Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:34:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ive Never Met a Poor or Non-White Libertarian  (Read 3338 times)
cdog (OP)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:23:03 PM

And this has caused me to rethink my views. Im such a believer in personal freedom, but I dont really see how the endgame for freetrade can be anything other than disaster.

There is a selfishness to Libertarianism which is unappealing to me. It isnt explicit, and it isnt necessary by default, but human nature is by default selfish.

When you extrapolate this selfishness out a thousandfold into the future, the disparity between the haves and have nots becomes cataclysmic to civil society.

The only way I can see a libertarian capitalist utopia actually working is when people at the very very top, the .001%, act in a manner which benefits society at large.

But the problem is, for every Warren Buffet and Bill Gates, there are 10 Dick Cheneys and Mitt Romneys.

Sadly, the 1% are not a benevolent group: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/27/the-rich-are-as-selfish-as-you-think.html
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:42:53 PM

Libertarianism has many branches, the one you are referring to is beneficial to a very small group of people, the filthy rich, those are the guys who do not want any regulation so they can manipulate the market for their own advantage.

Here's a small example on why that is not good thing:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/09/30/3573680/trade-deal-europe-food-safety/

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:51:22 PM

"I've never met a poor or non-white libertarian..."

And this has caused me to rethink my views. ...

I have.

Maybe you just need to get around more?
cryptonikus

Activity: 595

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 12:53:51 PM

Total eradication of state is non realistic for this century. We are not far enough. Today libertarian - freemarket society would be actually bruteforce market.
gang wars everywhere. Street gangs fighting guerilla style in streets and  higher financial mafia gangs fighting on markets. Ordinary people would be slaves , exactly like in times before creation of state. Who would control public order? Private corporations are obliged to create profit, not to guarantee your rights. They would do whatever is more beneficial to them, you would be just comodity, not human being.

▄███████████████▄
       ▄██▀             ▀██▄
    ▄▄██▀                 ▀██▄▄
█████▀▀       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄    ▀▀█████
██          ▄▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▀█▄▄      ██
▐█▌       ▄▀ ▄▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▀▀▀███   ▐█▌
 ██      ▄▀▄▀▄▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀█ ▄█▀   ██
 ▐█▌    █▄▀▄▀▄█▀▀▀ ▀█▀ ▄▀▄▀█   ▐█▌
  ██    █▄▀▄▀▄▄█▀ ▄▀ ▄▀▄▀▄▀█   ██
  ▐█▌ ▀▄█████▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀█  ▐█▌
   ██▌▀████▀██▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▀ ▐██
    ██▌▀█▀▀█▄▀▀▄▀▀▄▄▀▄█▄▄█▀ ▐██
     ██▌ ▀  ▀███▄▄▄█████▀  ▐██
      ██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀      ▄██
       ▀██▄             ▄██▀
         ▀██▄         ▄██▀
           ▀██▄     ▄██▀
             ▀███▄███▀
               ▀███▀
.DeepOnion.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★  .❱❱❱ JOIN AIRDROP NOW!.
TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED
★  Your Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Your Assets Secured by TOR
★  Guard Your Privacy!
|Bitcointalk
Reddit
Telegram
|                        ▄▄▀▄▄▀▄▄▀▄▀▀
                    ▄▄██▀█▀▄▀▀▀
                  ▄██▄█▄██▀
                ▄██████▀
              ▄██████▀
  ▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
██████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀
 ▀█████  ▄███████
  ████████████▀██
  ██▀███████▀  ██
  ██ ▀████▀    ██
  ██   ▀▀      ██
  ▀█████████████▀
hodap

Activity: 306
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 01:16:05 PM

Libertarianism has many branches, the one you are referring to is beneficial to a very small group of people, the filthy rich, those are the guys who do not want any regulation so they can manipulate the market for their own advantage.

Here's a small example on why that is not good thing:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/09/30/3573680/trade-deal-europe-food-safety/

No one can manipulate the market for long. Even entity such as Fed needs to play by the rules or face demise going against market force.
newflesh

Activity: 630

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 02:01:17 PM

I doubt you'll ever meet one...

The only way I can see a libertarian capitalist utopia actually working is when people at the very very top, the .001%, act in a manner which benefits society at large.

Not very likely. Libertarians aren't exactly reknowned for their generosity, it goes against everything Ayn Rand preached Wink
CripLib

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

Crypto Liberty

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 02:23:05 PM

Well, I am poor, I am non-white, and I am libertarian... nice to meet you Smiley

INSTANT GAMBLING  .!..PRIMEDICE.... 0.91% HOUSE EDGE
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄               HIGH BTC FAUCET EACH MINUTE!                    SELL YOUR SIGNATURE SPACE FOR BITCOINS!
THE WORLD'S MOST POPULAR BITCOIN GAMBLING WEBSITE
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 03:08:59 PM

Gee thanks, nice to know someone out there in the world views someone's ideology purely based on whether they're white, I truly enjoy it when someone talks about themselves so benignly and then proceeds to spew an incredibly racist and hypocritical rant just because they think it's okay to say that kind of shit to white people, you know, because they deserve it. I also find it even more amusing when these people rant about how selfish people like Libertarians and Anarchists are and completely ignore the fact that they aren't the ones going around and forcing people to pay taxes through either threat of imprisonment or gunpoint, because that's oh so much better for a society to be oppressed through fear rather than letting them be generous to society through choice.

As it stands, Anarcho-Communists, Anarcho-Syndicalists and even Marxists have more fucking empathy from me than people like the OP, when government loyalists acknowledge the fact that you go to jail if you don't pay your taxes then we'll talk.
TrailingComet

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:52:30 PM

So you have never ever met non-white folks of significant means? Significant wealth increasingly equates to libertarian sympathies regardless of race or ethnicity

pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 05:22:22 PM

Gee thanks, nice to know someone out there in the world views someone's ideology purely based on whether they're white, I truly enjoy it when someone talks about themselves so benignly and then proceeds to spew an incredibly racist and hypocritical rant just because they think it's okay to say that kind of shit to white people, you know, because they deserve it. I also find it even more amusing when these people rant about how selfish people like Libertarians and Anarchists are and completely ignore the fact that they aren't the ones going around and forcing people to pay taxes through either threat of imprisonment or gunpoint, because that's oh so much better for a society to be oppressed through fear rather than letting them be generous to society through choice.

As it stands, Anarcho-Communists, Anarcho-Syndicalists and even Marxists have more fucking empathy from me than people like the OP, when government loyalists acknowledge the fact that you go to jail if you don't pay your taxes then we'll talk.

Well, just doing Devil's Advocate for a bit, but why people who refuse to pay taxes should not pay a price for that? They sure enjoy the same privileges as everyone else. Are some people entitled to a free ride?

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 05:31:42 PM

What if they want nothing to do with the shitty system they've been born into? You're simply assuming because they don't want to pay taxes they want to take benefits as well.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 05:35:25 PM

What if they want nothing to do with the shitty system they've been born into? You're simply assuming because they don't want to pay taxes they want to take benefits as well.

It's very, very difficult to live in a place and not take any benefit from it, how do you suppose that can be achieved?

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 05:39:18 PM

It's very, very difficult to live in a place and not take any benefit from it, how do you suppose that can be achieved?

By not forcing their beliefs on them? As I've said possibly a million times now, I have nothing against people just helping each other voluntarily but when people claim that they pay taxes so that they can have healthcare etc. to make sure people don't get left in the street to die then proceed to bitch and whine when said people are found to not pay their taxes I find that pretty hypocritical because it shows that's not what they meant in the slightest.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 05:42:26 PM
Last edit: October 05, 2014, 12:43:57 AM by TheButterZone

Bullshit. Since when are libertarians required to wear Jew badges and provide their income level for everyone they meet to see?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 05:49:38 PM

By not forcing their beliefs on them? As I've said possibly a million times now, I have nothing against people just helping each other voluntarily but when people claim that they pay taxes so that they can have healthcare etc. to make sure people don't get left in the street to die then proceed to bitch and whine when said people are found to not pay their taxes I find that pretty hypocritical because it shows that's not what they meant in the slightest.

Sorry, I'm not following. What does belief has to do with it?

You could make a case that if someone lives in their property and never goes to the outside world and is completely autonomous, that person should not pay taxes on the land they own, well I say they do have to pay taxes, because at some point they do lived among the rest of society and took advantage of all it has to offer. There's no free lunch...

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 05:50:51 PM

Like I said, you're just pushing your own beliefs onto somebody who was simply born into that situation, they don't owe you anything just for living.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 05:57:08 PM

Like I said, you're just pushing your own beliefs onto somebody who was simply born into that situation, they don't owe you anything just for living.

Do they ever went to the hospital? Did they went to school? did they ever used a road? How about electricity? Water?

We are social animals and we have live in a society, there are many resources and infrastructure that are shared, directly or indirectly, by everyone and they do need to be paid for.

Like I said, there's no free lunch.

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 06:17:27 PM

Do they ever went to the hospital? Did they went to school? did they ever used a road? How about electricity? Water?

We are social animals and we have live in a society, there are many resources and infrastructure that are shared, directly or indirectly, by everyone and they do need to be paid for.

Fucking newborn babies not able to instantly teleport themselves out of tax slavery as soon as they leave the womb!

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 06:52:03 PM

Fucking newborn babies not able to instantly teleport themselves out of tax slavery as soon as they leave the womb!

Correct.

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 06:57:41 PM

Hospitals: not monopoly government-run
Schools: not monopoly government-run
Roads: construction funded privately once upon a time, now usurped and effectively monopolized by tax funding
Electricity: not monopoly government-provided
Water: not monopoly government-provided

Homeland security: right to self-defense infringed, usurped by the government despite longstanding legal precedent of no duty to protect, poorly provided at best, civil rights violations 24/7/365 at worst

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: