Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:29:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S4 Setup [HD]  (Read 49340 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 07:15:51 AM

An update and potential to laugh a bajula.. and laugh and laugh and laugh.
Bitmain referred me to the manufacturer of the psu. No response from them (apluspower) yet. So I got bored... tore the thing apart. there are only two + coming off the psu and split into 4. So that makes the thick wire makes sense.. that's like a 60a draw. So yeah.. fire waiting to happen.
Revisiting the other psu ideas. ( I need something that will work on 110 btw) So now I'm at taking a modular cpu (8 pin) 18g should carry 40a MAX but I'm only looking at 30 or so. running those to the ends of the original wires - (split into 4 pos 4 neg each with 4 18g spliced in using twist connectors for home electrical wiring ... so that should take it fine. In theory a little over 360W per board (2 boards per plate)

While it 'should' work, and be fine and all... if I don't come back and say anything else.. Either it worked fine and I just went away... (unlikely since I like to talk so much) or I electrocuted myself (moooooostly unlikely - I'm a little paranoid about getting shocked.. ) or I got a replacement psu in before deciding to go splice crazy... probably unlikely otherwise I wouldn't have kept thinking of another way to rig this thing. hehe.

Stay tuned.. there may follow a tale of fire and woe.. or wailing and gnashing of teeth, maybe a tale of pluck, grit and success against all odds.. or maybe a fairy tale romance.. eww ick... no not that one... definitely not that last. Smiley

Did you contact Bitmain warranty?  They are normally very helpful.    I would think they would help with PSU "ideas". 

As far as replacing that would depend if under warranty or not.  If not under warranty I would think they would sell you a PSU.
Bajula

Activity: 166
Merit: 16

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:06:19 AM

Warranty is past, and I asked both about buying a replacement, and if 2 1000w would work (This was before other discussions about it) They were very prompt, asked me which psu, then came back with the 2 1000's should work, but to contact the manufacturer of the psu for everything else.
I took that as a we don't have 'em/we aren't selling any right now etc... The new psu's they are selling I think is why they asked which psu I had to see if it was pci-e connections or the lugs.  They are generally both nice and quick.. a rarity anywhere in the world lately hehehe. Anyway the purchasing question was ignored, I think perhaps because I offered a potential other solution, or they don't have any to spare and sent me to the manufacturer.. who has yet to respond, but it's the weekend, etc.. I'm not sweating it just yet.. but 2th down for days on end has me a bit... tweaky. Smiley
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:16:41 AM

Warranty is past, and I asked both about buying a replacement, and if 2 1000w would work (This was before other discussions about it) They were very prompt, asked me which psu, then came back with the 2 1000's should work, but to contact the manufacturer of the psu for everything else.
I took that as a we don't have 'em/we aren't selling any right now etc... The new psu's they are selling I think is why they asked which psu I had to see if it was pci-e connections or the lugs.  They are generally both nice and quick.. a rarity anywhere in the world lately hehehe. Anyway the purchasing question was ignored, I think perhaps because I offered a potential other solution, or they don't have any to spare and sent me to the manufacturer.. who has yet to respond, but it's the weekend, etc.. I'm not sweating it just yet.. but 2th down for days on end has me a bit... tweaky. Smiley

Contact bitmain warranty and let them know that you are not able to contact the psu makers.  I'm sure they will help if that turned out to be a dead end.

Have you looked into getting the PSU from a place besides direct from the manufacturer?
Bajula

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:53:47 AM

I looked at a few possibilities other than the manufacturer. They seem a bit hard to find, except at alibaba, which I'm a bit leery of, it's like rolling the dice, sometimes you get a fantastic deal, other times you get screwed. They don't seem to have much inbetween there. Smiley  I'm going to give the manufacturer a couple of days or so to respond, It could be just a timing issue.
Though I have to say, I appreciate the advice, even though it seems like I'm dismissing it. I'm not dismissing it. Smiley I'll continue the search. hehe. For a future thing though, I have a rental house that the renters just left, I'm thinking about re-doing the electrical with a ton of 220* outlets and just fill that place up with miners eh? hehe. Then I can find loads of psu's that will do what I need, and with less heat and in a few cases, more cost effectively.
but for now I gotta stick with the 110.. for a little while yet. Smiley
That got brought up because when I went searching for psu's I found loads of them that would work great, but all 220.
Hell in the end I may try the corsairs out on it anyway, depending on what else happens. Smiley 'Cause I'm curious now.
Side note: I've done all kinds of crazy modding/mistreatment of miners and so far I've killed tons of psu's but not one board or chip. Someone needs to think that through when talking about what environment variables a miner can or can't function under. The psu will crap out long before the miner in most cases. Smiley oh to clarify, I did NOT mistreat this s4, it was stock speed, etc.. We did have a helluva series of storms though... N. texas near ok border.. so if you heard about tigernados, or some such.. yeah.. it's like that. I assume it was repeated power failures in the the middle of the night just too many times for the poor little guy to take.. or too frequent in a row perhaps. Not sure.. storms make me sleep heavier. hehe.

*the ref to 110 and 220 is simply because so many americans are used to calling 120 and 240 110 and 220, and what can I say.. I'm 'merikan.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 10:12:16 AM

snip
For a future thing though, I have a rental house that the renters just left, I'm thinking about re-doing the electrical with a ton of 220* outlets and just fill that place up with miners eh? hehe. Then I can find loads of psu's that will do what I need, and with less heat and in a few cases, more cost effectively.
but for now I gotta stick with the 110.. for a little while yet. Smiley

I would do some serious ROI.  What price is your electricity?

Also summer mining can be hard, my advice is build up slow.  This way you don't have way to much heat or other issues.   Heat is something that might take some tinkering to get right.
Bajula

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 10:31:53 AM

10c/kwh  the heat here is a killer though. Texas summers sometimes get... bad. hehe.
FlensGold
Legendary

Activity: 1405
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 12:32:04 PM

Unfortunately one of my S4 fans (one at the back) died recently. Can you recommend a replacement fan?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 11:21:00 PM

Unfortunately one of my S4 fans (one at the back) died recently. Can you recommend a replacement fan?

Here is the best article as far as replacement fans - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204199879-Antminer-S4-fan-specification-and-possible-replacement-fans

dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 12:21:41 AM

If you can't get ahold of the server-esque fans a simple Corsair SP120 works fine as long as put it on the front. The rear fans do the majority of the work.

FlensGold
Legendary

Activity: 1405
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 11:53:57 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I replaced the front fans with SP120 PWM fans, but the miner is still loud as hell.
Is there a chance to replace the fans on the back as well? Are there suggestions for more quiet fans?
FreeFelix

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 04:17:59 PM

Hi All

Have been running my S4 at 2T/H happily since March.

Just yesterday it shut down and will not restart - just get the flashing red light at the back indicating a fault and amber light on.

Was not aware of it operating above 60deg.

Any suggestions where to start when I open it up as I assume I will have to do.

thanks
FreeFelix

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 04:28:59 PM

Its batch 2
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 05:47:26 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. I replaced the front fans with SP120 PWM fans, but the miner is still loud as hell.
Is there a chance to replace the fans on the back as well? Are there suggestions for more quiet fans?

Not really, no. Its not a great design for cooling efficiency and so has to rely on high airflow to get the job done. S4s do have some headroom but not enough to have a significant impact.

Hi All Have been running my S4 at 2T/H happily since March. Just yesterday it shut down and will not restart - just get the flashing red light at the back indicating a fault and amber light on. Was not aware of it operating above 60deg.Any suggestions where to start when I open it up as I assume I will have to do. thanks
PSU is dead, nothing we can do. RMA it if its still in the 3 month warranty by contacting bitmain.zendesk.com or replace it yourself.

FreeFelix

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 10:20:20 PM

Not in warranty as far as I know - where can I buy  a new PSU - direct from them?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 10:45:04 PM

Not in warranty as far as I know - where can I buy  a new PSU - direct from them?

Yes, its on Bitmaintech.com. Do check that you have the PCI-E version of S4 though, as the PSU is PCI-E based and NOT spade connector based like many S4s out there.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 04:05:54 AM

Yes, its on Bitmaintech.com. Do check that you have the PCI-E version of S4 though, as the PSU is PCI-E based and NOT spade connector based like many S4s out there.

If it is the other type of connector it's worth throwing a ticket or email t words Bitmain Support.   Ask if they have a replacement PSU you can buy.   If they do that will save you from some modding.

Here is one way to reach them: https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
FreeFelix

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 08:31:22 AM

If it is the other type of connector it's worth throwing a ticket or email t words Bitmain Support.   Ask if they have a replacement PSU you can buy.   If they do that will save you from some modding.

Hi thanks for the info

Am in communication with them right now - asked me to send the unit back to Denver - but am in the UK - maybe cheaper to buy new one - will see
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 10:07:16 AM

Hi thanks for the info

Am in communication with them right now - asked me to send the unit back to Denver - but am in the UK - maybe cheaper to buy new one - will see

That's unlikely Tongue You should be able to send it for ~£20. https://www.parcel2go.com/quotes?col=219&dest=217&p=1~3|20|30|20#/results

wajiminer

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 10:14:09 PM

My S4 has stopped working.  The LCD reads 0GHS, I can get into the IP and the boards look good, and the pools say they're alive but no speed. And when I turn it on, the bootup screen comes on where it says Antminer -- and shows the IP, but then the screen goes blank, the fans speed up, and it reboots several times, before it gets to the the screen where it shows its not hashing.

Any ideas?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 10:21:08 PM

My S4 has stopped working.  The LCD reads 0GHS, I can get into the IP and the boards look good, and the pools say they're alive but no speed. And when I turn it on, the bootup screen comes on where it says Antminer -- and shows the IP, but then the screen goes blank, the fans speed up, and it reboots several times, before it gets to the the screen where it shows its not hashing.

Any ideas?

What does the PSU seem to be doing?  Does it show any issues from it's indicator leds?

Also you might check connections - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203361315-Board-Diagnostics  Never hurts to make sure connections are snug.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: