Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:05:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bounty 20 BTC: Wi-Fi Hotspot, enabled by bitcoin  (Read 27459 times)
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 06:56:01 PM

watching

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
antares

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 07:42:42 PM

seems like there is some serious interest in this. I might consider looking through my old sources again.

However, you will not be able to do this without a second machine(on the internet or in your local establishment), since bitcoind eats way to much memory even for recent routers. it would be well possible though to have a bitcoind on some cheap vps that the router connects to via RPC to confirm transactions. As for the bitcoin payment itself, it isnt really hard to tunnel bitcoin without enabling malicious users to tunnel voluntary traffic over it.

If that would make anyone of the donors here happy, please respond.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 09:43:07 PM

You wouldn't need a full bitcoind, only to be able to do the bootstrapping of bitcoind, find a few valid nodes and send the transaction there. I guess in most cases 0 confirmations would be enough anyways... I don't know if an invalid transaction fails silently though or if the other nodes would complain if you got a fake transaction and relayed them there.

Also a possibility: Let the admin input a list of n adresses that are used for single transactions + a warning when the address pool is starting to run low. Check via blockexplorer or other services for transactions in the network or fulfilled payments.

The best and probably easiest solution would still be the LAN bitcoind I guess though. Please make it send it's traffic as fast as possible (so someone can get the whole block chain quickly if necessary).

+1 BTC from me if the solution: Works on Open WRT and DD WRT, is able to traffic shape the paying users (e.g. at least 50 kB/s per user, up to 500 kB/s for all users) and is Open Source, hosted on GitHub.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
antares

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 09:54:06 PM

You wouldn't need a full bitcoind, only to be able to do the bootstrapping of bitcoind, find a few valid nodes and send the transaction there. I guess in most cases 0 confirmations would be enough anyways... I don't know if an invalid transaction fails silently though or if the other nodes would complain if you got a fake transaction and relayed them there.

Also a possibility: Let the admin input a list of n adresses that are used for single transactions + a warning when the address pool is starting to run low. Check via blockexplorer or other services for transactions in the network or fulfilled payments.

The best and probably easiest solution would still be the LAN bitcoind I guess though. Please make it send it's traffic as fast as possible (so someone can get the whole block chain quickly if necessary).

+1 BTC from me if the solution: Works on Open WRT and DD WRT, is able to traffic shape the paying users (e.g. at least 50 kB/s per user, up to 500 kB/s for all users) and is Open Source, hosted on GitHub.

Hi, for sending you are right, in theory you dont need to allow a complete tunnelling of the bitcoin protocol. however, what I meant with running bitcoind on the hotspot device was that the owner needs to confirm the incoming transaction. As I also stated, this could be done with some other pc/vps that can be queried via RPC.

As for accepting 0/unconf transactions with this, as long as the tx is valid(it wont show up in the receivers client if it is invalid), I would consider the risk minimal - at least lower than the risk of people performing a chargeback(friendly fraud) when paying with their credit card or gaypal account.

However, long story short, I developed a similar solution about a year ago, on a D-Link DWL 622AP using openwrt. The DWL is a very small device with 2 megs of Flash, and 8 megs of RAM, so my solution should work on any openwrt device, since the 622AP is pretty much as low as it gets when speaking of system resources. I remember I solved the captive portal task back then by adding a firewall rule for new connected clients that redirected all traffic to the router itself, and remembered clients by mac and user/pass combo(having the mac enabled for as long as the wifi connection persists + 2 hours, after that asking for user and pass again). So what needs to be done is adding an little proxy that will connect bitcoind on the client machines to our payment gateway bitcoin, a teensy piece of code to verify incoming transactions, and nicer pages for the frontend(webdesign isnt really my thing). If need is there, an admin panel would need to be written too.

If there is still interest, and the bounties are still up, I might consider reopening this project for BTC.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 10:24:08 PM

Hi, for sending you are right, in theory you dont need to allow a complete tunnelling of the bitcoin protocol. however, what I meant with running bitcoind on the hotspot device was that the owner needs to confirm the incoming transaction. As I also stated, this could be done with some other pc/vps that can be queried via RPC.

Or just a port foraeding over a ssh tunnel.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
antares

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 12:19:00 AM

how did you get to ssh port tunnel? that is totally unrelated...
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 01:54:47 AM

It's a solution to the problem.  Rather than run a bitcoind on the hotspot hardware or use an api to do it with an overlay network, simply forward bitcoin ports from the hotspot hardware directly to a full bitcoind that you control.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 01:57:23 AM

It's a solution to the problem.  Rather than run a bitcoind on the hotspot hardware or use an api to do it with an overlay network, simply forward bitcoin ports from the hotspot hardware directly to a full bitcoind that you control.
Yup. SSH can be used for a cheap and secure VPN.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 02:01:05 AM

OP, bump bounty to 30 btc.. Im good for the extra 10.. 

Im actually good for a lot more than that..  but 30 is good for now...  Wink

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
kr105

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 03:27:33 AM

That bounty thing is encouraging, so today i started working to accomplish this. I'm working on the nodogsplash solution on top of openwrt, so when this is finished we will only need to install a simple package (it should be compatible with openwrt and ddwrt) Smiley

It is on a very early stage (yet), but it is capable of granting you access to the network using btc Smiley I will publish all the sources and stuff in the next few days, when i get this to a more mature state Cheesy
CA Coins
Donator

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 03:54:39 AM

Sounds like a cool idea.  is the bounty at 30 now?  I will chip in 5 to make it 35.
Herbert

Activity: 488

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 06:50:00 AM

I really like this idea.
Suggestion:
As long as the initial connection allows to connect to the bitcoin network (bitcoin ports are open) you could spare some effort by using the bitcoinmonitor.net solution. Setup like 100 addresses in the router that are given to users in a round-robin fashion. Register these addresses with an agent at bitcoinmonitor.net. Receive a http callback from the agent as soon as the coins are incoming. Allow full access to user.
This way the only thing you need on the router is the ability to accept incoming http payment confirmations and some simple logic to connect user sessions to bitcoin addresses - no need to relay transactions or similar stuff related to bitcoin protocol.

Problem i see is that at least in Germany you are legally getting into trouble if someone does illegal things from your wifi - so-called "Störerhaftung"...

www.bitcoinmonitor.net - Free payment notification via email, newsfeed, xpmm/jabber, url callback and full API access!
Send SMS with www.txt4coins.net! No registration, pay-per-use, full API access, bulk messages - All inclusive!
kangasbros

Activity: 812

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 08:04:32 AM

Problem i see is that at least in Germany you are legally getting into trouble if someone does illegal things from your wifi - so-called "Störerhaftung"...

Run everything through VPN. Include the feature in the router, that allows automatic VPN usage.

In Germany, VPN is required in every case, since otherqwise the media companies can send you bills for bittorrent downloads Cheesy

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 09:20:53 AM

to avoid running bitcoind, the wifi router could forward the transaction to an Electrum server, and get confirmations from it.
I am interested in this project and I can provide technical assistance towards such a solution.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
World

Activity: 743

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 04:23:11 PM

first email i get from Fon.com
It's not the first time we have been asked to adapt Bitcoin through our Fon community. The main problem we have found is that Bitcoin is still a small community and because the number of private hotspots at Fon is also minimal (very few out of the 5M we have) it doesn't make sense to have a new means of payment for so little gain. In addition the tributation is still very unclear on this digital currency. That doesn't mean that if one day bitcoin reaches the mass market we can adopt it.
second email i get from Fon.com
I'll forward this to my colleagues of Business Development and they'll see if adding bitcoin is worth it. They studied the case before and the answer was no, but I'll forward them the link https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7998.0;all

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:30:26 PM

to avoid running bitcoind, the wifi router could forward the transaction to an Electrum server, and get confirmations from it.
I am interested in this project and I can provide technical assistance towards such a solution.

This had crossed my mind also. It is an ideal application for a lite client, like ThomasV's Electrum. Maybe blockchain.info and the iOS app has some merit also.

Maybe a viable business model is to provide multiple bitcoind backends on remote servers, use stratum to communicate with the wifi routers lite clients and take care of install, billing, maintenance, etc for anybody wants to get paid for one-click install public access wifi sharing on their router? The business gets a small cut from many (maybe many many many) routers and the router/access owners get all the "s/ware bitcoin stuff" just done for them and a bitcoin check in the mail every month. Kind of like a wifi router sharing pool.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 10:30:25 PM

...or just do it via bit-pay.com. Wink

They charge 0.99% on pure bitcoin transactions though.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 12:38:56 AM

Somehow I missed this thread.  Previously on another thread I had posted:

Additionally, there could be a tie in with this to the Free Network Foundation's project, with the hotspot also acting as a node in their mesh network.  That will give privacy at the edge node, encrypted using FreedomTunnel (VPN).

- http://freenetworkfoundation.org
 - http://chili.freenetworkfoundation.org/projects

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:04:58 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2016, 05:31:36 AM by nimda

So the running total is 35 BTC, right?
+1 BTC if open source
There were some other +1's back there... we're at about a 200 USD bounty right now

Edit: I'm no longer offering this. Let me know if someone seriously attempts this and has escrow set up, though.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:39:09 AM
Last edit: June 06, 2012, 01:50:56 AM by Stephen Gornick

So the running total is 35 BTC, right?
+1 BTC if open source
There were some other +1's back there... we're at about a 200 USD bounty right now

I think the OP's offer (20 BTC) was more than a year ago, so maybe there needs to be a check to make sure the offer is still good.  The other (10 BTC + 5 BTC + 1 BTC (conditional) + 1 BTC (conditional)) are more recent.

Depending on what the deliverable is, I know there is interest in this that would raise the bounty a bit.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █