Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:20:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: YouTube Video: Bitcoin Mining: Three Months Later  (Read 4842 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2011, 11:48:17 PM

I created a YouTube video to describe my experience with mining as well as buying lots of Bitcoins when they were 80 cents.

Excuse the amateur production and my wobbly hand with the iPhone.  Otherwise, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzBCbO8U45w

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dayofswords

Activity: 138
Merit: 11

Exchange BTC in Telegram https://bit.ly/2MEfiw8

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 12:02:01 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2011, 12:43:27 AM by Dayofswords

I fiddle around since late 2010, i only have 9BTC so far...

Do not have the funds for serious mining...

EDIT:I want your graphics cards lol

BTC Banker - Exchange BTC in Telegram bot https://bit.ly/2MEfiw8
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 12:26:49 AM

Cool man. Thanks for the video  Smiley
nebiz

Activity: 87
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 12:41:27 AM

Great video!  Nice investment!

tips: 1KY4hsybyqpTdxy8nSXh3KUKRi8jeGH8Jx
OVerLoRDI

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 12:41:58 AM

I have very jealous of your electricity rates.

I paid .158 up until may.  Now till October I pay .218

Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 01:12:10 AM

Casascius, you probably account for most of the reason why BTC has rebounded so sharply. First you bought a lot of BTC, then you started mining professionally so that the other single GPU miners and CPU miners couldn't make as much as they used to. This was like a double-whammy to the BTC flow which is why people are willing to pay $8 per coin today.

I'm concerned whether or not you're going to be kicking yourself for not selling BTC sooner if MtGox goes down and the price of BTC crashes.

I can tell you guys this, when the price flows like it has been, there's FAR too much wealth concentrated in one location. If MtGox is physically shut down and raided anyone who has even a penny in there is going to lose it forever. We should watch legislation like hawks for any new bills being signed that might make a raid on the exchange legal, because once it's confiscated, ain't no one going to get it back and the lamentations we hear because of it will ensure NO ONE buys BTC for a very very long time.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 01:34:53 AM

Casascius, you probably account for most of the reason why BTC has rebounded so sharply. First you bought a lot of BTC, then you started mining professionally so that the other single GPU miners and CPU miners couldn't make as much as they used to. This was like a double-whammy to the BTC flow which is why people are willing to pay $8 per coin today.

You make me out to be a far bigger fish in the sea than I am.

When I bought that equipment, I probably constituted about 2-3% of the entire Bitcoin network.  Remember, there are only 144 blocks awarded per day, and if I'm scoring three or four of them a day, well, what percentage is that?  You do the math.  Today, there are still 144 blocks a day, but if I score one every other day, I must be about 0.3% of the network now.

Amazing isn't it?  BTC value is up by a factor of 10, and mining output is down by a factor of 10... meaning mining is just as profitable to start today as it was when I started in February.  I am convinced that this ratio will stay in equilibrium due to the "should I buy or should I mine" thought process.

Certainly, my wind of three or four percent is not responsible for the 1000% growth of Bitcoin over the past three months.

I'm concerned whether or not you're going to be kicking yourself for not selling BTC sooner if MtGox goes down and the price of BTC crashes.

Who says I'm not selling?  I have been selling little bits this whole time.  Look at the OTC board.  Want to buy some?  I am down to about 18,000 BTC.

I can tell you guys this, when the price flows like it has been, there's FAR too much wealth concentrated in one location. If MtGox is physically shut down and raided anyone who has even a penny in there is going to lose it forever.

MtGox is operated from Japan.  What you say could be true about dollars (one could in theory shut down MtGox's bank account and make him dollar insolvent) but not true about Bitcoins (which are stored in the block chain, not in any physical location, and as long as he keeps his wallet file backed up, no "raid" can take it).  If that bothers you, don't keep dollars in MtGox.

We should watch legislation like hawks for any new bills being signed that might make a raid on the exchange legal, because once it's confiscated, ain't no one going to get it back and the lamentations we hear because of it will ensure NO ONE buys BTC for a very very long time.

Look at what happened to Wikileaks.  They tried to shut down wikileaks.org, and 1400 new mirrors popped up overnight.  MtGox doesn't have a monopoly on the Bitcoin trading market, someone could start a viable competitor tomorrow and be in business easily.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
psknives

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 01:41:54 AM

I'm so jealous, if I knew about bitcoins about 1-2 months ago I would have bought $1000 worth of BTC and then I would sell it now... I would be making 7 grand in just 2 months.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 01:45:24 AM

I'm so jealous, if I knew about bitcoins about 1-2 months ago I would have bought $1000 worth of BTC and then I would sell it now... I would be making 7 grand in just 2 months.

But you would have faced the exact same uncertainty and risk as you would if you contemplate buying $1000 worth of BTC today.  The only difference is the location of the decimal point.

It's all too easy to see a roulette wheel stop on red, and say, "I should have bet on red".  Of course that is not how it works.

koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 03:13:49 AM

But you would have faced the exact same uncertainty and risk as you would if you contemplate buying $1000 worth of BTC today.

that is oversimplifying and incorrect, in my opinion

the demand might have come from early adopters.  now that they've gobbled up theirs, will growth stall without another group who are nearly as eager?
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 03:31:31 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2011, 06:12:03 PM by bitcool

To buy or to mine? man, we faced same question, same thought process and came to same decision.

The only difference is you have bigger balls, you did everything on a larger scale. I guess that's true for everything in your neck of the woods.

EDIT: Don't be alarmed, I have your zip code b/c once I was seriously considering buying your mining hard drives. 
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 03:34:10 AM

But you would have faced the exact same uncertainty and risk as you would if you contemplate buying $1000 worth of BTC today.

that is oversimplifying and incorrect, in my opinion

the demand might have come from early adopters.  now that they've gobbled up theirs, will growth stall without another group who are nearly as eager?

... the demand for digital money that is easy, near zero cost, to transfer, limited in issuance and pseudo-anonymous is difficult to estimate.

However, let's just say that there are more than 100,000 people on the planet of 7 billion that might like to use this .... run the numbers, the current exponential growth could go on for a long, long time ... us here now could be considered the "early adopters" after another 18 months of exponential growth ... it's difficult to get your head around the potential size of the shift in wealth/money perceptions that is possible, for anybody.

Life of its own now, enjoy the ride.

EPiSKiNG
Legendary

Activity: 800
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 04:14:19 AM

Awesome video.  What motherboards and PSU are you using for your rigs?

-EP

YOU CAN TRUST ME! EPiSKiNG-'s COINS!! BUYING / SELLING BTC - USA --- View my OTC Trading Feedback!!
<gribble> You are identified as user EPiSKiNG-, with GPG key id 721730127CD7574D, key fingerprint EBFC267F8F10EFD1FB84854D721730127CD7574D, and bitcoin address 1EPiSKiNG139bzcwTm8rxMFNfFFdanLW5K
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 04:41:00 AM

Nice video...glad to see the update.  It's an interesting dynamic in that when the price of bitcoins is rising at a fast enough clip, it's better to just buy bitcoin...and when the price levels out, the difficulty will likely catch up very fast and erode profits.  I viewed it the same way you did, a lower risk way of obtaining bitcoins.

Look at what happened to Wikileaks.  They tried to shut down wikileaks.org, and 1400 new mirrors popped up overnight.  MtGox doesn't have a monopoly on the Bitcoin trading market, someone could start a viable competitor tomorrow and be in business easily.

Heh...well, I think there are already a half dozen or so fully operational competitors to mtgox.  I think the key at this point is to expand the usage of bitcoin enough to where buying locally for cash is viable.  At that point, every electronic means of getting money into any exchange could be shutdown, but you could take a wad of cash out of the atm and find someone locally to buy from.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 07:52:26 AM

I created a YouTube video to describe my experience with mining as well as buying lots of Bitcoins when they were 80 cents.

Excuse the amateur production and my wobbly hand with the iPhone.  Otherwise, enjoy!

Thanks for sharing your experience with Bitcoin.
TehZomB

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 08:04:51 AM

Thanks for the sharing and update! However:

protip: never never never let your address out. hehe.
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 01:37:28 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2011, 02:28:20 PM by bulanula

LOL you have made your fortune using BTC !

Had 25 000 so that is about 250 000 considering 1 BTC = 10 USD.

Nice !

Care to explain what hardware you are using ?

Thanks !
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 02:09:09 PM

I wish I had as long kitchen as yours. Smiley Then, I would not have to mine inside my living room, fighting with noise and heat.

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
grndzero

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 12:26:07 AM

I wish I had as long kitchen as yours. Smiley Then, I would not have to mine inside my living room, fighting with noise and heat.

I watched your video, and the one other bitcoin rig video on youtube at the time, before I decided to buy some dedicated hardware. Unfortunently I didn't have the money to go all out with 2 5970's right off the bat.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 02:30:06 AM

Look at what happened to Wikileaks.  They tried to shut down wikileaks.org, and 1400 new mirrors popped up overnight.  MtGox doesn't have a monopoly on the Bitcoin trading market, someone could start a viable competitor tomorrow and be in business easily.

Wikileaks does free dissemination of information. MtGox holds actual Bitcoins and US Dollars which would be confiscated.

The fact that so few Bitcoiners realize how easy it is for someone to sue MtGox and get a judicial injunction (US, Japan, anywhere) thus holding up thousands of EVERYONE's money is a testament to how horrible a crash is going to affect the community. I'm sorry for those of you who don't understand this.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: