasants" and work some 9-to-5 (ex millionaire suicide is rather common).

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 07:03:28 AM

The reason they are holding so much cash is because they do not want to take investment risks with their money. Bitcoin is anything but a sure thing so I would say it is unlikely that someone holding cash would want to take the risks of price declines of bitcoin.

The longer bitcoin stays around, the more widespread it becomes and the higher it goes in price the  greater risk switches over to a risk of being left holding endless, worthless fiat promises ... network effect of money is covered by game theory (store of value function not medium of exchange).

BTCewdquestion

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 10:51:05 AM

If you were given 1 dollar for every second since the day you were born, you would be a millionaire by 10days old.

At this same rate, you wouldn't become a billionaire until you are 31 yrs old….
V8x8d

Activity: 212
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:16:13 AM

One day the illusion that the $ is a safe haven will shatter. My money is on bank bail-ins.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 12:28:46 PM

It would be even greater if wealth wasn't distributed so disgustingly skewed toward the 0.1%

The reason they are holding so much cash is because they do not want to take investment risks with their money.
This is folly. Fiat scrip IS a major investment risk. History has proven this again and again.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Mr Tea

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:33:12 PM

I'm sure some may invest in bitcoin, but what would be the point? They've already got enough money or more than they could ever need.

CryptoCarmen

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:36:25 PM

If you were given 1 dollar for every second since the day you were born, you would be a millionaire by 10days old.

so you see how far is from millionaire to billionaire?
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 12:47:55 PM

so you see how far is from millionaire to billionaire?
900 millionaires together have less wealth than one billionaire. It's pretty self-explanatory if you ask me - the system is broken.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:49:17 PM

One day the illusion that the $ is a safe haven will shatter. My money is on bank bail-ins.

Well, ask yourself: Are these super powerful, rich people at top moving millions going to simply sit back and relax as their super fortunes vanish? Not in a million years. USD will not fail unless these guys want to imo, because they control everything.
They are not going to allow for big Bitcoin holders to be the new elite, they'll do something about it. I don't know what, but something.

Oh and becoming a millonaire, let alone a billonaire, depends on so many factors that it's mostly luck.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 02:14:37 PM

a billion is an insane amount of money, and no one should have that amount before the whole world has enough food and necessities.

a million is not all that much, i mean it's nice to have, but it's not as much as you'd think.

many people in a western society will actually earn a million or more throughout their lives, but most of it will be eaten away by taxes and also housing and food etc.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 02:35:51 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2014, 02:47:20 PM by Beliathon

...because they control everything.
They control almost everything. Guess what is beyond their reach?

1. The internet
2. Internet-based money, AKA cryptocurrency.

There is a reason these sociopathic tyrants have been trying so desperately to control the net with crap like SOPA & PIPA.

They are not going to allow for big Bitcoin holders to be the new elite, they'll do something about it. I don't know what, but something.
Every time a competitor or threat to the fiat monpooly has emerged in the past, they have responded with violence. That tactic is no longer effective with the advent of decentralized internet money, so they are left with no other choice but to capitulate, or fade.

Some will resist, and they will lose all their wealth. Others will adapt and survive. Either way, we needn't concern ourselves with the welfare of the monsters that ruined the world in the 20th century with their violence-backed monopoly over the power of money.

The violence and mass-deception of the 20th century is over. Now is the time for reason and truth to prevail. Now it's our time.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 10:10:07 PM

It would be even greater if wealth wasn't distributed so disgustingly skewed toward the 0.1%

In a world of 7 billion people, 2,325 makes up approx. 0.000033 % of the population.

The 0.1% total 7,000,000 in number.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:04:03 PM

Clearly a result of QE: Too much free money but nowhere to spend it, exactly like those alt coins

If they mass spend these money, the fiat money's value will crash immediately, but they have nowhere to spend those money, they already have everything and any new project will just waste those money and trigger inflation

V8x8d

Activity: 212
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:13:33 PM

Well, ask yourself: Are these super powerful, rich people at top moving millions going to simply sit back and relax as their super fortunes vanish? Not in a million years. USD will not fail unless these guys want to imo, because they control everything.

Oh and becoming a millonaire, let alone a billonaire, depends on so many factors that it's mostly luck.

Unless you are a member of the Bank of International Settlements, you know nothing.

http://redefininggod.com/2014/09/mainstream-globalist-propaganda-reveals-eastwest-conflict-is-a-farce/
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 11:14:56 PM

The "average" wealthy person will eventually buy into Bitcoin as soon as more widespread adoption is noticed. In my opinion Bitcoin is a sure thing, it is something that will take time for everyone to learn and to adopt. This past year has been excellent for bitcoin. Look at all the merchants adopting BTC, and now PayPal plans on processing BTC payments too? One year ago, not many people would have expected all of this so soon.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:35:17 PM

http://rt.com/business/190100-billionaires-hoarding-millions-cash/

You don't know if it's not.  One buys then launches the price up.
tondaS

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:40:54 PM

Hoarding cash is pretty stupid in my opinion, it can be hyperinflated very quickly...
seems the average $600m is just amount for few month of expences for the billionaires instead Smiley
Whtwabbit (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:54:39 PM

Unless you are a member of the Bank of International Settlements, you know nothing.

http://redefininggod.com/2014/09/mainstream-globalist-propaganda-reveals-eastwest-conflict-is-a-farce/

Thanks for posting that great article, now I just need to go and vomit..

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████