Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:42:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OK, i confirmed the model of FPGA they are using in BFL single.  (Read 16638 times)
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 08:37:01 PM

I am pretty sure they are using different chips for the boxes.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
psahx

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 12:22:09 AM

What do you think will happen if there aren't enough EP3SL150 available for cheap to actually build the rig boxes people ordered?

What I really do think is, that BFL use new chips in their products, that they are improving their products and they are far more competitive than any other FPGA mining hardware developer today. It is just a speculation, that they use used chips in their products, just to rationalize a silly MH per $ of an own product.

The fact is, that guys from BFL are the only players on this field, who put some real money in their business and they start to dominate in mining hardware market. I am more than sure, that they will use improved chips in their newer products and they will offer something even better in the near future.

I have made this conclusion from reading almost 200 pages half off-topic threads about BFL...

Hopefully I managed to answer adequately to your question.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 12:40:28 AM

LOL about the post above Smiley

Anyway - the most important part about this thread for people WITH a BFL is the obvious:
Anyone got a bitstream that they can modify to run on the chip and we can then start making these things perform better?
(and of course the software to update the bitstream)

Since, of course, I'd be more than willing to update the BFL support in cgminer to support a better bitstream Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 11:30:19 AM

ngzhang, can you probe the device to see if anything at all has been loaded into the firmware? its still a possibility that there is a very good reason someone already has a "broken" bfl single, that is to say they may all be "broken," ie no firmware.
galambo

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 11:38:45 AM

Also, did the box have a return address label from Kansas City, Missouri?
ngzhang (OP)

Activity: 592
Merit: 501

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 12:45:40 PM

ngzhang, can you probe the device to see if anything at all has been loaded into the firmware? its still a possibility that there is a very good reason someone already has a "broken" bfl single, that is to say they may all be "broken," ie no firmware.

sorry, i just returned the box to the owner....  Sad
mem

Activity: 644

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 01:41:38 AM

...BFL singles have so long waiting times - BFL can't buy enough FPGA's.

Bingo! Mystery solved!!! Now BFL is not a SCAM, not a CON, just lack of production supplies.

How ridiculous can a human look, when he is so jealous, that he can not afford himself to accept a simple fact...

Well he is least guilty of shady business tactics.
If he played by the rules he would have come forward straight ahead with the real, not inflated specs, the fact that there will be a limited supply and what hardware he is gonna be using. I would have bought one if I knew what I get.
Instead he decided to claim he is using a custom chip and stated the product will have 120% the performance and 60% the power requirements it actually turned out to be.
Lots of people are feeling the same way.

He fucked up, he could have secured himself a cutting edge position in the market with a innovative idea. Now BFL will probably end up as a side note alas:
'First closed source mining implementation using discount pro-grade fpgas'

And BTW: This could very well still turn out to be a scam.
What do you think will happen if there aren't enough EP3SL150 available for cheap to actually build the rig boxes people ordered?

Still looks like a scam to me, lying about custom chips, lying about delivery, lying about availability, possibly using 2nd hand parts.
The BFL company is like a rotting sheep carcass in the sun, the more time goes by the more it stinks.

dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 02:05:52 AM

Still looks like a scam to me, lying about custom chips, lying about delivery, lying about availability, possibly using 2nd hand parts.
The BFL company is like a rotting sheep carcass in the sun, the more time goes by the more it stinks.

WE GET IT, YOU THINK IT'S A SCAM.

You really need to take a second, dust off that brain of yours and start using it before you post.  

Definition of scam:  a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, especially for making a quick profit; swindle.

They've been selling their unit for months now and are still shipping product every day.  This is the de facto antithesis of scam.  I'm not going to waste my time re-iterating the invalidity of your claims (aside from shipping since you're correct).  It's never not going to look like a scam to you, that much is obvious so quit trolling BFL threads with your useless rhetoric.  They use EOL chips, SURPRISE.  This isn't some brilliant new discovery for you to now harp on about.

I generally pride myself in being a tolerant person, but for once I'm going to have to swallow it (my pride).  Welcome to my ignore list.
n0ne

Activity: 2562
Merit: 548

8ombard - Pick, Play, Prosper!

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2012, 02:12:59 AM

Welcome to my ignore list.

+1

█████▄▄██
███▄█████
██▄███████▄
████████████████
███▀██████████▀
██▄████████████▄
░█████▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
████▀████████▀████
▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████▀███████▄████
███████▀▀▄▄▄█████
███████████████▀
████████████▀▀
OMBARD.com|.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████░██░████░██
▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
██████████████
▄▄░▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀▀▀
██░██░██████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
PICK,
PLAY,
PROSPER!

██████
██████████
██████████
██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████   ██
PROVABLY
FAIR
1%█████████████████   ██
HOUSE
EDGE
100%█████████████████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS
  Play now  
mem

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 02:19:41 AM

WE GET IT, YOU THINK IT'S _NOT_ A SCAM.

its unfortunate some people are fairly ignorant of scams, bitcoin users are frequently hit by them.

It simple, I sell <item>. I accept 1000 orders with only 100 items available. I sell 100 then laugh at the other 900.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 02:21:04 AM

STFU, both of you.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 02:25:48 AM

STFU, both of you.

Thanks, tips.
mem

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 02:35:44 AM

STFU, both of you.

mmffmmfffhhhhmmffppphhh

DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2012, 04:24:46 AM

Angry neighborhood bastard mod here.

All of you, knock it off.

triplehelix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 02:44:48 PM

scam is probably not the best definition.  if they are indeed lying about a custom chip, and if they are using previously in service parts, its at the very least misleading and unscrupulous.
galambo

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 02:52:45 AM

I think its very odd that whenever someone makes a negative post about BFL, a bunch of low post count users either attack, or bump the positive BFL posts in the forum.

Even stranger is that these posters typically have a very low ratio of useful posts to complete garbage if you review their history. Most of their posts are promoting the BFL "product" for lack of a better term.

BFL promotional posts types-

1) 'tech support' questions about supposed operational BFL units

2) claims of having received a BFL unit in the mail

3) making a post asking if the BFL is a scam, replying to the negative with another account

etc.

If only we could harness and direct this creativity to a more productive activity, like ngzhang has.
yjacket

Activity: 202

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 05:07:13 AM

I think its very odd that whenever someone makes a negative post about BFL, a bunch of low post count users either attack, or bump the positive BFL posts in the forum.

Even stranger is that these posters typically have a very low ratio of useful posts to complete garbage if you review their history. Most of their posts are promoting the BFL "product" for lack of a better term.

3) making a post asking if the BFL is a scam, replying to the negative with another account

etc.

If only we could harness and direct this creativity to a more productive activity, like ngzhang has.

Aren't you a low post person as well? You accused BFL of sending DOA devices based on 1 "broken" device that zhang managed to probe. My god you sound like paid trolls the way you attack the slightest weakness like it's a gaping wound. STFU and contribute. There have been 100+ working units without a peep of failure and you sit there accusing BFL of shipping broken units. I think that would have been a forum topic you stupid coont.

Feel free to keep checking BFL. As someone who has a 5k order out, i appreciate the scrutiny. Instead of doing that job, you're becoming the hannity/beck of the forum. STFU until you have something of value. Jeez, you're driving sane people away.
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2012, 05:21:32 AM

etc.

Aren't you a low post person as well? You accused BFL of sending DOA devices based on 1 "broken" device that zhang managed to probe. My god you sound like paid trolls the way you attack the slightest weakness like it's a gaping wound. STFU and contribute. There have been 100+ working units without a peep of failure and you sit there accusing BFL of shipping broken units. I think that would have been a forum topic you stupid coont.

Feel free to keep checking BFL. As someone who has a 5k order out, i appreciate the scrutiny. Instead of doing that job, you're becoming the hannity/beck of the forum. STFU until you have something of value. Jeez, you're driving sane people away.

His argument doesn't make sense anyhow. I'm a high count poster, a forum mod, author of DiabloMiner, owner of Diablo Mining Company, one of the first 100 Bitcoin users, and a very big advocate of Bitcoin usage, and I have made only positive posts about BFL. In fact, unless 28nm hardware comes out and its cheaper mh/$ than BFL MiniRigs, I want those to become the backbone of DMC (which, incidentally, would make me the biggest BFL user in the world).

yjacket

Activity: 202

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 05:28:00 AM

etc.

His argument doesn't make sense anyhow. I'm a high count poster, a forum mod, author of DiabloMiner, owner of Diablo Mining Company, one of the first 100 Bitcoin users, and a very big advocate of Bitcoin usage, and I have made only positive posts about BFL. In fact, unless 28nm hardware comes out and its cheaper mh/$ than BFL MiniRigs, I want those to become the backbone of DMC (which, incidentally, would make me the biggest BFL user in the world).

BFL shill, low count poster. No doubt BFL is behind this conspiracy.
galambo

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 11:45:18 AM

Good Luck.

Have you ever seen a BFL product in person?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: