Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:21:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The problem with bitcoin is buying bitcoin  (Read 5406 times)
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:11:46 AM

When you are registered on an exchange it is cheap and easy to buy; you can buy easily in a Bitcoin ATM too but the fees are high.
SamTsuedo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:22:08 PM

I think there is something to this.  Buying really isn't that easy, if it was, we wouldn't see people asking for paypal to bitcoin deals all the time.  You can buy most everything else with paypal, so why I don't think it is the final arbiter of what counts as "easy to buy", heck I hate paypal, I do think it provides a useful basis for comparison.

You still can't buy anything from Amazon with paypal while you still have some chance to buy bitcoin with paypal if you try harder so I gues  buying bitcoin is easier now.
doubleredrolex

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

I Believe

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:06:47 PM

When you are registered on an exchange it is cheap and easy to buy; you can buy easily in a Bitcoin ATM too but the fees are high.

The closest Bitcoin ATM to me is about a 5 hour drive away... My funds finally just transferred from my bank today. Took 7 days. Now the price of BTC is up almost $80 from when i started the transfer. Not happy about that.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 01:28:14 PM

If you live in the US, Coinbase is super easy.

My 74 year old mother was able to buy bitcoins through them using her phone.

This is true, but I would like a second coinbase type company for the USA.

Circle!
Circle is still very new and have not proven themselves to be trustworthy yet, not have they proven that they can both properly secure their bitcoin and their customer information

Wouldn't any other solution that came in today have the same problem?

Waramp22

Activity: 321

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 05:18:32 PM

I am from Canada and have yet to find a method to buy bitcoin.

cavirtex - pain in the ass. sent them my id front and back, copy of bills proving my address, linked my bank account. e-Interac is advertised on their website but does not work, when i attempted this it said that my account was not "Stage 3 Verified" They need me to submit a per-authorized debit form for my linked bank account. Fuck that.

circle - not available to Canadians.

localbitcoin - nobody in my small town is selling bitcoin. Even if i drove an hour to the closest major city, the prices are very steep.

bitvary - Tried $100 worth as a test but haven't received bitcoin. Will use paypal to dispute purchase shortly.

In the end, why would any Canadian want to use bitcoin if:

1 - Its is a huge pain in the ass to purchase them.
2 - Purchasing any large amount is a major risk.
3 - You lose 15% of their money in the initial purchase due to the markup the seller is charging.

Scammed by Black Arrow? See the consumer complaint thread here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681965.0
M8

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 05:26:37 PM

I don't think bitcoin is that hard to buy, but obviously you've got to put a tiny bit of effort in to find it, but more easier options are becoming available all the time.
Anycoin Direct

Activity: 39

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 05:31:35 PM

People based in Europe can use our service, https://anycoindirect.eu/

Anycoin Direct allows its users to buy and sell cryptocurrencies using direct online payment methods (iDEAL, Bancontact, Giropay and Mybank) or SEPA bank transfers.

Our main focus lies on speed and ease of use. As soon as we receive a successful payment, the coins will automatically be sent to the customer’s wallet. In case of a SEPA order, the coins will be sent once your transfer has reached our bank account. The price of a SEPA order gets determined at the moment the order is initiated. Using our services, people can buy and receive cryptocurrency within 5 minutes. 
iwillwin

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 07:55:08 PM

Bitcoin is way too inaccessible for the common folks right now ! Also it is way too complicated. I don't know how will the process be simplified !
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 08:51:16 PM

In the end, why would any Canadian want to use bitcoin if:

1 - Its is a huge pain in the ass to purchase them.
2 - Purchasing any large amount is a major risk.
3 - You lose 15% of their money in the initial purchase due to the markup the seller is charging.

This is a good summary and applies to most places.  In the US Coinbase is good (but problematic) and Circle is promising, but anyone who assumes this issue away is engaging in massive self deception.

Sam: I didn't understand the point about Amazon and paypal, I don't think the argument that a merchant does not take paypal gets you far, since a lot more merchants in addition to Amazon don't take bitcoin.
KarstenNilsen

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 11:53:42 AM

Does the credit card service of Circle work in Canada?
Unbelive

Activity: 210

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 12:47:48 PM

If bitcoin is ever to become mainstream then it needs to sort out its achilles heel. That is buying bitcoin in the first place. The process should be so easy that even your gran can do it.
Unfortunately at the moment its way to complicated.

People won't buy bitcoin if they don't understand how to and if none buys bitcoin no one will spend bitcoin except geeks and criminals.

Things changed a lot in last 2 years. imagine what will happen 2 years from now.

Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 02:55:18 PM

but anyone who assumes this issue away is engaging in massive self deception.

Meanwhile, people who raise the issue but expect other people to do something about it aren't really contributing!

We don't have a shortage of issue-identifiers; we have a shortage of problem solvers.

Contribute to solving the problem and you can likely make a bundle of wealth for your contribution.

Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 04:43:44 PM

but anyone who assumes this issue away is engaging in massive self deception.

Meanwhile, people who raise the issue but expect other people to do something about it aren't really contributing!

We don't have a shortage of issue-identifiers; we have a shortage of problem solvers.

Contribute to solving the problem and you can likely make a bundle of wealth for your contribution.

I was with you until you said that last part.

What I'm saying is that anybody who thinks they know how to make it easier to buy Bitcoin can probably earn some money by selling Bitcoin in this hypothetical easy-to-buy manner.  After all, if they improve convenience over the existing offerings, it should be easy for them to win customers over from the competition.

What I'm point out is that it's not nearly so easy as people think it is.

DynamicDK

Activity: 160

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 04:53:31 PM

Trucoin.com

It isn't ready yet, but once it is, it will make the buying process much, much easier.

http://coinbrief.net/
Digital Currency news, mining calculators, forums, and more
BTC:  1Bz95D1Jm4qmm2fTWtK3fF35FnfX4NKiyt
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 05:22:07 PM

If bitcoin is ever to become mainstream then it needs to sort out its achilles heel. That is buying bitcoin in the first place. The process should be so easy that even your gran can do it.
Unfortunately at the moment its way to complicated.

People won't buy bitcoin if they don't understand how to and if none buys bitcoin no one will spend bitcoin except geeks and criminals.

1. Get a reputed seller at Local Bitcoins.

2. Pay him and provide your address.

3. Bitcoin is in your account.

It seems simpler than buying a pen drive in Amazon. Which part of the Bitcoin buying seems complicated to U ?

p.s. Some new websites are offering Bitcoin against credit card. Avoid them at any means. They're gonna complicate your life.

And once the average person goes throught that... what does this average person can do with Bitcoin besides holding it and hope price increases? What can he buy that he cannot but with fiat? Exactly, nothing. Thats why I don't see Bitcoin a currency ever, when fiat does the same thing. I do see it as a place to store wealth, thats that. But who owns stocks/gold? not the 99%.
Ozymandias The Third

Activity: 55

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 05:31:36 PM

I'm certain that it will be resolved in time.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 06:01:30 PM

It is not as easy as it sounds. Depositing fiat to any of these exchanges is tedious and takes a lot of time. Options such as SEPA and Wire are available, but sometimes it can take as much as 2-3 months for the funds to be deposited in your account.
Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 06:12:07 PM

The Bitcoin economy is very much like a new country.

When you visit a foreign country you have to exchange your money if you want to spend.  Depending on where you are going, that might be easier or harder.

As time goes by, people will figure out ways to better serve the market for those who need their money exchanged going into this country.  Those people who serve that market better will be rewarded.

vabtc

Activity: 55
Merit: 4

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 06:12:12 PM

It is not as easy as it sounds. Depositing fiat to any of these exchanges is tedious and takes a lot of time. Options such as SEPA and Wire are available, but sometimes it can take as much as 2-3 months for the funds to be deposited in your account.

I guess it depends.  I can get fiat to exchanges in under 48 hours. USA->bitstamp.  $50 fee tho...
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 06:53:31 PM

This thread is epic fail. It was hard to buy BTC in 2011. If it wasn't I'd be kicking it in the Caribbean. <--- That's in honour of the 20th anniversary of Pulp Fiction. 

It's really easy to buy BTC now. So buy it and stop complaining.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: