Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:05:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CRUSADE] Report "ad-sponsored rubbish posts"  (Read 1631 times)
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 04:31:49 AM

CIYAM, what you're suggesting people to do is counterproductive. If you flood mods with spam reports, that ties up all their time to do other things, and you dilute their effectiveness as a mod if they were look at every one of the reports. If you're going to report for spam, then report the users that are consistently spamming useless posts rather than the single post itself.

I have dozens of people on my ignore list, and the first filter I use is people with paid ad sigs.

BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 09:19:59 AM

The problem is that the mods aren't having any great effect on "stopping the crap posts" so basically this is "a protest" at the poor quality of posts on this forum due to ad sigs but I don't think anyone is "joining in" so I doubt that my occasional "report" is hardly going to have any effect one way or the other. Sad

I refuse to "waste my time" on maintaining an ever growing Ignore list (which also quite likely increases the server work for processing each request) so instead I am just now ignoring more and more of the forum Boards - I'll probably end up with just one or two Boards that I bother with eventually.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 09:28:32 AM

I am just now ignoring more and more of the forum Boards - I'll probably end up with just one or two Boards that I bother with eventually.

If this helps, I'm ignoring 150 boards and read only 27 Wink.
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:14:45 PM

Although I know the mods are trying their best to "weed out the ever increasing amount of crap posts" we are seeing due to "paid sig posting campaigns" I see more such campaigns being created and more and more rubbish posts being posted.

Please consider clicking the Report to Admin link on any "useless post" posted by someone with an "ad sig" (whether or not you know it is part of a "paid sig posting campaign" because if the post is "rubbish" then it is more than likely than not that is why it is there annoying you).

If enough of us do this then either it'll result in "a clean up of the forum" or a "banning of paid sig posting campaigns" (the latter being my preference but either result would be better than the current situation).

Before I forget, title should be Crusade**.

mods/admins/staff should be the people leading the charge on this honestly. There is a reason they made it so anyone can post anywhere, there is no newbie restriction to only post in beginners anymore, they did that on purpose. What reason would make them do that? I can only speculate that it is to get more posts into other subs and spread it out better, less people in beginners section = profit??? Or something? It technically would boost Google rankings to the other subs and lower it for the beginners sub I suppose.

Anyways, you are a developer for things it looks like and you also have been here a long time which is cool. I don't think this is a good use of your time to be honest. I believe pursuing this any further than the posts already made about this topic is a pure time waste. Granted it might only be  15 minutes and such, but there is a reason everything is how it is and we do agree with you on the shit posts. But the more posts = the more profit, which I am not saying is the most important thing, but there is definitely a balance of shit posts and good posts on a forum website.

My ultimate experience is that no matter how high ranked you are on a forum it doesn't matter. I got banned on RSbuddy and was one of the most vocal about their changes(without really ever swearing or anything). Robotzindisguise is really the only forum besides this that was any good but not too many posters. I had a ton of views on my posts on the Guild Wars 2 forum. I had detailed analysis of DPS for condition damage vs direct damage and all these types of things that proved direct dmg was 3 or 4 times more DPS than condition damage and all this stuff. That thread had like 27,000 views in a short amount of time and tons of vocal support and they still didn't fix the game to balance it out better(it has been like a year). Direct damage always wins and you get punished for playing a build that deals condition damage(damage over time). I had other posts detailing how much DPS minions do, how the minion AI is broken(obviously broken as they would most of the time not attack enemies and sit there and do nothing). Tons of things like that. Do you know what it got me? Absolutely nothing. No changes were implemented to fix these things and it is because it was considered not worth their time to fix things that shouldn't have been broken.

TL:DR
My whole point is you may be right, but if the right people don't listen it won't matter.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 01:33:08 PM

Before I forget, title should be Crusade**.

Oops - fixed.

And as I think that this "crusade" seems to have an army of one I am officially "calling it off" (to spend more time doing useful things like "coding").

Smiley

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: