Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:47:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bounty 20 BTC: Wi-Fi Hotspot, enabled by bitcoin  (Read 27459 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 07:05:47 PM

If you limit bandwidth there, this would lead to long downloads + frustrated clients who anyways have to wait ~2-3 blocks until they are allowed into the network in the first place!

Most captive portals allow the owner to permit certain ports at will, so whitelisting port 8333 would allow the user to connect to whatever bitcoin client he desired prior to payment, and then tentatively allow access with the receipt of a valid transaction.  If the transaction turns out bad (double spent, or whatever) during the next 20 minutes, cut the user off.
Bitcoin might be nice for real money transfer, but for small + quick payments (on the airport I want to check mails 5 minutes before the plane leaves, not wait half an hour until my payment is verified!) you would need either a centralized prepay-solution or something else.

Confirmations are not required for small value payments.  Take a look at the 'vending machine' threads.  Online e-wallets are one solution, but a double-spend is a tough thing to do, and not something a person is likely to attempt for small value gains.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shooter_mcgavin

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 07:07:14 PM

If you limit bandwidth there, this would lead to long downloads + frustrated clients who anyways have to wait ~2-3 blocks until they are allowed into the network in the first place!

Most captive portals allow the owner to permit certain ports at will, so whitelisting port 8333 would allow the user to connect to whatever bitcoin client he desired prior to payment, and then tentatively allow access with the receipt of a valid transaction.  If the transaction turns out bad (double spent, or whatever) during the next 20 minutes, cut the user off.
Bitcoin might be nice for real money transfer, but for small + quick payments (on the airport I want to check mails 5 minutes before the plane leaves, not wait half an hour until my payment is verified!) you would need either a centralized prepay-solution or something else.

Confirmations are not required for small value payments.  Take a look at the 'vending machine' threads.  Online e-wallets are one solution, but a double-spend is a tough thing to do, and not something a person is likely to attempt for small value gains.

Until someone can package the exploit and make it trivial to perform such a thing, giving them a skeleton key to all micro payment systems.

If you think I've been helpful, toss me a few bitcoin -  1J2bbukPKFrwEfk4iHueKfLfFBXLSNGnTi
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 07:11:10 PM

Until someone can package the exploit and make it trivial to perform such a thing, giving them a skeleton key to all micro payment systems.

Maybe, but then this either becomes a digital 'arms race' as the vendor's programmers come up with new ways of flagging frauds, or simply new ways to identify fraudsters.  If the vendors cannot keep ahead of the fraudsters one way or the other, vendors will simply default to requiring confirmations, and online wallets will truely become required for 'instant' transfers.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

bitanarchy

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 07:56:39 PM

It would be cool if wireless mesh networks would come to being financed by the users through bitcoin.
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6477.0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesh_network
Grami

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 04:30:32 PM

I would like have hotspot based on some popular WiFi router, like Linksys or Ubiquiti.
Person pay with BTC and get access to internet.

https://dev.openwrt.org/

This is most popular alt firmware. Somebody, pls, create a ticket for developers. My engilish is poor to do it.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 09:19:19 PM

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/11335

done.

World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 10:19:06 PM

this idea will be nice for large Wi-Fi operators,i hate to put my CC # in the airport

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Herbert

Activity: 488

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 02:44:30 PM

Closed without comment  Embarrassed
status changed from new to closed
resolution set to invalid

Seems we have to do it on our own then Smiley

www.bitcoinmonitor.net - Free payment notification via email, newsfeed, xpmm/jabber, url callback and full API access!
Send SMS with www.txt4coins.net! No registration, pay-per-use, full API access, bulk messages - All inclusive!
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 10:09:48 PM

Closed without comment  Embarrassed
status changed from new to closed
resolution set to invalid

Seems we have to do it on our own then Smiley

You cannot just throw some random buzzword laden idea in the tracker hoping the devs will jump on it and guess what you mean and how it should be implemented.
And they are right. Start a discussion on their forums, with details of how it would work and how it would be implemented. A bug tracker is for bugs, not features.
Also, bitcoin is a buzzword. Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 10:20:05 PM

I would like to add 10 BTC to the Bounty, providing someone can walk me through making it work without using linux.

I am EXTREMELY interested in seeing this happen...

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 10:40:13 PM

providing someone can walk me through making it work without using linux.

that's a practical impossibility.

Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2012, 11:53:45 PM

Windows RT router anyone? LOL

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 11:56:53 PM

Windows RT router anyone? LOL

good luck with that.

teflone

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 12:37:53 AM

Well, I guess no one is willing to sell me a preconfigured router then..   oh well...  Ill give someone else my bitcoins...   Roll Eyes

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 12:39:11 AM

Well, I guess no one is willing to sell me a preconfigured router then..   oh well...  Ill give someone else my bitcoins...   Roll Eyes

Preconfigured is a different requirement than doesn't require linux.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 12:44:46 AM

I think the biggest concern about being able to set up a mobile hotspot is the possibility of that mobile hotspot leaving/going down/shutting off/etc.  I mean, I'd be pissed if I paid for 60 minutes of access, and then 2 minutes later, the person running the mobile hotspot jumps on a plane and shuts off their device.

So, solve that problem please, then I'm onboard.  Wink
teflone

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 12:47:08 AM

I think the biggest concern about being able to set up a mobile hotspot is the possibility of that mobile hotspot leaving/going down/shutting off/etc.  I mean, I'd be pissed if I paid for 60 minutes of access, and then 2 minutes later, the person running the mobile hotspot jumps on a plane and shuts off their device.

So, solve that problem please, then I'm onboard.  Wink

Is that a real worry ?

In the last year I think my router has been off for a total of 3 minutes..  

I would hazard a guess a lot of people are like me.

And on top of that, why not pay in smaller amounts... ?  15 mins..  30 mins... big whoop, I dont think this would be very expensive for the end user paying for access

brendio

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 01:28:45 AM

Sounds a lot like FON (http://corp.fon.com/en/this-is-fon). Haven't looked at it for awhile, so I'm not sure what stage it's at or whether could be tweaked to accept bitcoin.

opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 02:25:56 AM

+1 btc if the software is free
+1 btc for Hotspot or Android firmware/app to profit from.
(while 1 btc < $10 USD)

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 04:50:31 AM

I think the biggest concern about being able to set up a mobile hotspot is the possibility of that mobile hotspot leaving/going down/shutting off/etc.  I mean, I'd be pissed if I paid for 60 minutes of access, and then 2 minutes later, the person running the mobile hotspot jumps on a plane and shuts off their device.

So, solve that problem please, then I'm onboard.  Wink

Is that a real worry ?

In the last year I think my router has been off for a total of 3 minutes..  

I would hazard a guess a lot of people are like me.

And on top of that, why not pay in smaller amounts... ?  15 mins..  30 mins... big whoop, I dont think this would be very expensive for the end user paying for access
Well, someone mentioned "mobile hotspots".  If I'm connecting to one, how do I know it's a router, and not someone's mobile hotspot?  Or wireless-sharing mobile phone?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: