Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:51:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: IPv6 now live on bitcoin network - please test  (Read 10592 times)
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 01:45:26 AM

sipa just pushed out IPv6 support to bitcoin/bitcoin.git.

If you have IPv6 support on your network, please help test.  (note - this requires being able to compile the source code yourself)

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 04:05:42 AM

This is great, however I don't care to compile for Windows. I have a few HE.net tunnels that I should be able to test with, is there a way to disable IPv4 in the client in order to run the tests?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 04:52:47 AM

I would like to test, but I can't compile on my win7 machine. I have always been excited about ipv6 and am glad that bitcoin is finally getting into it!

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 05:41:34 AM

Sweet, I'll give it a try tomorrow

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Jine

Activity: 403

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 09:23:15 AM

Yay! Bitlc.net won't be the only provider having full IPv6 support then! Smiley
I'm setting up a bitcoind-node with v6 in a few hours.

Previous founder of Bit LC Inc. | I've always loved the idea of bitcoin.
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 10:50:46 AM

This is great, however I don't care to compile for Windows. I have a few HE.net tunnels that I should be able to test with, is there a way to disable IPv4 in the client in order to run the tests?

Yes, there's a new command-line option -blocknet=X, where X can be ipv4 or ipv6. Using it means the client won't listen (at least not by default) to X interfaces, and will not attempt outgoing connections to that network.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
MacRohard

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 03:44:21 PM

Mine is up and listening on 2001:ba8:1c8:104:6a05:caff:fe05:7b39 - no ipv6 connections at the moment though. :p

Jine

Activity: 403

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 12:26:10 AM

I got a v6 node up and running at home now to. Located at 2001:16d8:ff00:559::2 (Sixxs tunnel)

Got TWO connections so far, in total... But it works, the blockchain takes for ever to download tho, guessing it's because the low connection amount.

Previous founder of Bit LC Inc. | I've always loved the idea of bitcoin.
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 09:20:26 PM

Our DNS seeds are now returning AAAA records.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
J.P. Larocque

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 05:46:16 AM

It's great to finally see IPv6 support!  This should be a big win.

I'm running IPv6 at 2002:c6ca:19fb:1:21f:16ff:fe29:d04c (git commit d6615a5 on Linux).  The system has a NATted 1918 IPv4 address, two 6to4 IPv6 addresses, and a Teredo address.  For the 3 days and 1 hour it's been up, bitcoind has apparently never tried contacting or been contacted by another IPv6 node.  It's started as "bitcoind -printtoconsole" and only has rpcpassword set in bitcoin.conf.  getinfo reports 8 connections (to be expected because I don't have IPv4 port forwarding set up).  I've verified it is listening on [::]:8333 with netstat.

-blocknet is now apparently -onlynet, where the meaning has changed to only allow one address family rather than exclude it.  I tried starting bitcoind with -onlynet=ipv6 and get 4 connections total.  IPv6 does work in this case.  It's been 2.3 hours, and I'll let it run like this for the time being.

IMO, the availability of IPv6 on a machine, even via transition technologies like 6to4 or Teredo, should increase the number of usable peer connections that the Bitcoin client has at its disposal; IPv6 should open up new opportunities for direct peering that couldn't happen automatically behind NAT.  From my experience with stock settings in a situation like this, the IPv6 improvements did nothing over that 3-day period.  Maybe there's a way to program the client or tweak the protocol to encourage additional IPv6 connections (without excluding IPv4 entirely)?
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 10:33:35 AM

What's the benefit of using IPv6?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
rini17

Activity: 340

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 10:46:23 AM

What's the benefit of using IPv6?
Among others, NAT is not supported - more peers should be reachable that are now behind home routers. Also, roaming - connections are not lost when you switch networks (but this depends on proper implementation at ISPs, we'll see)

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 11:19:25 AM

The number one advantage of IPv6 over IPv4 is the much larger address space. To quote Vint Cerf, one of the "fathers of the internet", a few weeks ago:
The other thing that is very important for the last decade or so, is the introduction of mobile technology. There are 5.5 billion or so mobiles in use today; not all of them are internet-capable, but probably 20% to 25% are, and over time that percentage will go up. The reason that's important, is that for many people their first introduction to the internet comes through a mobile as opposed to a desktop or a laptop or an iPad. For many it will stay that way, and for others: they will begin to accumulate other devices that they will use in addition to their mobiles. But that adds a huge demand for address space on the network, because if every mobile that is internet-enabled has to have an IP address assigned, eventually you start to run out of IP addresses. And in fact, that's what we're faced with today.

We chose a 32-bit address space in 1973, in order to carry out an experiment. And I want to emphasize that this was an experiment. What I though was that if the experiment succeeded, then we would design a production version of the system. Well the problem is that the experiment never ended, and so we're still using the experimental internet which only has 4.3 billion terminations built into its design. So in 1996 in a great panic, we developed, and here "we" in this case is not Bob (Kahn) and me but rather the IETF, developed an alternative packet format called IPv6. It has 128 bits of address space and if you do the math that's 3.4*10^38 addresses. This is a number only the (?) can appreciate. We are now in the process of introducing in parallel with IPv4 the IPv6 formats. So on june 8th last year (2011), many of us in the internet community turned on the IPv6 capabilities that we had in addition to IPv4. On june 6th this year, all of us are going to turn on IPv6 and leave it on. So this is a very important year for the internet because IPv6 will be launched on june 6th. Google and many other have been preparing for this for several years and we're all looking forward to seeing what happens when we turn it on and leave it on permanently.

On a more practical note: bcause of IPv6 much larger address space, addresses are much cheaper, and typical home internet connections are intended to provide many - enough to give each household device its own public address (though firewalled) without needing atrocities like NAT (creating a separate independent local network, and translate addresses between them) and UPnP to overcome it.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 11:25:18 AM

The number one advantage of IPv6 over IPv4 is the much larger address space. To quote Vint Cerf, one of the "fathers of the internet", a few weeks ago:
The other thing that is very important for the last decade or so, is the introduction of mobile technology. There are 5.5 billion or so mobiles in use today; not all of them are internet-capable, but probably 20% to 25% are, and over time that percentage will go up. The reason that's important, is that for many people their first introduction to the internet comes through a mobile as opposed to a desktop or a laptop or an iPad. For many it will stay that way, and for others: they will begin to accumulate other devices that they will use in addition to their mobiles. But that adds a huge demand for address space on the network, because if every mobile that is internet-enabled has to have an IP address assigned, eventually you start to run out of IP addresses. And in fact, that's what we're faced with today.

We chose a 32-bit address space in 1973, in order to carry out an experiment. And I want to emphasize that this was an experiment. What I though was that if the experiment succeeded, then we would design a production version of the system. Well the problem is that the experiment never ended, and so we're still using the experimental internet which only has 4.3 billion terminations built into its design. So in 1996 in a great panic, we developed, and here "we" in this case is not Bob (Kahn) and me but rather the IETF, developed an alternative packet format called IPv6. It has 128 bits of address space and if you do the math that's 3.4*10^38 addresses. This is a number only the (?) can appreciate. We are now in the process of introducing in parallel with IPv4 the IPv6 formats. So on june 8th last year (2011), many of us in the internet community turned on the IPv6 capabilities that we had in addition to IPv4. On june 6th this year, all of us are going to turn on IPv6 and leave it on. So this is a very important year for the internet because IPv6 will be launched on june 6th. Google and many other have been preparing for this for several years and we're all looking forward to seeing what happens when we turn it on and leave it on permanently.

On a more practical note: bcause of IPv6 much larger address space, addresses are much cheaper, and typical home internet connections are intended to provide many - enough to give each household device its own public address (though firewalled) without needing atrocities like NAT (creating a separate independent local network, and translate addresses between them) and UPnP to overcome it.

Off topic : Gavin Andresen also describes bitcoin as "an experiment"

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 12:12:56 PM

My ISP doesn't even know what IPv6 is  Undecided

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 12:29:18 PM

So all there's no need for local networks anymore, is that the idea, every device having an IPv6 address? If I got this right, what does it mean for security?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 12:43:02 PM

So all there's no need for local networks anymore, is that the idea, every device having an IPv6 address? If I got this right, what does it mean for security?
1. NAT is not a firewall
2. You can have local IPv6 addresses if you really want to

Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 04:16:17 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2012, 04:26:56 PM by Icoin

http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/2416/cyber-crime/ddos-ipv6-is-an-excuse-to-talk-about.html

At least it means all anonymity will be gone, as i see it; every user will become his own unique IPv6 Adress what makes it then for each node quite easyly to be identified.

Im not sure if IPv6 does realy make sense for the bitcoin project..
In my oppinion we should wait with IPv6

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 08:56:33 PM

Where is the best place to report compile errors?
nybble41

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 10:53:04 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2012, 05:37:52 PM by nybble41

http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/2416/cyber-crime/ddos-ipv6-is-an-excuse-to-talk-about.html

At least it means all anonymity will be gone, as i see it; every user will become his own unique IPv6 Adress what makes it then for each node quite easyly to be identified.

Im not sure if IPv6 does realy make sense for the bitcoin project..
In my oppinion we should wait with IPv6
A static IPv6 subnet with privacy extensions enabled is no worse than a static IPv4 address and NAT. Dynamic IPv4 addresses don't offer all that much protection if someone really wants to find out who you are; the ISP can always look up who was assigned that address at the time.

For anything more than superficial anonymity, you need onion routing, al la Tor or I2P, to disguise the sources of your connections among a pool of other addresses with multiple independent levels of indirection.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: