Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:44:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Eliminating the one-line "subscribe" posts.  (Read 4343 times)
fgmnp (OP)
Donator

Activity: 29
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 05:55:42 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2019, 07:20:39 AM by deego

d
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 05:59:45 AM

It seems that people use these "subscribe" one-liners rather than click notify because threads flagged via the latter mechanism don't show up under "Show new replies to your post."

There should be a rather simple solution to this: Simply that threads marked as 'notify' begin showing up under 'show new replies' as well. (the label for which could then be changed to the more inclusive "Show notified posts.")

but notify also send you emails.

writing 'subbed' doesn't subscribe you to emails.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 06:15:30 AM

Ya, since work has not yet begun on this forum software's successor,  I too would like to see a couple of the most painful issues resolved in the software currently used.

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50617.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 06:20:07 AM

Subbed.

Also, is it REALLY that hard to scroll past the "Subbed" comments?  It takes a fraction of a second, really...
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 06:26:39 AM

Also, is it REALLY that hard to scroll past the "Subbed" comments?  It takes a fraction of a second, really...

The 'sub' band-aid doesn't scale. The forum is growing.

Ok, I agree.  It would be nice to be able to subscribe to threads without writing in them.
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 07:03:33 AM

As somebody who reads the forum using the RSS feed, it's really annoying to see a notification there are new messages and a bunch of them are "I'm too lazy to press the notify button"

I consider those messages polution that makes the forum less readable
payb.tc

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 10:12:58 AM

but notify also send you emails.

writing 'subbed' doesn't subscribe you to emails.

The latter is an option. Just tweak your userprefs if you desire that.

i'm skeptical... can you tell me which checkbox exactly achieves this?
Blazr

Activity: 882

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 02:26:14 PM

Sub.

Tongue

This is something we need. It should only take a few minutes to make "notified" threads appear in "Show new replies to your posts"

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12899

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 03:23:05 PM

Those are annoying. I've looked into creating a "watchlist" feature in SMF, but it seems very difficult (which is probably why there are no modifications that do that already).

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12899

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 03:45:43 PM

Theymos, OTOH, to quote Blazr, "It should only take a few minutes to make "notified" threads appear in "Show new replies to your posts""

He's welcome to write the code, then.

You also need to be able to remove topics from unreadreplies for it to be usable as a watchlist.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
payb.tc

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 09:22:33 PM

i'm skeptical... can you tell me which checkbox exactly achieves this?

"Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic."

nope, that does not help you subscribe without posting 'subbed'.
payb.tc

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 09:39:02 PM

nope, that does not help you subscribe without posting 'subbed'.

You had said: "writing 'subbed' doesn't subscribe you to emails."
I said, But it can, if you tweak your options.

That is, after that, writing sub *does* subscribe you to emails.

In case we are confused, let's repeat: "Posting sub subscribes you to emails, and I showed you how."

So, I don't understand your new objection: "that does not help you subscribe without posting 'subbed'."

Wink

okay mis-understanding... what people posting 'subbed' really want to achieve, is being notified of new replies without getting emails.

you can't do that any other way.
bitfoo
Donator

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 05:36:21 AM

What people could do is click notify, and then filter out all the email notifications to /dev/null.

Maybe I misunderstood, I guess "notify" still doesn't get the topic to show up on the watch-list?

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 05:39:15 AM

What people could do is click notify, and then filter out all the email notifications to /dev/null.

Maybe I misunderstood, I guess "notify" still doesn't get the topic to show up on the watch-list?
Right - it just spams your email account.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 06:28:59 AM

subbed

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 03:46:52 PM

Yeah notifications are worthless, I'm not gonna check my email to see if there are replies to threads I like to read. Needs to be a subscribe button next to the notify button, that will add it to a watchlist below the other two.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 05:55:57 PM

+1

This. ^^
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 06:00:51 PM

Since the new forum software will never actually get written (or be usable if someone attempts it) can we please get some real forum software working for this place until this hypothetical software is written?  It's been months since the project was "started" and there's been no movement.  It will be years more before there is anything even vaguely usable, if ever... so in the interim, I propose moving to modern, secure (at least more secure, anyway), feature rich forum software. 

You can take your pick, since literally any forum software is an improvement over SMF.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 06:07:29 PM

Since the new forum software will never actually get written (or be usable if someone attempts it) can we please get some real forum software working for this place until this hypothetical software is written?  It's been months since the project was "started" and there's been no movement.  It will be years more before there is anything even vaguely usable, if ever... so in the interim, I propose moving to modern, secure (at least more secure, anyway), feature rich forum software. 

You can take your pick, since literally any forum software is an improvement over SMF.
Now THERE'S something to +1!

My personal recommendation is xenForo, but I'm partial to modern-looking websites.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 06:27:51 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2012, 02:40:32 AM by elux

Since the new forum software will never actually get written (or be usable if someone attempts it) can we please get some real forum software working for this place until this hypothetical software is written?

The specification in "Looking for someone to create/modify software for this forum [2200+ BTC]" could use a rewrite,
with the words "shall", "will", and "must" used more sparingly. Make the $10000 bounty known outside this forum. HN? /r/programming?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: