Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:17:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvidia + ATI?  (Read 4799 times)
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 01:30:41 AM

Hello, sorry if this is a noobish question, I looked around and didn't find much of a definitive answer for this:

Here is the lowdown... Back in Nov. 2011, I decided to build a gaming computer. Soon after, I got into bitcoin mining, and have mined a bit with my 560 Ti that I bought. Here are my complete system specs:

Intel i5-2500k
Asus P8-Z68 v-Pro MOBO
8 GB RAM
Asus 21" monitor
NVidia GTX 560 Ti

I, just a few minutes ago, bought an ATI Radeon 5970 HD on ebay (for around $375, seemed like a good price).

I have a few questions revolving around this:
1.) Can I have both a NVidia card and an ATI card installed with NVidia drivers and ATI drivers running at the same time?
2.) Can I use both cards for mining at the same time? (if 1 is yes, I'd image yes for 2?)
3.) Can I run my 5970 mining and game on my 560 Ti (1) is it possible (2) would it be laggy?
4.) Anything else I need to be aware of for this kind of setup?

Thank you guys so much Smiley

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 01:44:03 AM

Hello, sorry if this is a noobish question, I looked around and didn't find much of a definitive answer for this:

Here is the lowdown... Back in Nov. 2011, I decided to build a gaming computer. Soon after, I got into bitcoin mining, and have mined a bit with my 560 Ti that I bought. Here are my complete system specs:

Intel i5-2500k
Asus P8-Z68 v-Pro MOBO
8 GB RAM
Asus 21" monitor
NVidia GTX 560 Ti

I, just a few minutes ago, bought an ATI Radeon 5970 HD on ebay (for around $375, seemed like a good price).

I have a few questions revolving around this:
1.) Can I have both a NVidia card and an ATI card installed with NVidia drivers and ATI drivers running at the same time?
2.) Can I use both cards for mining at the same time? (if 1 is yes, I'd image yes for 2?)
3.) Can I run my 5970 mining and game on my 560 Ti (1) is it possible (2) would it be laggy?
4.) Anything else I need to be aware of for this kind of setup?

Thank you guys so much Smiley

Hey.  I can speculate based on my knowledge of windows, but I haven't tried first hand.  I boycott nvidia because of a stunt they pulled years ago when Vista came out, and I haven't gotten over it yet.

1 - Should able to use both without a problem.
2 - Probably.  You won't want to bother with the 560 though once you see what the 5970 does for you. Smiley
3 - I would think this would be the ideal use of your nvidia card.
4 - Make sure you have the power supply for it.  The 5970 is a beast of a card and is power hungry.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 02:00:42 AM

Hey.  I can speculate based on my knowledge of windows, but I haven't tried first hand.  I boycott nvidia because of a stunt they pulled years ago when Vista came out, and I haven't gotten over it yet.

1 - Should able to use both without a problem.
2 - Probably.  You won't want to bother with the 560 though once you see what the 5970 does for you. Smiley
3 - I would think this would be the ideal use of your nvidia card.
4 - Make sure you have the power supply for it.  The 5970 is a beast of a card and is power hungry.

M

Thank you! About the power supply: I never even thought about that... I have an 850W, do you think that will cover it? If not, do you think taking out the 560 Ti will cover it? If the 2nd option does I would just sell my 560 Ti, no biggie.

About #2: Yeah, figured the 5970's going to be amazing at mining, but ehh, Got my 560 TI to run at 105 MH/s, suppose every bit (no pun intended) counts.

mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 11:24:42 AM

Thank you! About the power supply: I never even thought about that... I have an 850W, do you think that will cover it? If not, do you think taking out the 560 Ti will cover it? If the 2nd option does I would just sell my 560 Ti, no biggie.

About #2: Yeah, figured the 5970's going to be amazing at mining, but ehh, Got my 560 TI to run at 105 MH/s, suppose every bit (no pun intended) counts.

I'm not at all familiar with gforce cards and their power requirements.  850 sounds like it'll work to me though, depending on the quality of your power supply.  You'll find out when you crank both up. Smiley

I tried running a 6870 and a 5870 on a 600w and got an instant power off.  I was told 600w is plenty for those two cards, if you have a good power supply, which I know I didn't.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 12:36:38 PM

Thanks! Mine is a Seasonic, well I suppose I'll find out in a week lol.

n4l3hp

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 01:25:16 PM

1) Yes, I tried it on WinXP/Win7 32/64.
2) Yes, you have to use optimized miner for each card (ie. ufasoft for nvidia, cgminer for ati). But better to let the nividia card idle when you're not gaming if you don't have free electricity.
3) Yes, I tried this on a motherboard with an nvidia 8200 IGP. Played online games on the IGP and mined on the 6870 at the same time.
4) If you use CGMiner with intensity above 8, mouse movement might be laggy and game loading time might increase. (Its possible that you might not encounter these problem because you are using a card, not IGP.)
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 08:23:03 PM

That 850watt PSU should be ok for a little while,I ran 2 6970's in xfire on an 800watt Kingwin modular.When gaming my rig (3 HDD's,6 fans & 965 quad core AMD) used 460 watts,BUT when mineing it used 720 watts!!!

It didn't last but 3 months & popped,but it was 2 years & 5 months old too  Sad

I warrantied it with Kingwin (3 year warranty) & they gave me a 1000watt upgrade for free  Cool I highly recommend Kingwin,even though I had one die,I've got 9 others (gamer rigs for others) & 1 more thats my other gaming rig that are still running after 3+ years Grin

Funny thing though,as the 800watt used 720 watts,the 1000watt used only 640 watts while mineing.So my efficency went up with the larger PSU. Huh They are of the same model,or "family",just increased to 1000watts.

Seeing as you'll have a 560ti & 5970,if you only mine with the 5970 (its a hungry bugger Cheesy),you should be ok.I have a battery backup I use & it tells me my wattage consumption.

If you wish to mine with both I'd up your PSU to 1000watt,just to be safe & use less wattage Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Jay_Pal
Legendary

Activity: 1493
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 08:31:25 PM

Well, sorry to bother, but I have an Asus M4N78-VM with an embed gForce 8200 and an ATI HD5550.
I'm running Ubuntu and I'd love to use the gForce as my main graphics card, letting the mining to the ATI.
My problem is that I can't have a nice configuration for this.
Can anyone give me some cue?

Thanks in advance.

Best faucet EVER! - Freebitco.in
Don't Panic... - 1G8zjUzeZBfJpeCbz1MLTc6zQHbLm78vKc
Why not mine from the browser?
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 08:58:22 PM

Thanks for the input guys Smiley Yeah, might upgrade to a ~1200W and throw in another 5970, depends on how my mining goes.

ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 04:05:31 AM

Thanks for the input guys Smiley Yeah, might upgrade to a ~1200W and throw in another 5970, depends on how my mining goes.

1200W would be complete overkill. 5 GPU's on full load using stock volts might ask for about 700-850 depending on heat and clocks.

Lem

Activity: 78
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 07:07:02 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2012, 12:07:08 PM by Lem

I answer only for Linux (maybe someone is interested). Yes, if and only if:

a) your first video card (the card in the first slot) is the ATI one;
b) all the monitors you have are attached to the ATI card;
c) you use the Nvidia card only for computing.

Which is completely pointless, if you use the Nvidia card only for mining, because Nvidia cards suck at mining.
If you use it for something else (like some BOINC projects), it should be fine.

See above.

No, you can't.

This is because ATI computing goes through video driver. So Xorg must be loaded and running upon the ATI video driver. On the contrary, Nvidia computing doesn't need <edit> its video driver, so it doesn't need to own </edit> Xorg.
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 11:02:06 AM

No, you can't.

This is because ATI computing goes through video driver. So Xorg must be loaded and running upon the ATI video driver. On the contrary, Nvidia computing doesn't need Xorg.

Damn it !!! So this means that you cannot use Nvidia for monitor / games / desktop usage while ATI is mining only ?

What about Intel integrated GPU in the CPU like Sandy Bridge ? What about ATI integrated graphics ( providing you stay in 8 GPU limit ) ?

Or maybe there is no way to have a crap GPU for desktop usage and all the rest powerful ATI cards mining Huh 
bulanula

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 11:02:52 AM

No, you can't.

This is because ATI computing goes through video driver. So Xorg must be loaded and running upon the ATI video driver. On the contrary, Nvidia computing doesn't need Xorg.

Damn it !!! So this means that you cannot use Nvidia for monitor / games / desktop usage while ATI is mining only ?

What about Intel integrated GPU in the CPU like Sandy Bridge ? What about ATI integrated graphics ( providing you stay in 8 GPU limit ) ?

Or maybe there is no way to have a crap GPU for desktop usage and all the rest powerful ATI cards mining Huh  
bulanula

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 11:06:02 AM

Sorry for double post but Internet is lagging.

I can't delete double post so maybe moderator can do it ?

Thank you !

Which can work :

-Intel desktop usage ( crap GPU in CPU or mobo ) + excellent non-affected maximum ATI mining
-Nvidia desktop usage + excellent non-affected maximum ATI mining
-ATI crap integrated mobo GPU / GPU in CPU ( APU ) + excellent non-affected maximum ATI mining

Basically I want to have full ATI performance and no laggy desktop without affecting mining performance at all.

I want independent mining and desktop usage. One does not affect the other. Which Linux drivers is this possible with Huh
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2012, 12:09:20 PM

Thanks for the input again guys, so Lem do you think it would work best if I just sold the 560 Ti? Maybe I could run GPUGrid or something on it lol

Jay_Pal
Legendary

Activity: 1493
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 01:56:24 PM

I answer only for Linux (maybe someone is interested). Yes, if and only if:

a) your first video card (the card in the first slot) is the ATI one;
b) all the monitors you have are attached to the ATI card;
c) you use the Nvidia card only for computing.

Which is completely pointless, if you use the Nvidia card only for mining, because Nvidia cards suck at mining.
If you use it for something else (like some BOINC projects), it should be fine.

See above.

No, you can't.

Thanks Lem, this was exactly what I was looking for.
It is exactly the behavior in my machine - nVidia is still working for the sata, usb and other drivers, but the graphics hardware disappears from lspic, which is now quite understandable with your explanation.
It is a pitty and it sucks... oh well! Moving along, nothing to see! Cheesy

Best faucet EVER! - Freebitco.in
Don't Panic... - 1G8zjUzeZBfJpeCbz1MLTc6zQHbLm78vKc
Why not mine from the browser?
n4l3hp

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 03:11:37 PM

Thank you !

Which can work :

-Intel desktop usage ( crap GPU in CPU or mobo ) + excellent non-affected maximum ATI mining
-ATI crap integrated mobo GPU / GPU in CPU ( APU ) + excellent non-affected maximum ATI mining

Basically I want to have full ATI performance and no laggy desktop without affecting mining performance at all.

I want independent mining and desktop usage. One does not affect the other. Which Linux drivers is this possible with Huh

Switch to Windows and you can do all these.  Smiley
bulanula

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 09:18:32 PM

Thank you !

Which can work :

Switch to Windows and you can do all these.  Smiley

OK but I am forced to use Linux right now.

Which option do you think will be workable with Linux Huh

Thanks !
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 01:03:58 PM

this thread has just cost me 200 bucks... bought an ati 6870 to run in conjunction with my nvidia 560 se. hopefully my 750 watt psu can handle it. if so, i'll finally be profitably mining!

maybe i'll even be able to save enough for a Lancelot fpga before the Great Reward Halving...

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
seljo
Legendary

Activity: 1178
Merit: 1014

Hodling since 2011.®

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 08:50:35 PM

I have 3x5870 mining and GeForce 6600gt to run my winxp desktop so it's not laggy and also I play Quakelive on it while mining 1.2 Gh/s on OCZ 750W PSU. So yes u can run all that at the same time.

Hodling since 2011.®
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: