Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:04:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CRUSADE] Report "ad-sponsored rubbish posts"  (Read 1631 times)
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 11:28:14 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2014, 01:27:10 PM by CIYAM

Although I know the mods are trying their best to "weed out the ever increasing amount of crap posts" we are seeing due to "paid sig posting campaigns" I see more such campaigns being created and more and more rubbish posts being posted.

Please consider clicking the Report to Admin link on any "useless post" posted by someone with an "ad sig" (whether or not you know it is part of a "paid sig posting campaign" because if the post is "rubbish" then it is more than likely than not that is why it is there annoying you).

If enough of us do this then either it'll result in "a clean up of the forum" or a "banning of paid sig posting campaigns" (the latter being my preference but either result would be better than the current situation).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 12:08:48 PM

So just to let all those "ad sig posters" know that I am now reporting all the crap posts I am seeing (off-topic or just plain stupid posts as well as the more like "+1" posts).

I suggest others thinking of supporting my "campaign" should include the text "ad sig post" in the "report" (such as "obvious ad sig post" or "looks like an ad sig post").

I guess the mods might get pissed off at me for reporting so many posts (as I am going to do this for every single shitty post that affronts me) but really - if this forum would prefer to read "that crap" than anything I have to post then "I am okay with getting banned" (i.e this is a "declaration of war").

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:11:44 PM

Although I know the mods are trying their best to "weed out the ever increasing amount of crap posts" we are seeing due to "paid sig posting campaigns" I see more such campaigns being created and more and more rubbish posts being posted.

Please consider clicking the Report to Admin link on any "useless post" posted by someone with an "ad sig" (whether or not you know it is part of a "paid sig posting campaign" because if the post is "rubbish" then it is more than likely than not that is why it is there annoying you).

If enough of us do this then either it'll result in "a clean up of the forum" or a "banning of paid sig posting campaigns" (the latter being my preference but either result would be better than the current situation).

Anyone can have whatever  he want in his signature , I'm with you when you told the useless posts are increasing . But there are  users don't post  "rubbish"  Wink ; so finally I think "ban" the sig. campaign is pointless .
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 12:12:52 PM

Anyone can have whatever  he want in his signature , I'm with you when you told the useless posts are increasing . But there are  users don't post  "rubbish"  Wink ; so finally I think "ban" the sig. campaign is pointless .

As I stated - I would be happy enough if we just get the forum "cleaned up" so don't miss that point please (and people with "ad sigs should not really be replying" to this).

You are warned not to reply again unless you really have something relevant to add (or you will be reported - your above post was basically *crap* but I'll let that one slide).

ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:17:30 PM

I honestly think it's now time to ban signature campaigns from being advertised on the forum and ban threads openly buying/selling accounts on the forum.

The quality of the content posted on the forum has gone downhill so much and its directly attributed to these two activities,

I know there is no way to stop it and it's impossible to enforce a rule banning such activities as they will still happen off the forum in private, but at least it will mitigate it and increase the signal-to-noise ratio on the forum somewhat, because right now it seems the majority of posters do not even read the threads they are replying to.

I'd also recommend making the signature links nofollow to reduce the SEO juice signature campaigners get, which would also help. I don't see any reason why links posted in signatures should get SEO juice.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:21:08 PM

Anyone can have whatever  he want in his signature , I'm with you when you told the useless posts are increasing . But there are  users don't post  "rubbish"  Wink ; so finally I think "ban" the sig. campaign is pointless .

As I stated - I would be happy enough if we just get the forum "cleaned up" so don't miss that point please (and people with "ad sigs should not really be replying" to this).

You are warned not to reply again unless you really have something relevant to add (or you will be reported - your above post was basically *crap* but I'll let that one slide).

I don't violate any rules of the  forum ( whit my previous post and this actual) so if you want to report me , do it ( please ) . It is not necessary to be arrogant !

If you don't like the sig. campaign send a pm to @theymos  or @badbear .  Finally , why my previous post :

Anyone can have whatever  he want in his signature , I'm with you when you told the useless posts are increasing . But there are  users don't post  "rubbish"  Wink ; so finally I think "ban" the sig. campaign is pointless .

is crap ? I think is not crap , because I've told only my opinion  Roll Eyes .
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 12:24:19 PM

is crap ? I think is not crap , because I've told only my opinion  Roll Eyes .

Reported - as I said "this is a campaign" (that is not *sponsored at all*) and if you want to end up on the "wrong side of it" that is entirely up to you.

redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:27:12 PM

is crap ? I think is not crap , because I've told only my opinion  Roll Eyes .

Reported - as I said "this is a campaign" and if you want to end up on the "wrong side" that is entirely up to you.

This is the correct function of the report button :

so now if i have a "paid" signature I can't post , this is so ridiculous . //  Roll Eyes
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 12:28:57 PM

so now if i have a "paid" signature I can't post , this is so ridiculous . //  Roll Eyes

Stop posting crap please.

Post your "useful posts somewhere else please" - here you are obviously just trying to "defend your *right* to post crap" as you don't want to "lose your precious ad sig BTC".

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 12:49:45 PM

While I understand where you are coming from, I dont think your approach is in any way reasonable. To report any post regardless of content as "crap", "spam" or "has a paid signature" will not resolve the problem, but just create another one - report spam.

Whether or not paid signatures should be allowed has been discussed several times in the past. My opinion is: While paid signatures introduce spam they also help some people to get bitcoins at all. Those with paid signatures get banned more easily and there is less tolerance for spam and crapposts. So if you feel that a certain user is postpadding or spaming just to get paid, collect a reasonable amount of posts that attest the correctness of your feeelings and contact a moderator / admin. Sometimes a single post is not significant for the overal posting behaviour of a user.

And if you follow the payment structure of paid signatures and their development over time you will see that not only the mods and admins take action against the spam but also those offering BTC for posts. Less and less campaigns pay by post and those that do limit the number of posts. These limits have been lowered more and more to lower the incentive to spam. E.g. prime dice allowed some to earn up to 2.4 BTC a month in the recent past. Dicebitco.in has (or had, not sure if they keep the campaign at all) very strict rules regarding spam and banned several users from the campaign durring the first period.

The quality of posts is not directly related to the signature, but depends on the person writing the post. I see users here that write utter crap or mainly copy pasta what someone else wrote without a paid signature. In my opinion their posts are nothing more than just spam, yet the sometimes spark discussions. Opinions on this are different and in the end the staff has to decide what level is tolerable.

Yes, please report spam and useless posts, but report posts and not signatures.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:54:37 PM

Indeed:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=20333.0

The policy to not remove anything worked when the forum was small. Now that we have thousands of posts a day, we can't afford 50% of them being junk. The moderators are now instructed to be less tolerant of low-value posts.

Some guidelines:

1. Free speech - you can say anything as long as it is relevant and presented in a calm and polite manner. Swearing, SHOUTING etc. make your post more likely to be removed.
2. No zero value posts or threads, like "SELL SELL SELL"
3. No pointless or uninteresting threads.
4. No referral code spam

5. No NSFW content
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:56:44 PM

Indeed:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=20333.0

The policy to not remove anything worked when the forum was small. Now that we have thousands of posts a day, we can't afford 50% of them being junk. The moderators are now instructed to be less tolerant of low-value posts.

Some guidelines:

1. Free speech - you can say anything as long as it is relevant and presented in a calm and polite manner. Swearing, SHOUTING etc. make your post more likely to be removed.
4. No referral code spam

5. No NSFW content

Indeed @CIYAM reported my previous post  ( but I think  that I don't violate any rules Wink ).

Some guidelines:

4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 01:14:46 PM

I am not reporting *any post* made by "ad sig posters" - only ones that "have no value".

Let's be very clear about what my "campaign is about please".

In particular "pointless or uninteresting posts" is what I am against (it is just annoying to have to "wade through crap posts to find anything of interest").

galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 07:21:35 PM

I am not reporting *any post* made by "ad sig posters" - only ones that "have no value".

Let's be very clear about what my "campaign is about please".

In particular "pointless or uninteresting posts" is what I am against (it is just annoying to have to "wade through crap posts to find anything of interest").

Despite having a signature ad (sorry if that gives offense given the title of this thread) I am very sympathetic to your point.  I have one point and a couple of suggestions. 

First, this is the internet and posts one views as stupid, ill informed or useless are just gonna happen.  After all, trolls are gonna troll and technically even that isn't against the guidelines as quoted by people.  One person's useless post is another's marginally interesting insight.

One suggestion, rather than flooding the mods with reports that may or may not get acted upon, why not contact the sponsors of the programs with users you find are really abusive?  After all, they have a direct financial incentive to not pay for crap posts and have their operation associated with crappy members of the bitcointalk community.  I realize this is more work for you, but it's probably not much more work than reporting posts.

Second suggestion may be to do what I heard many people do during the height of the primedice sig campaign spam and just routinely ignore anyone that had a paid signature.  In the event that they ever posted something interesting it would probably get quoted and then you could consider unignoring them.  This has the benefit of being even easier than reporting people but doesn't end the bad behavior you are trying to prevent.

Good Luck!
Vortex20000

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

sucker got hacked and screwed --Toad

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 11:30:41 PM

Luckily for you, then, there has been an influx of new campaigns that pay per term and don't depend on post count. Satisfactory?

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 03:04:50 AM

Luckily for you, then, there has been an influx of new campaigns that pay per term and don't depend on post count. Satisfactory?

I'd be curious to know "what criteria they use to choose who they will pay to have their ad sig?" but yes hopefully that might improve things.

Vortex20000

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

sucker got hacked and screwed --Toad

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 04:24:20 AM

I'd be curious to know "what criteria they use to choose who they will pay to have their ad sig?" but yes hopefully that might improve things.

Hopefully.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 07:54:39 PM

I tried, but the only reward for reporting is to see accuracy slowly drift lower point by point.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 11:34:15 PM

Every topic you start should be self-moderated. Then delete the fuck out of shitposts, especially those with paid sigs.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 03:15:52 AM

I tried, but the only reward for reporting is to see accuracy slowly drift lower point by point.

Sadly I have noticed the same as well - I guess most of the mods here "are in support of rubbish posts".  Sad

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: