Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:05:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Eliminating the one-line "subscribe" posts.  (Read 4343 times)
lulzplzkthx

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2012, 02:23:09 AM

Since the new forum software will never actually get written (or be usable if someone attempts it) can we please get some real forum software working for this place until this hypothetical software is written?  It's been months since the project was "started" and there's been no movement.  It will be years more before there is anything even vaguely usable, if ever... so in the interim, I propose moving to modern, secure (at least more secure, anyway), feature rich forum software. 

You can take your pick, since literally any forum software is an improvement over SMF.
Now THERE'S something to +1!

My personal recommendation is xenForo, but I'm partial to modern-looking websites.

I was just going to suggest xenForo. It's a terrific forum software.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 02:29:47 AM

Since the new forum software will never actually get written (or be usable if someone attempts it) can we please get some real forum software working for this place until this hypothetical software is written?  It's been months since the project was "started" and there's been no movement.  It will be years more before there is anything even vaguely usable, if ever... so in the interim, I propose moving to modern, secure (at least more secure, anyway), feature rich forum software. 

You can take your pick, since literally any forum software is an improvement over SMF.

My personal recommendation is xenForo, but I'm partial to modern-looking websites.

Could you give an example of an existing forum that uses it so that I can go check it out?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 06:41:38 AM

Could you give an example of an existing forum that uses it so that I can go check it out?
www.minecraftcc.com
bitcoinforums.net (though it is currently down while the new site owner works things out on his end)
Or, just www.xenforo.com itself.  You can even get a 3-day "demo" forum setup with one click to give it a try, including all administrative functionality.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 01:33:20 PM

www.minecraftcc.com
bitcoinforums.net (though it is currently down while the new site owner works things out on his end)
Or, just www.xenforo.com itself.  You can even get a 3-day "demo" forum setup with one click to give it a try, including all administrative functionality.
I went and had a look at xenForo's own forums, and after a bit of navigation I came to the conclusion that it is a bit.... busy, really. There is some neat functionality, but I guess I'm used to SMF and its stripped-down nature.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
lulzplzkthx

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2012, 06:13:21 PM

The stripped-down nature is a bit of the problem. But aye, like SgtSpike, I really prefer modern sites, and despise SMF for this reason.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2012, 06:40:58 PM

Suggestion. As a compromise between contributing and writing 'sub', write one word about how you feel about the thread. Interested, concerned, afraid, excited, happy, rockhard, flaccid, etc.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12873

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 07:54:24 PM

Suggestion. As a compromise between contributing and writing 'sub', write one word about how you feel about the thread. Interested, concerned, afraid, excited, happy, rockhard, flaccid, etc.

I'd prefer just "sub", actually. These posts are easier to ignore.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

I'd prefer just "sub", actually. These posts are easier to ignore.

Hmm, ok, I was looking forward to writing "flaccid" and "rockhard" but I'll refrain.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 05:54:25 PM

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=350

Maybe this link will help things along...
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 05:57:15 PM

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=350

Maybe this link will help things along...
I seem to recall theymos stating that he has investigated numerous plugins that didn't meet the technical or security requirements, and since this one was written in 2006 I'm guessing it has been seen. But if it works, lets use it!

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 09:34:37 PM

Ignore
ludo0777

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 03:32:53 PM

Are people really that lazy? They can't be bothered to change their notification settings so they just post "subscribed" everywhere. It does get kinda annoying...  Undecided
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 04:01:08 PM

Are people really that lazy? They can't be bothered to change their notification settings so they just post "subscribed" everywhere. It does get kinda annoying...  Undecided

You are new here.. yet have posted 10 message in meta alone in the last hour :/

What is going on?

Was asking myself the exact same question.
Post count raise probably is the answer.
19 posts since this morning, most of them just fluff lol

EDIT: Found the answer https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86513.msg951345#msg951345
oh, mega LOL
ludo0777

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 04:42:37 PM

What is going on?

EDIT: Found the answer https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86513.msg951345#msg951345
oh, mega LOL

Lol what is wrong with posting? I am always active in forums.
ludo0777

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 05:38:05 PM

What is going on?

oh, mega LOL

Lol what is wrong with posting? I am always active in forums.

If you are on topic (and we are not!!!) and not scamming then there is nothing wrong at all.

Well then good. What do you think about one line subscribe posts?
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 05:45:12 PM

Are people really that lazy? They can't be bothered to change their notification settings so they just post "subscribed" everywhere. It does get kinda annoying...  Undecided

You missed the entire point, there is no "setting" to change to accomplish the same thing that posting in a thread does. They want it to be added to a watchlist like "Show new replies to your posts", notifications only send you emails which is largely useless.

This has been covered a couple times in this thread already, but guess you're too busy posting in threads to read them.

Even says it in the OP
It seems that people use these "subscribe" one-liners rather than click notify because threads flagged via the latter mechanism don't show up under "Show new replies to your post."

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: