Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:49:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Human vs human chess matches. BTC wagers. Looking for beta testers.  (Read 6306 times)
drknow012 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Fairy Tale + Fact = Unregulated Virtual Currency!

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 03:05:54 PM

two more wagers have been placed on the list at .78 btc

i will sponsor someone up to .2 btc to accept his challenge. sign up and post your user name on this thread to receive sponsorship.

BTCChess Affiliate Program: Earn 50% on all commissions from referrals at btcchess.tk

Just sign up, post your affiliate link in your sig, and take part in the community's discussions! It's that easy!

Donations and Investors: 1F6yYdQ7rWVaH9Nqv7gbBw5FbZUuhL9smh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MasonIII

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 07:38:00 PM

I"ll take up one of them Smiley (at a time at least)
drknow012 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 07:40:25 PM

I"ll take up one of them Smiley (at a time at least)

sure thing, but my limit is 2 for sponsorships, after this you gotta play on your own Tongue

your account has been credited

BTCChess Affiliate Program: Earn 50% on all commissions from referrals at btcchess.tk

Just sign up, post your affiliate link in your sig, and take part in the community's discussions! It's that easy!

dustintrammell
VIP

Activity: 156
Merit: 103

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2012, 12:45:54 PM

How are you preventing people from using bots while playing?

if i told you how, then all the botters would know how to work around my method silly!

Unfortunately I fear that your site is doomed to failure.  There is no technical mechanism available to prevent someone from running a grand master chess program and entering their opponent's moves into the program and then playing the same moves as the program does in the game.  This method of cheating is out-of-band, and is the same reason that I don't play scrabble with people online; you can cheat in exactly the same manner using scrabble solvers.

All you'll end up with is a bunch of players pitting chess programs against each other.

Dustin D. Trammell
Twitter: @druidian
PGP: E0DC F55C 9386 1691 A67F FB18 F6D9 5E52 FDA6 6E16
mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 01:13:13 PM

How are you preventing people from using bots while playing?

if i told you how, then all the botters would know how to work around my method silly!

Unfortunately I fear that your site is doomed to failure.  There is no technical mechanism available to prevent someone from running a grand master chess program and entering their opponent's moves into the program and then playing the same moves as the program does in the game.  This method of cheating is out-of-band, and is the same reason that I don't play scrabble with people online; you can cheat in exactly the same manner using scrabble solvers.

All you'll end up with is a bunch of players pitting chess programs against each other.

reminds me of cheating in online chess tournaments:
start chess prog, set your color to the one your opponents color and let the computer predict the moves for you.

Yep, doomed. I sincerely hope it works out but human nature and all that.

drknow012 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2012, 03:43:14 PM

maybe it's not a complete loss. what if two players are doing the same thing. odds are still even...

mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 03:49:24 PM

maybe it's not a complete loss. what if two players are doing the same thing. odds are still even...

retitle it to human controlled robot chess and I think you have a winner on your hands.

drknow012 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2012, 05:03:03 PM

retitle it to human controlled robot chess and I think you have a winner on your hands.

meh, i'lll let the players figure that out for themselves. there are loop holes, as with any gaming site.

also, i am considering designing other gaming sites, as i've discussed in another thread. it's another gaming site for server based q3 engine based games, such as soldier of fortune and counter strike... players could play games like ctf and tdm, and the website would gather server statistics to determine the winning team and player id's and accounts. all players would have to enter into the tournaments same as with chess... i would need to purchase the servers though. if anyone wants to consider becoming a partner in this project, i encourage you to contact me. but please post all discussion on this idea on another thread. this is an [ANNOUNCE] thread for human vs human chess.

reference: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79730.0

Andrew Bitcoiner

Activity: 396
Merit: 250

Send correspondance to GPG key A372E7C6

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2012, 05:09:53 PM

I like the background image on http://fantasypublishings.com/ but the board is clearly faked, if black moved his queen to b5 he just lost it to the bishop who will put black in check.  They meant to put the queen on c5 which would pretty much be the d00m of white.

MAKE MONEY! ADVERTISE FOR BITCOINS http://www.bitcoinadvertising.com
Bitcoin News Site http://coinbits.com
Bitcoin Blackjack http://bitjack21.com
Bitcoin, Darknet, IT consulting http://cryptophene.com
drknow012 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2012, 05:12:45 PM

I like the background image on http://fantasypublishings.com/ but the board is clearly faked, if black moved his queen to b5 he just lost it to the bishop who will put black in check.  They meant to put the queen on c5 which would pretty much be the d00m of white.

i'm not sure i completely understand you. are you saying there's something wrong with the functionality of the site? or are you just talking about strategy? as far as my understanding of chess goes, queen get's her color... but i don't think that's what you're talking about... Undecided

drknow012 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2012, 05:15:39 PM

The background image, look at the pieces it's FUBAR  Smiley

lol, ya, he's definitely struggling. Cheesy

drknow012 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2012, 06:30:01 PM

if anybody is interested in a sponsorship, sign up at fantasypublishings.com (soon to be btcchess.com). i'm willing to sponsor anybody willing to put a game up on the site up to .1 bitcoins. just post your username in this thread an you will receive .1 btc for submitting a game.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 04:51:00 AM

I thought the same, but white could have advanced their king side bishop prior to the queen move by black.  Then white counters the queen move by bringing the bishop back home.  If it's now black's move, there's still a decent number of options open.
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2012, 07:11:00 AM

I just stumbled on this thread. Very interesting. My first thought was: what about cheating?
It would be cool to have chess games done online with measure in place to prevent cheating. I don't know of any fool proof method but there could be some things that you could do. Maybe.

-set up multiple chess engines running that play out the games with what they would do under different default settings. If a user keeps matching the engines they become flagged

The more I think of it though, the only way to prevent MOST simple cheating would be to have some type of game where two players play while a web cam records what they do. Each player sets a web cam from behind so each user can see the other person sitting at a desk from behind looking at the computer and see what is displayed on the computer. It wouldn't prevent cheating for high stakes games but it would work for most who just want to play real people for fun for a little bit of BTC. You could tell if they were looking at a different computer or having someone coach what to do from another computer. Plus they can chat while they play...

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
drknow012 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2012, 02:22:22 PM

all very good ideas. i could implement a "webcam required" option when a player posts a game. but people can still fake it, so i'm not too sure about it. i like the engine matching idea though. here's a thought, what if i were to change the rules of the game, just a little bit. it would allow players to simply adapt to the new rules and continue to compete. Chess bots would be completely useless if knights move 3 and 1 instead of 2 and 1... just a thought.

Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 02:29:32 PM

all very good ideas. i could implement a "webcam required" option when a player posts a game. but people can still fake it, so i'm not too sure about it. i like the engine matching idea though. here's a thought, what if i were to change the rules of the game, just a little bit. it would allow players to simply adapt to the new rules and continue to compete. Chess bots would be completely useless if knights move 3 and 1 instead of 2 and 1... just a thought.

Changing the rules is always fun. Go for it.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
drknow012 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2012, 02:33:21 PM

Changing the rules is always fun. Go for it.

hey garr, how are your games going?

drknow012 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2012, 11:01:12 PM

i think i have a solution to the cheating issue. i could switch the knight's position with the bishops position at the start of the game. any master chess program would be completely useless as official chess board setup's require the knight to be positioned next to the castle. with my variation, the bishop would be next to the castle. i could implement it right away, but i would have to but the site on hold. can i get some feedback on this please?

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 11:07:13 PM

i think i have a solution to the cheating issue. i could switch the knight's position with the bishops position at the start of the game. any master chess program would be completely useless as official chess board setup's require the knight to be positioned next to the castle. with my variation, the bishop would be next to the castle. i could implement it right away, but i would have to but the site on hold. can i get some feedback on this please?
I don't think it would work.  Lots of chess programs can let you set up "custom" board positions to experiment with moves and such.  Someone could just set up a "custom" board position that includes a swap of the knight and bishop.

Also, I don't think a custom solution for changing how a piece moves would work either.  Lots of smart guys here... and the incentive to cheat, with wagers being placed on the games, is high.  Someone would just program a bot to calculate the best move using the new custom rules you create.  Or, some chess bots might already be modifiable in that aspect.
drknow012 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2012, 11:38:35 PM

do you have any constructive solutions?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: