Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 03:51:57 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple now worth more than Litecoin. Litecoin sell off in 3..2..1..  (Read 2553 times)
identtitentti

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 10:50:03 AM

Is it true that if I buy XRP they can be taken from me without my consent? not by anyone but by the owners of Ripple

meaning that it is not decentralized and you don't really own any XRP.. you only share them with the owners and trust that they will not take them back?

No, that is not true. XRP is a crypto currency, and you need an account's secret crypto key to do anything with the XRP held by that account. The validator network validates the cryptographic signatures on transactions and only accepts those that are properly signed with the correct keys.

What about this?

https://wiki.ripple.com/Freeze

I wouldn't say you own XRP's if someone else can freeze them..

Good point but you didn't quite get it:

The individual account freeze feature is necessary to allow gateways to comply with regulations. The feature also allows gateways to hold funds when necessary. Finally, a gateway may permanently opt out the ability to use this feature.

If an account has currencies from multiple gateways, only the particular issuances from the freezing gateway are frozen. As XRP does not have an issuer, it cannot be frozen.

pizza77

Activity: 51

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 10:55:40 AM

Is it only ripple that has the freeze feature, or does stellar have it too?
newuser01

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 11:11:35 AM

Is it true that if I buy XRP they can be taken from me without my consent? not by anyone but by the owners of Ripple

meaning that it is not decentralized and you don't really own any XRP.. you only share them with the owners and trust that they will not take them back?

No, that is not true. XRP is a crypto currency, and you need an account's secret crypto key to do anything with the XRP held by that account. The validator network validates the cryptographic signatures on transactions and only accepts those that are properly signed with the correct keys.

What about this?

Good point but you didn't quite get it:

The individual account freeze feature is necessary to allow gateways to comply with regulations. The feature also allows gateways to hold funds when necessary. Finally, a gateway may permanently opt out the ability to use this feature.

If an account has currencies from multiple gateways, only the particular issuances from the freezing gateway are frozen. As XRP does not have an issuer, it cannot be frozen.

I missed that

but I still see Ripples/XRP as a centralized currency that is more in par with Fiat than cryptocurrencies..

Do you know the differences between Stellar and Ripples? to me, Stellar just looks like Ripples scam 2.0
identtitentti

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 11:13:57 AM

Is it only ripple that has the freeze feature, or does stellar have it too?

Any block chain network is not in control of any third party and all gateways remain third parties. So yes, a Stellar gateway can also freeze, get robbed, stop working, etc.
identtitentti

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 11:34:45 AM

but I still see Ripples/XRP as a centralized currency that is more in par with Fiat than cryptocurrencies..

I understand why you feel that way, but in itself, XRP is just a block chain ledger. The heart of the matter is, is the Ripple/Stellar proof-of-? system worth trusting?

As a fork of Ripple, the Stripe-backed digital currency Stellar, founded by Jed McCaleb, also encompasses these same ideals. The idea, as shown in the graphics above, is that for every node added to a network’s Universal Nodes List, the stronger the system becomes.

Yet there is a key weakness to this kind of structure – the source of incentive – and it is a fair question to ask. Unlike mining, what incentive exists for individuals or entities to host nodes?

Both Ripple and Stellar, along with Hyperledger, believe that there will be enough stakeholders to support PBFT-based transaction systems.
http://www.coindesk.com/stellar-ripple-hyperledger-rivals-bitcoin-proof-work/http://www.coindesk.com/stellar-ripple-hyperledger-rivals-bitcoin-proof-work/

Do you know the differences between Stellar and Ripples? to me, Stellar just looks like Ripples scam 2.0

There are significant differences. Development team of Stellar is a non-profit entity, and unlike Ripple, there is indeed very active effort to spread STR as widely and as quickly as possible to potential users. There will probably be also differences in the tech of attaching gateways to the network and I presume Stellar is aiming for easy and approachable in this respect. The main difference is thus philosophical: Stellar is investing in global community, Ripple is marketing a product to OECD banks(ters).

PS: one significant difference is the Stellar "inflation":

There is a fixed 1% rate of new coins added to the Stellar network each year. New coins will be distributed via a direct voting method similar to “participatory budgeting.”

Every account is able to vote for another account as its preferred inflation destination. Any account is a valid inflation destination. Every week the network adds up the coins in all accounts that voted for each inflation destination. This sum of coins is considered the total vote for each inflation destination. The top 50 of these accounts that also have over 1.5% of the coins voting for them will be the inflation recipients. If no account has over 1.5% of the vote then the network will just take the top 50 voted for as the inflation recipients. That week’s inflation pool will be distributed pro-rata to the inflation accounts based on what percent of the vote they received.

Since very few people will be able to successfully direct the inflation at themselves the hope is that they will direct the inflation at causes they support or it will enable novel business models.

In essence the inflation system seems to me a version of PoS
bitbets

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 01:49:37 PM

ripple started off too high priced to begin with,
when they only released just a few and propped the price up artificially.
The price was too high, so I didn't buy it, and still don't.

Also I never liked the name 'ripple'.

,╓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄╓                 
            ╓▄█████████████████▄╖           
         ╓▄█████▀▀'▒,,,,,╠'▀▀█████▄,         
       ,▓███▀╜,▄▄███████████▄▄,╙▀████╖       
      ▄███▀ ▄█████▀▀"``╙"▀▀█████▄ ▀███▄     
     ▓███╜╓████▀ ,▄▄█████▄▄, ▀████,╙███▌     
    ▓███`╔███▀ ╓▓███▀▀▀▀▀████╖ ▀███@"███▌   
   ]███▌┌███▌ ▐███         ███▄ ▐███ ▐███,   
   ▐███ ▐███ .███           ███  ███▌ ███▌   
   ▐███ ▐███ '███           ███  ███▌ ███▌   
   ]███@╙███@ ▀██▌        ,▄██▌ ▐███ ▐███`   
    ▓███ ▐███▄ ╙██▀╩     9███╜ ╔███▀,███▌   
     ████,╙███▌               ▓███╜,████     
      ▀███▄ ▀╜                 ▀▀ ▄███▌     
       ╙████▄,                 ╓▄████╜       
         ╙█████▄▄╓,       ,╓▄▄█████▀         
            ▀▀█████████████████▀▀           
                '▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀'

CloakCoin |  Trustless Anonymous Cryptocurrency |  PoSA3
Forum | Bitcointalk |  Twitter |  Facebook |  VK |  Reddit |  CloakTV |  Instagram |  IRC-Chat |  Faucet
atoni

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 02:13:35 PM

What about this?

Nobody can freeze XRPs, its for freezing IOUs.
bytezero

Activity: 414

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 02:37:36 AM

volume 24h

Litecoin   $ 2,456,470   
Ripple        $ 92,610

Litecoin will reign in good second place a good time
bibbit

Activity: 58

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:14:51 AM

What about this?

You did not read that page closely. XRP cannot be frozen, only IOUs from gateways that have not explicitly disclaimed the ability to freeze individual accounts.

XRP is always safe from freezing, but if you are worried about having your gateway issued assets frozen, you can also choose to only accept IOUs from gateways that have permanently and irrevocably renounced the ability to freeze individual holders of their IOUs.

Do you have a libertarian viewpoint?

Do you believe in choice and free markets?

Then you should have no problems in allowing gateways the ability to either choose to allow freezing of individual trust lines or to disclaim that ability so that they cannot do so.

This empowers the users to choose the gateways that serve their needs, and the added abilities allow gateways to serve the ripple ecosystem who would be unable to do so otherwise.

In either case, XRP cannot be frozen, only gateway assets and only if the user chooses to hold then. Several gateways have already permanently disclaimed the ability to freeze the assets that they issue. People have choice - The market will decide.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: