Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:45:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help setting up merged mining on P2Pool  (Read 5835 times)
Gladamas (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
May 19, 2012, 02:36:41 AM

First of all I would like to say that I am not a complete noob when it comes to setting up software. However I cannot find a guide on how to set up merged mining on P2Pool (that is, Bitcoin, Namecoin, Devcoin, IXcoin, I0coin, [Liquidcoin? Litecoin?]). Something like this would be helpful, but I am running Windows 7, not Linux. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gladamas (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
May 19, 2012, 03:38:44 PM

Bump

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 11:02:03 AM

First of all I would like to say that I am not a complete noob when it comes to setting up software. However I cannot find a guide on how to set up merged mining on P2Pool (that is, Bitcoin, Namecoin, Devcoin, IXcoin, I0coin, [Liquidcoin? Litecoin?]). Something like this would be helpful, but I am running Windows 7, not Linux. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I was able to get namecoin running for merged mining under windows.  I haven't found anything for the others.  But, IMHO, they are worthless currencies so I'm not losing much.

See here for installing and running: http://dot-bit.org/InstallAndConfigureNamecoin

And I use this GUI, although it's not perfect, it seems to work.  Mostly:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=48737.0

That's only if you intend to run a server locally.  If you can't/won't setup a local server, I suggest using a public p2pool like p2pmining.com:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=66202.0

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
TCPC

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 03:55:12 AM

I know this post is pretty old, but I was also looking for a guide to setup P2Pool on Windows.  Did you ever have any luck setting yours up?  Or does anyone else know of a guide for windows?
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 12:02:44 AM

I know this post is pretty old, but I was also looking for a guide to setup P2Pool on Windows.  Did you ever have any luck setting yours up?  Or does anyone else know of a guide for windows?

My above post describes it all.  It works fine for me in windows 7.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 08:20:43 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2013, 01:18:32 AM by mokahless

I know this post is pretty old, but I was also looking for a guide to setup P2Pool on Windows.  Did you ever have any luck setting yours up?  Or does anyone else know of a guide for windows?

My above post describes it all.  It works fine for me in windows 7.

M

But how did you set up the merged-mining part?

Edit: If anyone sees this and was looking because they had the question I did, it's an option in p2pool. "--merged"

johnny5

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 09:40:18 PM

Is there any way to verify that a setup of p2pool is correctly merged mining?   I added in the --merged and the namecoind info, and on the p2pool console display, once in a while i now see "new merged mining work received" or something along those lines - but i never see anything else.  When i getinfo on namecoind, "hashespersec" : 0, is always at 0. 
Is there some way to verify it's indeed merged mining, locally?
pyra-proxy

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 08:46:45 PM

Is there any way to verify that a setup of p2pool is correctly merged mining?   I added in the --merged and the namecoind info, and on the p2pool console display, once in a while i now see "new merged mining work received" or something along those lines - but i never see anything else.  When i getinfo on namecoind, "hashespersec" : 0, is always at 0. 

bump - I have this same question as I'm investigating now, seeing the same results as you as well...  Trying to get my head around p2pool and it's capabilities/limitations

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 08:54:50 PM

bump - I have this same question as I'm investigating now, seeing the same results as you as well...  Trying to get my head around p2pool and it's capabilities/limitations

As long as it says "new merged mining work received" you are good to go.  There is no other indication to look for other than a chunk of coins when you find an altcoin block.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 10:59:14 PM

As long as it says "new merged mining work received" you are good to go.  There is no other indication to look for other than a chunk of coins when you find an altcoin block.

the difficulty is really high on ixcoin and namecoin.  keep in mind when you merge mine with p2pool, you're using your hashpower only for the altcoins.  it'll likely be a while before you get a block.

M

pyra-proxy

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 03:22:43 AM

the difficulty is really high on ixcoin and namecoin.  keep in mind when you merge mine with p2pool, you're using your hashpower only for the altcoins.  it'll likely be a while before you get a block.

M

Thanks, was curious about that part and assumed that was the case but still curious.  So I got all of them working (BTC, NMC, IXC) except DVC....  not sure why but that one always gives me failed to get auxblock messages (had to take each one out and add back in unfortunately to figure this out .... is there any better info for debugging?).  Is there something special about devcoin that I need to do in order to get it to merge mine properly?  My conf files are more or less very cookie cutter at this point.

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 09:56:25 AM

M

Thanks, was curious about that part and assumed that was the case but still curious.  So I got all of them working (BTC, NMC, IXC) except DVC....  not sure why but that one always gives me failed to get auxblock messages (had to take each one out and add back in unfortunately to figure this out .... is there any better info for debugging?).  Is there something special about devcoin that I need to do in order to get it to merge mine properly?  My conf files are more or less very cookie cutter at this point.

I only bother with IXCoin and Namecoin.  IIRC I couldn't find a reliable source for windows DVC, and considering the value of DVC is really really small, I didn't think it was worth the risk.

M

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 10:43:59 AM

M

Devcoin isn't any different.  Just make sure you don't have a typo in the username/password/port.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: