Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:28:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: use LTC as the "karma points" in news portal (or blog)  (Read 1622 times)
EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 07:16:22 PM

Friends of mine have a news site that has existed for over 11 years. They use "Slashdot like" karma points system for comments and users.
Plan is to move this site to Drupal and start using LTC instead of just points. Now users can have LTC in the bank and not just good karma Smiley

Plan is this:
1) Generate a LTC address for every user, who has posted at least N comments in last X months.
2) Transfer Y coins (10-??) to every LTC address for free (users can add coin to this account number)
3) Every time you mod a comment or article, coins are transferred
4) Readers can tip writers the same way 

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 07:21:03 PM

great idea me thinks!
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 06:22:26 AM

I say yeah. Go for it!  Smiley
EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 07:13:59 PM

I am looking for a developer who knows wtf the LTC is and can also write clean and secure plugin for Drupal.
Final plugin will be open source and free for everyone else to use.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
frisco2

Activity: 312
Merit: 265

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 01:43:22 PM

I already have a built solution for this, http://propster.me. I can provide an api to automatically transfer coins (props). I already support LTC as well as BTC. The api will have two rest calls:  newuser and props. People can login directly with openid which you will have to be a provider auth. 

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 08:45:08 AM

It's a good idea, you could use it not just as karma points, but "likes" or "+1s" no?

more or less retired.
mugen

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 07:00:55 AM

original post here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88860.0

After some weeks of coding I would like to give it a try: http://speedy.sh/KRwDw/drupal.zip and one fix http://speedy.sh/4j7v7/cryptocoin.module.zip
I zip consists of 2 modules for drupal 7
 - cryptocoin connects to a running litecoind and creates addresses for users, takes care of transactions. It has no special functions it is only the control interface for the daemon!
 - li(k)ecoin provides a special field which can be attached to the content. You will see a new field. If you enter "<new>" likecoin will request a new address from the daemon. All litecoins send to this address are transfers to the account of user who wrote the article. Coin send to this address are counted as "likes".

I let you know it is a ALPHA, so not ready for the real site. Please test and give suggestions. I would recommend to disable withdraws at the moment.

In the admin screen you will see a new configuration menu named CryptoCoin. It should be self explaining. If you open your user profile in "Edit"-mode you will see you deposit address (if enabled) and you current balance.

Thats for now.

best
mugen
EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 12:09:01 PM

Thank you Muge. I'll run some tests with this but probably not sooner than next week.

tatsuchan

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 09:10:26 PM

I am looking for a developer who knows wtf the LTC is and can also write clean and secure plugin for Drupal.
Final plugin will be open source and free for everyone else to use.

I'd be giving you some karma...or, ummm litecoins for this post right now!
+1
frisco2

Activity: 312
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 04:31:53 AM

The Propster "Like" button, supports Litecoins.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15689.msg984526#msg984526

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.
EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 10:38:15 AM

The Propster "Like" button, supports Litecoins.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15689.msg984526#msg984526

This is really cool that people actually like this whole idea and Mugen actually wrote a working code.

One of the underlining ideas was also the independents from third party products. If you can run Drupal, you can run your own little wallet service.
Soon, if there are multiple sites, we can move this project to next phase. Build some type of user/tip/whatever sharing between . I am just spitballing here but thats how good ideas get started. Smiley

Mugen, I must admit, I have not managed to test it in dev server because they are working on data import problems.

mugen

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 02:31:18 PM

This is really cool that people actually like this whole idea and Mugen actually wrote a working code.

I cannot say if it is working. It works for me Wink Anyway...

One of the underlining ideas was also the independents from third party products. If you can run Drupal, you can run your own little wallet service.
Soon, if there are multiple sites, we can move this project to next phase. Build some type of user/tip/whatever sharing between . I am just spitballing here but thats how good ideas get started. Smiley

This is also what I think. The problem of Litecoin (and still to some extend Bitcoin) is, that it is not available for everybody, or lets say, not everybody can see a use in cryptocoins.
Therefore, I really like the idea of EskimoBob to bring them to drupal (and maybe later to other systems like Wordpress). My goal is to make the installation as simple as possible and, therefore, as a Drupal plugin and not some php-code and the user has to know how to hack code. And the Propster button is simply a different use-case. EskimoBob wants to use this as Karma. For this task we first need a bridge to the litecoind or later to a online wallet for those who cannot run a litecoind. Then we can build services on top. The likecoin button is the first and simplest to do. It is not much code and the concept is very clear, since most of us know about "like" and "+1".

I also have more in mind (list contains repetition):

- Like button, where the user has to pay to say "I like" (therfore the user gives his like not to everything and it can be done anonymously)
 - Karma points, to motivate users to participate (can also be used in boards, blogs etc.)
 - Anti-Karma: The user will not receive coins for posting, he has to pay. (maybe in connection with Karma, so that a user needs a certain level to start posting. This protects from spamming). Also interesting for something like "ask a expert". To receive a question from a real expert, send some coins.
 - In-payment for content: To see content the user has to send some coins. (for example interesting for designers: low resolution for free, high resolution costs some coins. Maybe similar to Anti-karma)
 - Drupal has also a real shop plugin. I think I have not to write more, what to do with cryptocoins there Smiley
 - use the blockchain to proof some content exists since a certain date

Please extend the list, if you have more in mind.

Mugen, I must admit, I have not managed to test it in dev server because they are working on data import problems.

No problem. I find more and more "hooks" to make the integration right into drupal. The current interface for the user is at the wrong place. I am working on it. But this is mainly design Tongue.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2012, 03:26:24 PM

Sounds kind of like youtipit, which is shutting down:
  http://blog.youtipit.org/?p=379

...we were somewhat naive with respect to the legal requirements that are involved in a service like ours. Delays and uncertanty in this area really held us back and stunted the projects early growth and momentum. Live an learn, I guess…

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
mugen

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 12:42:32 AM

Sounds kind of like youtipit, which is shutting down:
  http://blog.youtipit.org/?p=379

...we were somewhat naive with respect to the legal requirements that are involved in a service like ours. Delays and uncertanty in this area really held us back and stunted the projects early growth and momentum. Live an learn, I guess…

Thank you for this information. Yes it looks similar but I think the main difference is, that it is not a service. It is a plugin for drupal. So the legal requirements are up to the user and not to the service provider, since there is no service provider.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 02:53:40 AM
Last edit: June 30, 2012, 03:17:48 AM by bitcoin.me

Interesting. I am trying to get a site developed that uses a blockchain as a social network/forum/chan so it might be good to do with both btc and ltc.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: