Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 12:51:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] breadwallet, first bitcoin network client for iOS, first BIP32 SPV client  (Read 29480 times)
voisine (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 01:22:37 AM

Do you plan to make a version for android? I will use this wallet for sure on my S5. But I don't have a IPhone  Sad

We are working on an android version, but it will likely only work with new devices that support trusted execution environment with trusted UI. We will never release a product we think exposes users to the risk of malware theft.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 07:39:08 AM

Question about breadwallet: is it possible to share an address (either a single address or a HD sequence) with another, non-breadwallet wallet? In particular: a Mycelium wallet on android?

I would love to have breadwallet on iOS, and Mycelium on Android, and use the same address (or addresses, if it's possible with HD) on both devices.

I guess the easiest way would be to import the same private key in both wallets (that wouldn't be HD, but that's OK). I can import a single private key in Mycelium on Android, is this also possible with breadwallet?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
voisine (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 03:26:56 PM

Question about breadwallet: is it possible to share an address (either a single address or a HD sequence) with another, non-breadwallet wallet? In particular: a Mycelium wallet on android?

I would love to have breadwallet on iOS, and Mycelium on Android, and use the same address (or addresses, if it's possible with HD) on both devices.

I guess the easiest way would be to import the same private key in both wallets (that wouldn't be HD, but that's OK). I can import a single private key in Mycelium on Android, is this also possible with breadwallet?

Although your recovery phrase will work with any wallet that supports BIP39 and the default BIP32 wallet structure, you should never enter your recovery phrase into other wallets or devices. They are not built to the same security standards. It exposes your breadwallet balance to risk of malware theft.

We have an android version of breadwallet under development that will make use of the trusted execution environment/trusted user interface available on newer devices to achieve similar levels of security as on iOS. We will never release a product we believe exposes users funds to risk of malware theft.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 05:55:50 AM

Thanks Aaron, I appreciate your concern with security. Nonetheless I consider myself a Bitcoin expert (I made enough careless mistakes when I was still learning about all this Smiley) and I do trust Mycelium on Android. I will try and see if I can import the backup seed from one into the other. If I understood correctly, Mycelium is BIP32 and BIP39 compatible as well, so that seems promising.

By the way, great to hear you're bringing breadwallet to Android as well! (any chance of Windows Phone too? Wink)

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
voisine (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 09:13:15 AM

Just don't put more on the device than you expect to get stolen. Is your device patched against stage-fright and stage-fright 2, at a minimum? Not many are, including many of googles nexus devices.

"But it seems that you require a build number starting LMY48 to have any Stagefright fixes at all, with LMY48T or later also giving you fixes against the newer “Stagefright 2” holes. So the Nexus 5, which has fixes up to LMY48M, is probably a bit safer than my Nexus 7, but not as safe as, say, the Nexus 6, which is up to LMY48W."

Also to be compatible the wallet must support the default bip32 wallet layout. I'm not sure if mycelium does or not, it might use bip44 layout only.
Magnesium Coin

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 08:59:35 AM

May I know what is the difference between a "Brainwallet" and a "Breadwallet" ?

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 09:49:15 AM

May I know what is the difference between a "Brainwallet" and a "Breadwallet" ?
breadwallet is simply the name of the mobile wallet for iOS while a brainwallet refers to the concept of storing Bitcoins in one's own mind by memorization of a passphrase.

“The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks”
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 04:02:39 AM

Hey, so I've been using this wallet for a while, but I had a question... If I wanted to ensure faster confirmation times, and wanted to set a higher transaction fee myself, how can I do this? I was trying to find where you could in the app with no luck... any help will be greatly appreciated.

voisine (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 08:13:02 AM

Hey, so I've been using this wallet for a while, but I had a question... If I wanted to ensure faster confirmation times, and wanted to set a higher transaction fee myself, how can I do this? I was trying to find where you could in the app with no luck... any help will be greatly appreciated.

The wallet selects a fee based on the size-in-bytes of the tx designed to balance timely confirmations with low fees. Manually selecting fees is quite difficult and error prone and is something that well designed wallet software should handle for you. If Bitcoin is to compete with other payment methods like credit cards, it has to just work without requiring users to understand things like fee selection and confirmations.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 01:11:05 AM

Very pleasant update today on the App Store! Thank you Smiley
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 06:39:45 PM

Syncing is indeed faster!

Unfortunately, notifications are not working for me... not even badge numbers : /

And a feature request:
on main screen - you can tap on "breadwallet" text or "Lock" icon to display balance (after entering pin or touchID), however on transaction/settings screen only tapping on "Lock" icon works. Would be nice if "breadwallet" text would also be interactive on transaction/settings screen.
voisine (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 06:45:53 PM

Syncing is indeed faster!

Unfortunately, notifications are not working for me... not even badge numbers : /

And a feature request:
on main screen - you can tap on "breadwallet" text or "Lock" icon to display balance (after entering pin or touchID), however on transaction/settings screen only tapping on "Lock" icon works. Would be nice if "breadwallet" text would also be interactive on transaction/settings screen.

Since it connects directly to the Bitcoin network, it can only update the badge when the app does a background network fetch, which only happens every few hours. Make sure you haven't disabled background fetches in the main settings app, and don't kill the app after backgrounding. (Some people do this habitually)
MarketNeutral

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 04:32:34 PM

I've been trying to send BTC from breadwallet for over 2 days now. No luck. I'm running the latest version of iOS with the latest version of breadwallet.
The transaction is stuck as "unverified" although initially it was shown as verified. Huh
I've rescanned the blockchain more times than I can remember.
I've reinstalled the breadwallet using the backup pass phrase.
I reinstalled the same breadwallet on 2 other iOS devices.
I've tried different wifi connections. I've tried using data connection.
I've let the transaction time out, then redo it, but it still won't verify and confirm.
I've made numerous successful transactions in the past using this particular wallet. But they were all much smaller amounts.

What typically happens is that it says "seen by 0 of 3 peers" or "seen by 1 of 3 peers" but that's where it stalls. The transaction never confirms.
The amount of BTC I'm attempting to send is about $300 worth. Not a lot, but not insignificant.
The fee is about $0.05 worth, which should be fine.
Any idea why this transaction isn't confirming? I suspect it's a problem with breadwallet's connection to the bitcoin network.
Any tips on retrieving my bitcoin?
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 04:46:07 PM

Maybe the issue now is conflicting transactions on network nodes?

Yes. In extreme cases, use your breadwallet seed on MultiBit HD.
voisine (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 05:14:36 PM

I've been trying to send BTC from breadwallet for over 2 days now. No luck. I'm running the latest version of iOS with the latest version of breadwallet.
The transaction is stuck as "unverified" although initially it was shown as verified. Huh
I've let the transaction time out, then redo it, but it still won't verify and confirm.
I've made numerous successful transactions in the past using this particular wallet. But they were all much smaller amounts.

What typically happens is that it says "seen by 0 of 3 peers" or "seen by 1 of 3 peers" but that's where it stalls. The transaction never confirms.
The amount of BTC I'm attempting to send is about $300 worth. Not a lot, but not insignificant.
Any idea why this transaction isn't confirming? I suspect it's a problem with breadwallet's connection to the bitcoin network.

Really sorry you're having an issue. Please contact support@breadwallet.com and we will take care of you!
MarketNeutral

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 07:31:35 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'll be in touch right away.
MarketNeutral

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 07:37:43 PM
Last edit: December 24, 2015, 07:49:32 PM by MarketNeutral

Really sorry you're having an issue. Please contact support@breadwallet.com and we will take care of you!
Good point!
I neglected to mention that at one point I did indeed see a "double spend" error; however, that transaction was cancelled. Or at least supposedly cancelled.

I don't use breadwallet much, but it's nice to have on hand to show people how bitcoin can be integrated into the ubiquitous iOS environment.
I'm still a Bitcoin Core user at heart, and don't bother much with small amounts, so it's very interesting to see how other wallets, especially minimalist thin clients like breadwallet, may be used in day-to-day transactions.
Solid app that fills a much-needed role.
voisine (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:18:45 PM

Good point!
I neglected to mention that at one point I did indeed see a "double spend" error; however, that transaction was cancelled. Or at least supposedly cancelled.

I don't use breadwallet much, but it's nice to have on hand to show people how bitcoin can be integrated into the ubiquitous iOS environment.
I'm still a Bitcoin Core user at heart, and don't bother much with small amounts, so it's very interesting to see how other wallets, especially minimalist thin clients like breadwallet, may be used in day-to-day transactions.

This issue aside, you should never use desktop wallets to hold more than pocket change unless you have a strong security background and can keep your system hardened against malware.

Most users should only be holding keys on systems that are secure by default - systems that employ hardware encryption and are malware hardened with techniques like enforced code signatures and app sandboxing. This is why we chose iOS as the first platform for breadwallet. It's widely recognized as the most secure popular computing platform.
MarketNeutral

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:34:04 PM

Good point!

This issue aside, you should never use desktop wallets to hold more than pocket change unless you have a strong security background and can keep your system hardened against malware.

Most users should only be holding keys on systems that are secure by default - systems that employ hardware encryption and are malware hardened with techniques like enforced code signatures and app sandboxing. This is why we chose iOS as the first platform for breadwallet. It's widely recognized as the most secure popular computing platform.
Great point about large amounts on desktop machines and hardware encryption. Worth reminding everyone the crucial importance of bitcoin security.
Maybe I'll get a trezor for christmas.
Rest assured my big private keys are stored offline in a safe place.

And thank you for the ultra-fast response to my support ticket. Amazing.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 05:39:56 PM

Now I'm curious, as I haven't seen this behavior in many breadwallet installs I've seen, was this due to a bug in the code? A specific issue from a certain iOS device? What caused MarketNeutral's issues? Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: