Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:59:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Boot Systems  (Read 1213 times)
linuxbgood (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 09:59:00 PM

Im some what new to Bitcoin, what I cant find is if you are a dual booter like me is there a way to share a wallet or do I need to have 2 wallets with some bitcoins in them each.  I'm using Electrum right now on linux and bitcore on windows, but have no problems using one that is ported to both O/s.
Willisius

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 10:17:06 PM

If you have the private keys on both OSs, you effectively have the same wallet on both of them. Change addresses would be different using Bitcoin Core, but I think Electrum generates them deterministically (i.e. given the same master key, always generate the same addresses). So if you have Electrum running on both Linux and Windows, and you have them both using the same wallet file (or using the same master key), that should do what you're trying to do.
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 06:36:30 AM

Im some what new to Bitcoin, what I cant find is if you are a dual booter like me is there a way to share a wallet or do I need to have 2 wallets with some bitcoins in them each.  I'm using Electrum right now on linux and bitcore on windows, but have no problems using one that is ported to both O/s.

I suspect what you're looking for is a way to use the same copy of the blockchain and your wallet on disk, rather than creating a separate copy with the same keys. If you use the same software (and the same version, though it may work otherwise it could cause issues) on both operating systems, you can do this with a symbolic link; simply redirect the data directory or wallet file on one OS to the main copy on the other OS' partition. The commands you'll need are "ln -s" on Linux and "mklink" on Windows, though exact syntax depends on your environment (running the commands without parameters should give you some help text with more information). As always, make backups of both wallets before doing anything in case something goes wrong.

I used to dual boot, though Windows keeps screwing up the UEFI boot entry for my Debian partition and I now use a separate server for most things. Glad to see it's working well for someone, at least! :3

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: