Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 05:38:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin core (qt) question  (Read 1070 times)
axel2078 (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:35:37 PM

I just installed bitcoin core on my mac a few days ago and it finally finished syncing. I have a question though. Can someone explain the "transanction" fee portion that you can set within the options? I know there is a low default value that is set, but you have the ability to increase the transaction fees. Why would you do this?

BitcoinExchangeIndia.com

Activity: 311
Merit: 264

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:38:52 PM

I just installed bitcoin core on my mac a few days ago and it finally finished syncing. I have a question though. Can someone explain the "transanction" fee portion that you can set within the options? I know there is a low default value that is set, but you have the ability to increase the transaction fees. Why would you do this?

Standard Tx fee at the moment is 0.0001BTC. There is a provision to modify it because higher tx fee will ensure quicker inclusion of your Tx in a block. On the other side, u may not give any Tx fee at all, but that will risk the confirmation time of your Tx. So it is recommended to carry the standard.

SirLolicon

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Sound Engineer for Hire

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:42:36 PM

Standard Tx fee at the moment is 0.0001BTC. There is a provision to modify it because higher tx fee will ensure quicker inclusion of your Tx in a block. On the other side, u may not give any Tx fee at all, but that will risk the confirmation time of your Tx. So it is recommended to carry the standard.

This, and sometimes if the amount is too low and without a transaction fee, it may not be confirmed at all

axel2078 (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:47:48 PM

Thank you very much for the info. I see that right now 0.0001 BTC translates into roughly $0.0364 USD. Is there a recommended minimum transaction fee to ensure quicker inclusion of your transaction in a block? Would 0.0008252 BTC ($0.30 USD) be sufficient?

BitcoinExchangeIndia.com

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:51:55 PM

Thank you very much for the info. I see that right now 0.0001 BTC translates into roughly $0.0364 USD. Is there a recommended minimum transaction fee to ensure quicker inclusion of your transaction in a block? Would 0.0008252 BTC ($0.30 USD) be sufficient?

0.0008252 BTC is more than sufficient in my opinion.

axel2078 (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:00:25 PM

Thanks again. I'm not yet familiar with the bitcoin-qt client because it just now finished syncing. Can you buy bitcoins using the client, or do you still have to go through an exchange?

BitcoinExchangeIndia.com

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:25:45 PM

Thanks again. I'm not yet familiar with the bitcoin-qt client because it just now finished syncing. Can you buy bitcoins using the client, or do you still have to go through an exchange?

No, you cant buy bitcoin within bitcoin-QT. U can use it to accept bitcoins bought from an exchange.

axel2078 (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:27:18 PM

No, you cant buy bitcoin within bitcoin-QT. U can use it to accept bitcoins bought from an exchange.

Gotcha. Thanks again!

axel2078 (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:33:53 PM

One more question. Is bitcoin-qt just another bitcoin wallet, or does the client also make your computer a node on the Bitcoin network, thus offering your computing power and memory as peer-to-peer resources for the network and extending its backbone?

SirLolicon

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Sound Engineer for Hire

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:38:16 PM

One more question. Is bitcoin-qt just another bitcoin wallet, or does the client also make your computer a node on the Bitcoin network, thus offering your computing power and memory as peer-to-peer resources for the network and extending its backbone?

Bitcoin-QT is a wallet, a very secure wallet. It downloads the entire blockchain has a stronger backbone compared to other wallets.
It is not a node though.

Pony789

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:51:31 PM

Bitcoin-QT is a wallet, a very secure wallet. It downloads the entire blockchain has a stronger backbone compared to other wallets.
It is not a node though.

If you want to run a full node, just run bitcoin-qt and forward port 8333 on your machine. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128122.0
The CPU usage and RAM usage would be pretty low, but then you should notice a big jump in your bandwidth usage. Smiley

micheline

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 06:48:08 PM

If you want to run a full node, just run bitcoin-qt and forward port 8333 on your machine. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128122.0
The CPU usage and RAM usage would be pretty low, but then you should notice a big jump in your bandwidth usage. Smiley

CPU usage is substantial on my laptop during synchronization and on incoming transactions. Of course it's an older model.

If you want to help the network the CPU should be able to validate transactions quickly enough.
Salmon1989

Activity: 603
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

CPU usage is substantial on my laptop during synchronization and on incoming transactions. Of course it's an older model.

If you want to help the network the CPU should be able to validate transactions quickly enough.

When you are doing initial sync, your CPU is handling 5 years' tx in a day or two, and so it is normal to have a busy CPU.
But for running a full node, your CPU just need to handle a few tx a second, and so the CPU usage should be lower.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: