Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:49:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S4 Setup [HD]  (Read 49339 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2014, 03:09:44 AM

To add more information to things I just now checked on it again as I saw it was not hashing on my pool and saw the LCD screen was lit up but the LAN connection was no longer showing blinking lights or any sort of light. Works fine after a reset once again...

It almost seems to me that the controller board on this unit is defective. This has been going on for over a day now.

The controller boards reeeeally rarely fail, its much more likely to be the SD card. Try reflashing the SD card with the image in post #2 (or clone your other unit). If that doesn't help then we're on to searching for the hardware cause.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lovenlifelarge

Activity: 676
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 02:32:23 PM

Another thing i have noticed is the S4 doesnt have the pool switching tab, So u can switch from : Failover, Balance or Load Balance?

Is that something that can be fixed??

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██████████████████████████████
██                          ██
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2014, 12:16:50 AM

Another thing i have noticed is the S4 doesnt have the pool switching tab, So u can switch from : Failover, Balance or Load Balance?

Is that something that can be fixed??

I'm sure there'll be a option to edit a config via SSH, but I don't have file locations. Someone else will be along shortly to help.

sloopy

Activity: 700

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:59:21 PM

To add more information to things I just now checked on it again as I saw it was not hashing on my pool and saw the LCD screen was lit up but the LAN connection was no longer showing blinking lights or any sort of light. Works fine after a reset once again...

It almost seems to me that the controller board on this unit is defective. This has been going on for over a day now.

The controller boards reeeeally rarely fail, its much more likely to be the SD card. Try reflashing the SD card with the image in post #2 (or clone your other unit). If that doesn't help then we're on to searching for the hardware cause.

Not to double post about my current issue, but I never see a light at all around the controller board or the Lan port, or really anywehere except the ones by the pushbutton on the PSU where I see the flashing red and steady yellow.

Is this PS related or should I try flashing.
What software to write the image to the SD card, I have a card reader.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
Rovernelson

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 08:20:18 PM

What do I do if not all of the ASICS are online even after multiple restarts?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 09:54:19 PM

Not to double post about my current issue, but I never see a light at all around the controller board or the Lan port, or really anywehere except the ones by the pushbutton on the PSU where I see the flashing red and steady yellow.

Is this PS related or should I try flashing.
What software to write the image to the SD card, I have a card reader.

Flashing red + yellow means faulty, PM BitmainWarranty to arrange an RMA. Be sure to link to your post describing the issues, what type and how many miners you wish to have repaired/replaced and your bitmaintech.com order number.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 09:54:34 PM

What do I do if not all of the ASICS are online even after multiple restarts?

Can you post a screenshot of your configuration page please?

Activity: 207
Merit: 112

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:31:26 PM

Hey Dogie,
   Any experience losing a whole chain? Can't seem to restore it after a hard restart. Should I open it up and check the blade?

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 08:10:21 PM

Hey Dogie,
   Any experience losing a whole chain? Can't seem to restore it after a hard restart. Should I open it up and check the blade?

No, that's quite unusual if its after a hard reset. Yes give it a check inside. After that, try changing frequency and voltage as that can sometimes kickstart a misbehaving module. After that, try swapping over power cables from one of the other modules and see if the dead module 'moves'. Let me know how you get on.

Activity: 207
Merit: 112

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 08:32:02 PM

Hey Dogie,

Ended up being a ground wire that had worked its way loose! Good to go after a tear down.

abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 10:25:56 PM

I've got a few S4 that recently started having every single share discarded.  All of them started this behavior at the exact same time.

Temps are showing as 0, and all ASICs appear to be online.

Any ideas?

I tried reflashing the firmware, but that hasn't appeared to help.

TIA.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 10:42:10 PM

I've got a few S4 that recently started having every single share discarded.  All of them started this behavior at the exact same time.

Temps are showing as 0, and all ASICs appear to be online. Any ideas? I tried reflashing the firmware, but that hasn't appeared to help.

Running through some steps to double check:
1) I assume you've done hard restarts
2) I assume your mains power is okay and unchanged. Green lights on the back of the PSUs?
3) I assume your pool is fine (what is it)? As its at least receiving shares to discard

If multiple units all had exactly the same thing at once, it can only be the 2 things external to the S4s: Internet or power.

abracadabra

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 10:54:17 PM

I've got a few S4 that recently started having every single share discarded.  All of them started this behavior at the exact same time.

Temps are showing as 0, and all ASICs appear to be online. Any ideas? I tried reflashing the firmware, but that hasn't appeared to help.

2) I assume your mains power is okay and unchanged. Green lights on the back of the PSUs?
3) I assume your pool is fine (what is it)? As its at least receiving shares to discard

If multiple units all had exactly the same thing at once, it can only be the 2 things external to the S4s: Internet or power.

There are multiple S4 at the location.  about 25% of the units at this location have this problem.  The other 75% are fine.

The units are not local to me.  I'll have to head over there tomorrow to physically power cycle them and visually confirm LEDs. 
Was just wondering if there was something I could do remotely to get them going again.

ssh reboot didn't help.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 02:32:16 PM

I've got a few S4 that recently started having every single share discarded.  All of them started this behavior at the exact same time.

There are multiple S4 at the location.  about 25% of the units at this location have this problem.  The other 75% are fine.

The units are not local to me.  I'll have to head over there tomorrow to physically power cycle them and visually confirm LEDs. 
Was just wondering if there was something I could do remotely to get them going again.

ssh reboot didn't help.

Unfortunately no. While you're there might be worth checking some of the internal power cables as they can work their way loose [bots holding them down] via vibrations.

sloopy

Activity: 700

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 04:25:18 PM

Is the newest firmware on the bitmain website for the S4 the best one to use?
I have my B2 power supply installed and the unit came up but I never could get the 'right' image to write to my SD
Since it is up I will flash through the web interface on the S4 itself if I know the build is good.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
abracadabra

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 12:49:17 AM

ssh reboot didn't help.

Unfortunately no. While you're there might be worth checking some of the internal power cables as they can work their way loose [bots holding them down] via vibrations.

power cycle got rid of the gremlins..
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 03:39:06 AM

ssh reboot didn't help.

power cycle got rid of the gremlins..

Glad to hear it.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 07:04:31 PM

Is the newest firmware on the bitmain website for the S4 the best one to use?
I have my B2 power supply installed and the unit came up but I never could get the 'right' image to write to my SD
Since it is up I will flash through the web interface on the S4 itself if I know the build is good.

Yes it should be good to go.

waldofaldo

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 04:44:04 AM

Hi,

I would like to know if someone that have bought S4 miners had same problems as me.

I bought on black friday 32 units, first week working 3 PSU got waisted, after that some more till 7.

I replaced through RMA 6 of the 7 units, one unit was a fan problem, Bitmain told me they would send me a fan, but they did not. No answer from them.

Right now I have got, again, 6 more units with faulty PSU.

Since the first day I had got 4 boards with broken chips, but I couldn't make Bitmain to replace them, I am still under 90 days of warranty.

I had to pay for all the PSU shipment as well.

I opened all units to check them and I could see units full of dust near to be waisted.

Anyone with same problems?
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 06:40:43 AM

Hi,

I would like to know if someone that have bought S4 miners had same problems as me.

I bought on black friday 32 units, first week working 3 PSU got waisted, after that some more till 7.

I replaced through RMA 6 of the 7 units, one unit was a fan problem, Bitmain told me they would send me a fan, but they did not. No answer from them.

Right now I have got, again, 6 more units with faulty PSU.

Since the first day I had got 4 boards with broken chips, but I couldn't make Bitmain to replace them, I am still under 90 days of warranty.

I had to pay for all the PSU shipment as well.

I opened all units to check them and I could see units full of dust near to be waisted.

Anyone with same problems?

Many people already reported about dust on new unit  Cheesy
Bitmain run "burnin test" before send the unit  Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: