Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 06:00:14 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: view: bitcoin has hit its full potential  (Read 5471 times)
Chuckee

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:44:06 PM

All the replies about what bitcoin "can do" and why it's destined to change the world... all these things, like ordering a taxi or buying pizza online... you can already do with this neat little invention called a credit card. They've actually been around for over 40 years...

Telling people here that bitcoin has maxed out is like walking into a heaven's gate meeting and telling them that there is no mythical space ship in the sky waiting to beam them to heaven. Members of this forum have been holding, and telling each other for the better part of a year that bitcoin is destined to change the world... just because it's so awesome and the sheep don't recognize it yet. Bitcoins are magical beans, you're all just holding and hoping to get rich. But the public is now aware of bitcoin and they're not interested. They don't care that it's centralized. People like centralization.

Why do you think libertarians only get 1 or 2% of the vote? People want a big government to look out for them, and even if they have an independent streak in them, they still don't want a digital currency, which can be potentially lost or stolen from them unless they're some kind of computer security expert. Not to mentioned the 60% decline in value in less than one year. If you think people will ever want bitcoin for anything other than speculating or gambling, then you must be smoking something.
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:15:20 PM

All the replies about what bitcoin "can do" and why it's destined to change the world... all these things, like ordering a taxi or buying pizza online... you can already do with this neat little invention called a credit card. They've actually been around for over 40 years...

Telling people here that bitcoin has maxed out is like walking into a heaven's gate meeting and telling them that there is no mythical space ship in the sky waiting to beam them to heaven. Members of this forum have been holding, and telling each other for the better part of a year that bitcoin is destined to change the world... just because it's so awesome and the sheep don't recognize it yet. Bitcoins are magical beans, you're all just holding and hoping to get rich. But the public is now aware of bitcoin and they're not interested. They don't care that it's centralized. People like centralization.

Why do you think libertarians only get 1 or 2% of the vote? People want a big government to look out for them, and even if they have an independent streak in them, they still don't want a digital currency, which can be potentially lost or stolen from them unless they're some kind of computer security expert. Not to mentioned the 60% decline in value in less than one year. If you think people will ever want bitcoin for anything other than speculating or gambling, then you must be smoking something.

Why would people want to use and save the best form of money ever invented? The same reason you do. The irony isnt lost on me the loudest detractors of bitcoin on the forum are those who secretly seek it the most!
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:22:25 PM

your bank can close your credit card and freeze your account and there's nothing you can do about that.
bitcoin allows you to become your own bank, you can even loan funds to other people without anyone being able to stop you, no credit card can do that.

a system that disrupts 500 years of banking is not going to be perfect 5 years after its been invented, bitcoin's volatility will decline once the volume on exchanges becomes more substantial, today you only need a few million USD to move the price significantly.

people can want big government all they want, governments rise and fall like the winter wheat, none last forever.
even the mighty roman empire collapsed, but hey, i'm sure its different this time...
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:25:15 PM

a system that disrupts 500 years of banking is not going to be perfect 5 years after its been invented

Nice quote and so true.

Why does everyone want to become millionaire over night  Roll Eyes

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:26:24 PM

with bitcoin for the first time in 550 years YOU are the bank, each and every one of us is actually a walking bank.

Not everyone dreams of being his own bank.  I, for instance, don't.  No more than I dream about being my own plumber, or butcher.

You are soon flying back after a two week business trip out the country. Whilst walking through the airport departure lounge your phone PA agent app offers to arrange a taxi to pick you up at the other end and drive you home. You tap yes and via your inbuilt hardware smart wallet credit card the agent instantly books a cab and pays with bitcoin credit card. You order a beer and pay with bitcoin credit card using the contactless payment system from your phone. Your phone offers to get the cleaner in to tidy up the house before you arrive home but you decide against it as the place wasn't too messy when you left. It is the end of the month and whilst you wait your phone bill and electricity bills appear on the screen. Bugger you think and tap pay as they are paid instantly with a few precious satoshis debited from your wallet "why am I seeing this?  These are paid automatically through my credit card!" ... etc., etc.

FTFY.  If you trust apps with your coin, trust them with your CC.  No need for Bitcoin Smiley

Credit Card.  Your tomorrow is here, today!

Edit:  And I'm not even going to get into you ordering a beer and waiting for confirms, missing your taxi in the process, and coming home to find others living in it.  It's been sold because I wrote your apps, which were open-source, but you didn't audit the code.  There is no CC company to make it all better--BTC transactions are irreversible, and you're your own bank.
Robert Paulson

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:32:39 PM

with bitcoin for the first time in 550 years YOU are the bank, each and every one of us is actually a walking bank.

Not everyone dreams of being his own bank.  I, for instance, don't.  No more than I dream about being my own plumber, or butcher.

if you're willing to delegate the safekeeping of the fruits of your hard labor to someone else don't be surprised when he runs off with it.
NotLambchop

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:37:30 PM

^I'm willing to do more than that.  I go under a surgeon's knife, without the urge to take it from him so I could do it myself.
And that guy could kill me Sad
Robert Paulson

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:41:54 PM

^I'm willing to do more than that.  I go under a surgeon's knife, without the urge to take it from him so I could do it myself.
And that guy could kill me Sad

the surgeon gains nothing from killing you.
your banker will happily run off with your money to pay his debts.
Robert Paulson

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:44:29 PM

but hey, it couldn't happen here right?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/12/us-eu-banks-savings-idUSBREA1B1ZI20140212
NotLambchop

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:51:27 PM

^My banker could steal my money.  
A cop could cap my ass as I leave the bank, empty-handed.  
A dog could run over, snack on my blownout brains, lap at the blood, get bored, lift his leg and piss on what used to be my face.

How paranoid are you?

Re. your link: My bank account is protected by FDIC.  I also don't keep more than the insured amount in my account--that's stupid.
Robert Paulson

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:56:29 PM

A dog could run over, snack on my blownout brains, lap at the blood, get bored, lift his leg and piss on what used to be my face.

How paranoid are you?

hopefully paranoid enough to avoid the same fate as these people had only a year ago.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanlewis/2013/05/03/the-cyprus-bank-bail-in-is-another-crony-bankster-scam/

exocytosis

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:56:39 PM

bitcoin allows you to become your own bank

Most people don't want to be their own bank. Most people prefer using simple, fast, reliable payment methods, like credit cards. Using such services, people have an insurance against theft and fraud.
NotLambchop

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:58:41 PM

How paranoid are you?

hopefully paranoid enough to avoid the same fate as these people had only a year ago.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanlewis/2013/05/03/the-cyprus-bank-bail-in-is-another-crony-bankster-scam/

My bank account is protected by FDIC.  I also don't keep more than the insured amount in my account--that's stupid.

Get on my level.
Robert Paulson

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:58:49 PM

bitcoin allows you to become your own bank

Most people don't want to be their own bank. Most people prefer using simple, fast, reliable payment methods, like credit cards. Using such services, people have an insurance against theft and fraud.

I'm afraid its a decision they are likely to regret (see my two links above)
Robert Paulson

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:00:43 PM

How paranoid are you?

My bank account is protected by FDIC.  I also don't keep more than the insured amount in my account--that's stupid.

Get on my level.

sure "protected" by the FDIC, until it stops being protected and confiscated to pay off America's huge debt either directly or through inflation.
NotLambchop

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:03:46 PM

^Bro, there are much simpler ways for your government to pwn you.  BTC or no BTC Cheesy
Oh, and that national debt?  We lied--we're never paying it back.  And you can't keep calling  to bug us about it.  Because Geneva Convention Cool
Robert Paulson

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:10:18 PM

^Bro, there are much simpler ways for your government to pwn you.  BTC or no BTC Cheesy

they are not going to "pwn" you if your wealth is in bitcoin.
unless you're a very rich high profile target they will just leave you alone and proceed to rob the rest of the sheep who hold their money in the banks and in government bonds.

the fact that the IMF explicitly tells you they are drafting a plan to confiscate people's money is why bitcoin is desperately needed.
if you prefer to ignore all the warning signs that's your choice and i wish you luck.
Robert Paulson

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:14:36 PM

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fm/2013/02/pdf/fm1302.pdf

here it is just so that you won't say im paranoid and making stuff up

“The sharp deterioration of the public finances in many countries has revived interest in a ‘capital levy’ – a one-off tax on private wealth – as an exceptional measure to restore debt sustainability. The appeal is that such a tax, if it is implemented before avoidance is possible and there is a belief that it will never be repeated, does not distort behavior (and may be seen by some as fair). … The conditions for success are strong, but also need to be weighed against the risks of the alternatives, which include repudiating public debt or inflating it away.”
Chuckee

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:14:45 PM

your bank can close your credit card and freeze your account and there's nothing you can do about that.
bitcoin allows you to become your own bank, you can even loan funds to other people without anyone being able to stop you, no credit card can do that.

There are very few bank users who worry about having their account frozen or their credit card's line of credit frozen, because most people aren't terrorists or drug dealers. So tell me again why exactly everyone is going to start using bitcoin? Why would I want to loan money to a friend? That sounds like a bad idea to begin with, but I suppose if I really wanted to, I'd just write him a check?

a system that disrupts 500 years of banking is not going to be perfect 5 years after its been invented, bitcoin's volatility will decline once the volume on exchanges becomes more substantial, today you only need a few million USD to move the price significantly.

you only need a few thousand to move the market, and that's because nobody is buying bitcoin for the reasons I've already explained. To become stable, there must be a huge volume of traders, which will never happen because bitcoin solves a problem that people don't have and will never have.

people can want big government all they want, governments rise and fall like the winter wheat, none last forever.
even the mighty roman empire collapsed, but hey, i'm sure its different this time...

Sure the US and Western European governments will fall somebody just like the Roman empire did, but probably not within our lifetimes. When that day comes, some people will take a hit and others will profit. When the new government inevitably arises, people will begin using the new currency. Bitcoin will not even be a footnote to that process.
NotLambchop

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:17:05 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2014, 02:01:47 PM by NotLambchop

^Bro, there are much simpler ways for your government to pwn you.  BTC or no BTC Cheesy

they are not going to "pwn" you if your wealth is in bitcoin.
unless you're a very rich high profile target they will just leave you alone and proceed to rob the rest of the sheep who hold their money in the banks and in government bonds.

Robert Paulson, don't be so disdainful of well-adjusted sheep.  They are herd animals, fairing awfully outside of the herd.  When they stray from the herd, as you seem to be suggesting you've done, they do not somehow become un-sheep.
They simply get eaten by wolves, or run over by drunk kids in pickups.
Sheep that resent being sheep are ill-adjusted sheep with high mortality rates.  Contrary to their belief, they aren't lions--they're simply unwell Sad

*typos
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: