Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:27:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Guess my baby's sex!  (Read 4628 times)
Ian Maxwell (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2011, 03:38:53 AM

My wife Jennifer and I are having a baby in September! Or maybe October---the due date is September 30, so there's room for it to go either way. But anyway, this is exciting!

And soon (possibly next week) we're going in for an ultrasound and finding out the sex! Even more exciting!

Do you want to use this as a way to make some quick bitcoins and help out a young couple at the same time? Then, ladies and gentlemen, place your bets.

How it works

I'm running a parimutuel betting pool on the sex of my baby. Bet as much as you want by sending bitcoins to one of the following addresses:

IT'S A BOY! at 163oWWKA3C9uQ2UHept19wEPq54JdUGKii
IT'S A GIRL! at 17Qcg9sYFuGSQSj5qPD8K7xRNfHkgNigYb

Send these bitcoins from your own wallet! If you use a service like MyBitcoin your winnings are likely to be lost!

When we find out the sex, I'll take all the bets and split them up between the addresses on the winning side, in proportion to the size of the bet. I'll also take a cut---ten percent, plus any "remainders" after people's winnings are rounded down to fit into eight decimal places. Hopefully it will be enough to help defray the exciting new expenses of being a parent!

Demo

Say the bets break down like this:
Joe bets 5 BTC on "boy"
Susan bets 2 BTC on "boy"
Ed bets 1 BTC on "girl"
Agnes bets 3.14159 BTC on "girl"

That's a total of 11.14159 BTC---7 for "boy" and 4.14159 for "girl". After I take out my 10% cut, there's 10.14159 left in the pool.

Now let's say it turns out it's a girl. Then Ed and Agnes win the pot! I split it up "equally" by sending 2.42115492 to Ed and 7.60627608 to Agnes. (Agnes bet more, so she wins more proportionally.)

On the other hand, if it's a boy, I'll send 7.16245071 to Joe and 2.86498029 to Susan. You can see that you stand to win more by being on the less popular side---it's like a metaphor for Bitcoin itself!  Cheesy

Q&A

Why would I bet on this when BitLotto only keeps 1%?
Because that guy is spending his take on hookers and blow, and I'm spending mine on diapers and college. (In all seriousness, I'm totally cool with the lotteries and what they're doing. This is not an attempt to compete with them on equal grounds---it's more like a charity raffle in my own name.)

How do I know I can trust you?
I have a minor but positive reputation here. If you don't trust me anyway, I guess you shouldn't bet, or bet very little. Personally, I think my cut is good enough that there's no need for me to try and cheat on top of it.

Do you already have some sort of information on the sex that you're withholding?
Not a thing. I can tell you that Jennifer's family all expect a girl (because they've had a lot of boys lately), and my family all expect a boy (because they've had a lot of girls lately). She also expects a boy, but cheerfully admits it's a wild guess. I'm equally prepared(?) for either one.

I'm still not totally clear on how this works?
Then ask away!

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ataranlen

Activity: 846
Merit: 1000

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2011, 03:50:41 AM

Congrats on the Baby! I take it this is yall's first? They're a lot of work, but soooooo worth it!

MineTexas.com Minecraft Server We accept Bitcoin and Dogecoin.
Deepbit on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deepbit/151108048294815
mjsbuddha

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

yung lean

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 03:51:35 AM

even winners can be losers with this set up.

example:
mike bets 100btc on girl
john bets 1 btc on boy
steve bets 1 btc on boy
alan bets bets 1 btc on boy

you take 10% of the 103 btc which is 10.3 btc and if its a girl mike "wins" 92.7 btc when he put in 100 btc
Ian Maxwell (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2011, 03:54:20 AM

Hm.... that is possible, if the bets are wildly unbalanced. I was assuming they'd be close to even between the two possibilities. If that actually happens, I guess I'll just make up the difference from my cut.

It is our first! And believe me, I'm already expecting it to be a lot of work. (I'll probably still manage to be surprised by it, though)

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 03:56:15 AM

Do you already have some sort of information on the sex that you're withholding?
Not a thing.

Were you and your wife vertical or horizontal at conception?

Ian Maxwell (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2011, 03:57:06 AM

@doood: My sex life is far too healthy for me to have a definite answer to that question.  Grin

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
mjsbuddha

yung lean

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 03:57:12 AM

Not a thing.

Were you and your wife vertical or horizontal at conception?

omg... he went there...
mjsbuddha

yung lean

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 03:58:34 AM

anyway, good luck with both the child and the betting pool.
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 04:03:34 AM

When we find out the sex, I'll take all the bets and split them up...

My only request is that if possible give us all a day or two warning before you find out the sex...

Like post "We are heading for an ultrasound next Tuesday" for example.

That way everyone can get their final bets in on time.

nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2011, 04:12:46 AM

please post picture of the pregnant belly, front and side views, not obstructed by loose-fitting clothing. Smiley

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
mjsbuddha

yung lean

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 04:15:44 AM

come on guys. give the guy some privacy.
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 04:23:02 AM

I'm running a parimutuel betting pool on the sex of my baby. Bet as much as you want by sending bitcoins to one of the following addresses:

Then ask away!

what about if it is twins?

do you have gpg web trust?
nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2011, 04:28:18 AM

come on guys. give the guy some privacy.

heh, guy posts a betting pool on the sex of his baby... he's gotta expect some related queries.

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 04:30:08 PM

i think he asked for ultrasound photos because he'd beable to identify the genitalia without the photo being classified as CP,
And when a baby is First born somepeople have troubles recognizing M/F.
But i think what would be the most appropriate "THIS IS PROOF" document would be a brief snapshot of the "Male/Female" part of the birth certificate

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
lulzplzkthx

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2011, 04:45:15 PM

Sent! My sources better be right...

Alex Beckenham

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 11:13:22 PM

i think he asked for ultrasound photos because he'd beable to identify the genitalia without the photo being classified as CP,
But i think what would be the most appropriate "THIS IS PROOF" document would be a brief snapshot of the "Male/Female" part of the birth certificate

Who asked for ultrasound photos?

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 08:42:48 PM

Who asked for ultrasound photos?

/facepalm

Why did i ever think ultrasound?, LoL!

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 01:22:42 AM

This is way too easy to scam.  Figure out sex.  Have some "anonymous" people bet on the winning side.  Profit.

I'm sure you are probably a reputable guy and all, but something like this where insider knowledge completely crushes the bet is super easy to scam.
kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 01:55:51 AM

Well the payout should be close to double-or-nothing if there are enough bets.  It's be easy to tell if the fix was in.  Unfortunately not until after the event.
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 02:12:41 AM

Well the payout should be close to double-or-nothing if there are enough bets.  It's be easy to tell if the fix was in.  Unfortunately not until after the event.

Not necessarily.  If too many people bet on one side, I bet new betters would take the other.  So you make your bets early enough that it evens out by people trying to get a "better" deal, then it doesn't look suspicious.

Don't mean to be paranoid, just seen The Sting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: