Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:50:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Toll road! A boon to modern transport!  (Read 4530 times)
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 06:06:52 PM

How about just being able to pay for the EZ Pass using Bitcoin in advance in any case?

Presumably zero confirms or some very late braking. Smiley

At such a low expense and due to the nature of the service being paid for you would have to expect zero confirmations.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ruthful

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 06:20:47 PM

How about just being able to pay for the EZ Pass using Bitcoin in advance in any case?

You can already do that with the current system using fiat.It ranges from topping off at the ATM to  doing it online or even by SMS.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 06:43:41 PM

You can already do that with the current system using fiat.It ranges from topping off at the ATM to  doing it online or even by SMS.

Sure, but I mean if people want to spend Bitcoin they should be able to have the option do it in advance and not have to fret about sending coin while in motion, which seems impractical. It would have to be automated in practice.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 07:46:29 PM

Hereabouts, we all just drive at 75 mph past the toll point. Cameras take a pic of the driver and the license plate, the computing back end gets your address from registration records, and you are mailed a bill. No special equipment required.

Yeah, the privacy issues bug me too. C'est la guerre.

A couple years back, some organization that specializes in processing payments to governments (utilities, court costs, licensure, parking, etc.) was accepting bitcoin. I wonder if they still do, and if so, whether we here can pay our tolls that way. Thanks for prompting the question in my mind.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Daengineer

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 08:52:58 PM

As far as having a system to pay the bitcoin out they already use systems like this. The car doesnt have to have WiFi the toll stations just need it when it passes the check point it reads your member id then charges your account with the information you signed up with
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 09:10:57 PM

Somehow I do not think this will be Bitcoin's killer app  Cheesy
blumangroup

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 04:36:26 PM

Sure, but I mean if people want to spend Bitcoin they should be able to have the option do it in advance and not have to fret about sending coin while in motion, which seems impractical. It would have to be automated in practice.
It is not possible to send payment in an automated fashion unless you give up some control over the private keys of the address you are using to send the money.

I like the idea of using bitcoin to "refill" the balance on an easypass and continue to use an easypass in the same way that commuters do today

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
martinnew

Activity: 153

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 04:29:01 PM

Accepting BTC to buy easypass  will be a good thing already. As well as buying transport tickets and other fees.
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 07:25:54 PM

this has been in japan for years... (without bitcoin)

You drive through and the car speaks telling you how much you just paid.

What, that's insane. Now that with bitcoin, is practically OP's dream come true.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
Window2Wall

Activity: 191

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:32:50 AM

It is not possible to send payment in an automated fashion unless you give up some control over the private keys of the address you are using to send the money.

I like the idea of using bitcoin to "refill" the balance on an easypass and continue to use an easypass in the same way that commuters do today
I agree. If you wanted to give up control of your private keys then you might as well prepay your easy pass with bitcoin (or fiat) and use that system as it works today.

On 495 near DC there are HOT (high occupancy toll) lanes that utilize the easy pass system that allow people to get on and off HOT lanes at high rates of speed and their account will be automatically debited the appropriate toll
cuddaloreappu (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:48:06 AM

ok there are lot of people here who argue that there is already a payment system like easypass and many others in various countries which give all these convenience and hence doing th same with bitcoin is not necessary..

but a fundamental realization is that how much easy pass and similar charge you for using those services? and compare it with the charges when the same is used of bitcoin?

without doubt they would fail and bitcoin based tech would win?
BTCmoons

Activity: 173

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:23:43 PM

ok there are lot of people here who argue that there is already a payment system like easypass and many others in various countries which give all these convenience and hence doing th same with bitcoin is not necessary..

but a fundamental realization is that how much easy pass and similar charge you for using those services? and compare it with the charges when the same is used of bitcoin?

I believe that easy pass is actually free to use. I would argue that we may well see a similar version of easy pass but is prepaid with bitcoin rather then with your bank account/your credit card.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:57:31 PM

I believe that easy pass is actually free to use.

EZ Pass isn't free. It is factored into the cost of sales for whomever operates the toll road.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
mnmShadyBTC

Activity: 151

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 08:20:38 PM

I believe that easy pass is actually free to use.

EZ Pass isn't free. It is factored into the cost of sales for whomever operates the toll road.
I would think that any system that uses bitcoin on a toll road would not be free either. Paying the toll would be very cheap however the operator of the toll road would need to invest in some technology to track which cars have paid

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience - PRIMEDICE 3 HAS LAUNCHED @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Ruthful

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:24:41 PM

Considering such bitcoin based system still doesn't exist ,I would love to see the cost comparison.Somehow I doubt the bitcoin system would be cost competitive enough  (considering using bitcoin itself isn't cheaper than fiat) at the moment.

Some1else0

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:36:43 PM

It would be really cool. You wouldn't have to worry about getting an Ezpass and loading that up as long as you have some Bitcoins in your wallet Smiley.
Ruthful

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:58:10 PM

It would be really cool. You wouldn't have to worry about getting an Ezpass and loading that up as long as you have some Bitcoins in your wallet Smiley.

Yeah, you only need  to wait 10 minutes at the booth for the transaction to confirm Grin Grin

doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 11:16:43 PM

Pay toll via Car RFID tag.  Pay off CC with cointree.com.au or living room of sathoshi.  Done.
Get.BTC.Now

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

★☆★ dont let others hurt your sk

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 01:21:11 PM

Yeah, you only need  to wait 10 minutes at the booth for the transaction to confirm Grin Grin

Cool pretty fast transaction!
FUR11

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 01:56:37 PM

I guess funding a centralized payment system first wouldn't be any worse in this case. I guess it's not that easy to implement a system like the one you're suggesting. I don't see why we would want to use Bitcoin in this case?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: