Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:04:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: You, yes you, are part of the problem.  (Read 2849 times)
CryptoCarmen

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 11:59:51 AM

Now that we can seamlessly convert dollars to bitcoin from most bank accounts and we can spend most everywhere with gyft or bitcoin directly, there is no excuse not to convert your monthly discretionary income into Bitcoin.

To complain about the price and not be moving your spending to bitcoin simply means you have bought into something that you yourself do not understand or support.

problem would be solved if bitcoin goes to price $1 and top1000 bitcoin owners sell 90% of their stash then.  So bitcoin really seriously spread.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 12:13:06 PM

"Stephen Cotton attempted to withdraw £7,000, a little over $11,500, from his HSBC account in the United Kingdom. Speaking on the BBC Radio 4 program Money Box, he recounted how staff at the branch refused to allow him to withdraw the money without an explanation of why he needed it, in addition to proof. In this case, Mr. Cotton intended to repay a loan from his mother. The bank demanded he produce a letter from her, verifying this. Cotton then found himself in the position of haggling with staff over how much he could actually withdraw; finally, he was allowed to take out £3,000."
Read more at http://guardianlv.com/2014/01/money-in-the-bank-no-longer-belongs-to-you/#EPv8dG31Qaff16M9.99

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 12:49:07 PM

DieJohnny is right, if all 10 of you that are reading this thread would start to just.... oh wait
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 02:00:57 PM

the moment my supermarket and landlord accept btc i will begin doing this, i dont spend money anywhere else

The one good thing about the falling bitcoin price is that it will encourage people to spend it.  Previously when people were watching the price rocket upwards in a seemingly one way trend it was silly to spend bitcoins unless you absolutely had to.
you have this the wrong way around, someone who bought btc for 1100 still sees it as being worth that in his mind and is never going to part with it for 300

What's going on in the trader's mind is irrelevant.  His or her bitcoins are worth only what the market will pay for them today.

When I went to apply for a mortgage the bank wanted to know how much my share portfolio is worth today.  They didn't want to know that some of the shares were worth 20% more 2 years ago.  That was irrelevant to the actual value today.

The trader who bought for $1100 would be quite happy to part with their bitcoins for $300 if the price continues to fall below $300 and doesn't recover.  As the saying goes, everyone has a price.
Roy Badami

Activity: 563
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 07:46:23 PM

[...] there is no excuse not to convert your monthly discretionary income into Bitcoin.

Discretionary income?  If you have discretionary income it means your electricity bill is too low - solution: you need to be running more miners Smiley
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 08:22:35 PM

"Stephen Cotton attempted to withdraw £7,000, a little over $11,500, from his HSBC account in the United Kingdom. Speaking on the BBC Radio 4 program Money Box, he recounted how staff at the branch refused to allow him to withdraw the money without an explanation of why he needed it, in addition to proof. In this case, Mr. Cotton intended to repay a loan from his mother. The bank demanded he produce a letter from her, verifying this. Cotton then found himself in the position of haggling with staff over how much he could actually withdraw; finally, he was allowed to take out £3,000."
Read more at http://guardianlv.com/2014/01/money-in-the-bank-no-longer-belongs-to-you/#EPv8dG31Qaff16M9.99

Don't look at this too much as a debt conspiracy.  The truth is that withdrawing cash is pretty much irreversible just like bitcoin.  So it suffers from the same "impedence mismatch" as CC to BTC conversions (for example).  Here's a scam I heard about from a banker when opening a checking account:  The perp digs thru trash for a bank statement.  Then gets a good fake drivers' license made up.  Showed up in person and used it to change all the account details, PIN, etc.  Go to ATMs, etc and withdraw maximum daily cash for weeks until the account owner notices.  Rinse and repeat.  This happened in NYC so there was essentially an infinite # of ATMs to withdraw from.  The only downside is of course his face on all the banks and ATM cameras...

sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:47:24 PM

the moment my supermarket and landlord accept btc i will begin doing this, i dont spend money anywhere else

The one good thing about the falling bitcoin price is that it will encourage people to spend it.  Previously when people were watching the price rocket upwards in a seemingly one way trend it was silly to spend bitcoins unless you absolutely had to.
you have this the wrong way around, someone who bought btc for 1100 still sees it as being worth that in his mind and is never going to part with it for 300

What's going on in the trader's mind is irrelevant.  His or her bitcoins are worth only what the market will pay for them today.

When I went to apply for a mortgage the bank wanted to know how much my share portfolio is worth today.  They didn't want to know that some of the shares were worth 20% more 2 years ago.  That was irrelevant to the actual value today.

The trader who bought for $1100 would be quite happy to part with their bitcoins for $300 if the price continues to fall below $300 and doesn't recover.  As the saying goes, everyone has a price.

You know I watched this exact line of reasoning take place in someone I know well.

They bought 1 BTC last year in run up at about $200 and got super excited as they watched it rise... I warned them, it will go up for so long, but be prepared for when it comes down. Oh yeah, don't worry I'm in it for the long haul they said. I said just imagine that you have already lost the money, write it off and sit tight. Don't worry they said.

Then the top was in, the price wavered, and dipped. They worried, I reminded them that I said this would happen. They worried.

Then we bounced, back up we started to go towards ~$600 again They then told me I'm just waiting for it to hit ~$1600 (that was 1000gbp) then I think I'll sell. I sighed.

Then they watched it slide for months on end... until eventually, about a fortnight ago, they said £200 and its yours (at the time it was worth about £240). I said "are you serious!?" of course I'll buy it off you!!!

Then *they* asked me if *I* was serious!? Well at this point I was just lost, what on earth is going through their mind?? Then I thought about the classic cycle of greed and fear, and realised that was exactly what I was looking at here. The fear had overcome all rational thought, nothing about the BTC long term binary bet value proposition had changed, if anything the odds were improving all the time.

Their rationale was they had held it for a year and made £80. A 60% rise is not to be sniffed at, they locked in gains. Again, a great strategy. They walked away from the trade 'not holding the bag'. All very admirable.

Except all of that is what you say after you have somehow thrown out every single shred of what you believed when you first entered the trade. Right at the start £120 was an insignificant amount, an amount you were happy to risk on a potentially once in a lifetime opportunity to be in at the start of something big. When it all looks rosy. 12 months later though, your are justifying throwing all that away because you can lock in £80 of profit.

So yes, I agree that there are plenty of people out there that think there bitcoin is worth what the market will pay for them today. That have totally lost sight of the fact that investment is thinking about what something will be worth in 10 or 20 years time.

More fool them.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 11:03:56 PM

Now that we can seamlessly convert dollars to bitcoin from most bank accounts and we can spend most everywhere with gyft or bitcoin directly, there is no excuse not to convert your monthly discretionary income into Bitcoin.
Don't be silly. Most places DON'T accept bitcoin.
I would disagree. There are a very large number of merchants that either directly, or indirectly accept bitcoi payments. Many places that accept bitcoin indirectly do so via gyft. I would say that, based on total transaction volume of then merchants, you can spend bitcoin at majority of places

So let's see now....

Mortgage/rent. NO
Council tax. NO
Weekly food shop. NO
Electricity. NO
Water. NO
Gas. NO
Car fuel. NO
Car parts/repairs. NO
Various insurances. NO
Phone/internet. NO
Local pub for drink. NO
99.99% of friends, in private transactions. NO

Tell me again why I would want to convert all my wages to bitcoin?

so the price goes up

i am here.
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 07:21:52 AM

[...] there is no excuse not to convert your monthly discretionary income into Bitcoin.

Discretionary income?  If you have discretionary income it means your electricity bill is too low - solution: you need to be running more miners Smiley

My favorite reply by far ! Smiley + 1

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
efreeti

Activity: 350
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 07:32:11 AM

To complain about the price and not be moving your spending to bitcoin simply means you have bought into something that you yourself do not understand or support.

Most people here are just gamblers. Either betting on the upside or the downside.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: