Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:36:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The transaction fee is just ridiculous.  (Read 17392 times)
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 04:13:39 PM

Transactions fees are voluntary and can be ignored if you choose.

Not if you use Armory

Blockchain's online wallet also forces such a fee.

I was refering to the bitcoin network.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 07:43:47 PM

Not if you use Armory

You can send without any fees on blockchain if you send manually instead of using the "quick send" tab
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 08:27:25 PM

Even if transaction fees were required, using Bitcoin isn't mandated by any law.  You're free not to use it if you don't like the fees.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
Coinshot

Activity: 521

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 09:01:15 PM

Not if you use Armory

You can send without any fees on blockchain if you send manually instead of using the "quick send" tab

Even with quick send the fee can be set beforehand.

The fee provided is good, otherwise transactions may remain stuck for hours or even days.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 04:48:10 AM

I believe that now it is time to scrap the tx fee. The miners are hardly getting any benefits out of the transaction fee and the opponents of Bitcoin are using it as a weapon to attack the Bitcoin community.

I am sure the spammers would love that.

They would.  And it won't happen anyway!  ;-)

And, has been stated, you can always use no fees depending on the age of coins etc.  Opponents of bitcoin only use it to attack bitcoin in front of people who don't know any better, so education regarding free transactions is key.

Sidechains are also going to be very important.

Yes, to a layman who has always heard of transaction fees in USD/percentage terms, Bitcoin's transaction fee structure can be quite abstruse.
Education  is the key.

alice chan

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 05:31:09 AM

Not if you use Armory

You can also create a custom TX, using a number of available tools to create a TX that does not include a TX fee and push it to the network
JLynn171

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 11:05:26 AM

you can always send it withh 0.0000000 tx fee and ust wait on it.. you are paying for the convienence and speed of blockchain and for the miners cost to send your tx its not really so bad...
eden1

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 01:40:06 PM

We are FORCED to pay a tax upon every transaction, and they say Bitcoin doesn't have any taxes? That's just pure crap. Taxation is unconstitutional theft via armed extortion. In Bitcoin's case, it's unavoidable, and is without the armed extortion (YOU ARE FORCED TO PAY).
u only need to pay tax if u want your transaction to be confirmed
 Tongue

teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 06:13:11 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2014, 11:44:00 PM by teukon

The transaction fee logic implemented by Armory matches that of the Bitcoin Core client itself.  If you were to include a fee lower than the fee there, the transaction will be DOA when you try to broadcast it.  The Bitcoin network would never see it.  Therefore, if you want your transaction to be accepted by the network you really must include that fee.

I heard that the minimum relay fee in Bitcoin Core was reduced to 0.000 01 BTC/kB = 1000 satoshi/kB quite some time ago.  One can see:
Code:
-mintxfee=<amt>        Fees smaller than this are considered zero fee (for transaction creation) (default: 0.0001)
-minrelaytxfee=<amt>   Fees smaller than this are considered zero fee (for relaying) (default: 0.00001)
under "Help, Command-line options" in bitcoin-qt.

I believe that the current minimum relay fee for Armory is still 10 000 satoshi/kB, as suggested by:
Code:
MIN_TX_FEE = 10000
MIN_RELAY_TX_FEE = 10000
(currently lines 128-129 of armoryengine/ArmoryUtils.py)
bluemountain

Activity: 197

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 11:00:35 PM

We are FORCED to pay a tax upon every transaction, and they say Bitcoin doesn't have any taxes? That's just pure crap. Taxation is unconstitutional theft via armed extortion. In Bitcoin's case, it's unavoidable, and is without the armed extortion (YOU ARE FORCED TO PAY).
u only need to pay tax if u want your transaction to be confirmed
 Tongue
This is not true. Many/most TX will get confirmed by the miners within a few hours (provided the TX is not unreasonably large in terms of kb) and many TX are confirmed in the next block if they are without a TX fee.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 12:03:51 AM

Not if you use Armory

If you want to attempt a free transaction then the imperative is on you to get a client which supports the functionality. Most of those wallets acknowledge that a majority of users aren't too worried about parting with 3c per transaction (or less depending on exchange rate and future implementations). You need to realise that without fees there will be no incentive for miners once block rewards finish and hence the network will die.
ScreamnShout

Activity: 206

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 07:28:20 AM

Not if you use Armory

If you want to attempt a free transaction then the imperative is on you to get a client which supports the functionality. Most of those wallets acknowledge that a majority of users aren't too worried about parting with 3c per transaction (or less depending on exchange rate and future implementations). You need to realise that without fees there will be no incentive for miners once block rewards finish and hence the network will die.
Most clients do support the ability to push a "free" TX to the network, although you will need to change some setting in order to use "free" TXs.

The wallet services will generally, by default include a TX fee because the TX fee will increase the changes that a TX will get confirmed by the network quickly
zerocool5878

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 07:43:36 AM

I changed my electrum from .0002 to .0001. I could probably lower it but I like the priority for my tx.
Borisz

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 08:53:27 AM

I also find this a problem.
Bitcoin-qt also makes you pay a tx fee (apart from armory as others said), which is not optional in many cases. Sure I can wait for my coins to "age" and then I might not have to pay. This however, means that I cannot use my money when I want to.

Paying some small tx is probably not a problem for early players who racked up tons of coins when it was worth 1 cent, but for those who are new (and the "most of the users will never own 1 BTC") it can be annoying, especially if they are only getting started with Bitcoin.
El Emperador

Activity: 658

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 09:40:28 AM

A question about transaction fees: after 2040 - when Bitcoin mining will end - are we going to pay the same fee?

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 10:30:01 AM

Paying some small tx is probably not a problem for early players who racked up tons of coins when it was worth 1 cent, but for those who are new (and the "most of the users will never own 1 BTC") it can be annoying, especially if they are only getting started with Bitcoin.

A fee of 0.0001 BTC costs less than $0.04, regardless of how much you paid for your BTC. Are you really complaining that a fee of $0.04 is too high?

I realize that there are a lot of people in the world that live in $2 a day, but unless you are one of them, complaining about a 0.0001 BTC fee is ridiculous.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 10:38:20 AM

A question about transaction fees: after 2040 - when Bitcoin mining will end - are we going to pay the same fee?

Mining will never stop, but the subsidy (currently at 25 BTC) will go to 0 around the year 2140. As long as the subsidy is high enough, the transaction fee is primarily used to prevent DOS attacks. Eventually, the fees will replace the subsidy and the minimum fee will become market-driven so it could go up or down.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
dontCAREhair

Activity: 119

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 01:26:00 AM

A fee of 0.0001 BTC costs less than $0.04, regardless of how much you paid for your BTC. Are you really complaining that a fee of $0.04 is too high?

I realize that there are a lot of people in the world that live in $2 a day, but unless you are one of them, complaining about a 0.0001 BTC fee is ridiculous.
The average TX fee of .0001 (or $0.04) is going to be less then the effective fee that you will need to pay to use a credit card (via credit card processing fees) and is generally going to be less then the cost for a merchant to keep cash safe, especially for larger transactions.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 02:59:19 AM

Some guy sent about 1,000 BTC and he included a 0.005 tx fee.

This is that transaction:
https://blockchain.info/tx/72bec59c7649d4527d8d7848ebc36840c89f5d36d18db9a91afd34d800826722

This is what it means:
Output $ 376,352.59
Fees $ 1.79

That kind of transaction fee for that kind of money sent is indeed ridiculous! He just sent over $376,352 over the internet to what may eventually end up being over a thousand different people, without opening an account anywhere or asking anybody’s permission. That transaction was completed and confirmed in about six minutes, and it cost about fifty cents in transaction fees at that time.

Ridiculous!

vm89

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 05:29:00 AM

Some guy sent about 1,000 BTC and he included a 0.005 tx fee.

This is that transaction:
https://blockchain.info/tx/72bec59c7649d4527d8d7848ebc36840c89f5d36d18db9a91afd34d800826722

This is what it means:
Output $ 376,352.59
Fees $ 1.79

That kind of transaction fee for that kind of money sent is indeed ridiculous! He just sent over $376,352 over the internet to what may eventually end up being over a thousand different people, without opening an account anywhere or asking anybody’s permission. That transaction was completed and confirmed in about six minutes, and it cost about fifty cents in transaction fees at that time.

Ridiculous!

I think bitcoin is a pretty fair system. If you transferred that amount by bank you would probably end up paying a ton of transaction fees.
That guy could have included a zero transaction fee, and the transaction is probably still gunna confirm within 10 blocks.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: