Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:57:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 142 »
  Print  
Author Topic: why do people agree to pay taxes?  (Read 50966 times)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 03:39:07 AM

If you don't want to pay taxes, you can always renounce your citizenship and move out.  Smiley

I'm not American, but I thought that Americans have to pay taxes even if they're not living there. I could be wrong though, it was something I heard once I think.

When you renounce your citizenship, you are no longer American.  Grin
Also when you rescind your citizenship.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Robert Paulson (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 10:02:08 AM

As a side note... It's not that I support what my government does with the taxes they collect from me. I think most of it gets wasted at best. But that is a different problem than taxes themselves. Whether you feel free or not, these are the safest times in all of human history. Never have you been able to think that you might live to be 70. My friends in Washington state can smoke weed, carry a gun, curse any god, have sex with who they want, etc. That is basically unheard of in history.

and its all possible because we always said we could do better and get more freedom.
if the thirteen American colonies just accepted the fact they have to pay taxes to the British king none of this would come to be.
and today is no different, we can do better, we can get rid of the government completely and achieve a level of freedom unseen since the dawn of civilization.

bitcoin decentralizes money, we must also decentralize military power.
and with that centuries of institutionalized robbery called taxation will end.

Are you crazy? It is very possible to attack bitcoin in a number of ways. Bitcoin is not attacked because it would not make economic sense to do so.

When countries use their military, the economics are not taken into consideration as much as the loser of a military conflict generally will no longer exist as an independent state. This would mean that someone could attack "miliartycoin" in the same ways that bitcoin can be attacked however the attacker would not care about the economics of such attack

the attacker might not care about the economics of his war but his soldiers do.
no one is going to fight for free and a minority military power attacking the honest majority will always run out of money first.
Timetwister
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 02:46:40 PM

We don't agree to pay taxes. We pay them because we would go to jail if we didn't.

And we have to pay taxes because the majority of voters are ignorant and just keep asking for more government intervention.
sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 12:03:19 PM

Who agree to pay taxes  Tongue
They pay taxes because they don't want get to jail

Maybe government give you services, but you don't know what did they do with your money
In the end, all people still pay taxes

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
santaClause

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 05:29:15 PM

We don't agree to pay taxes. We pay them because we would go to jail if we didn't.

And we have to pay taxes because the majority of voters are ignorant and just keep asking for more government intervention.
I would disagree with this. The government provides a certain amount of services to it's citizens and as a result citizens need to pay for these services via taxes. If you do not pay taxes then you are essentially stealing. It is not a perfect system however it is generally what is used throughout the world.
Robert Paulson (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 07:04:40 PM

I would disagree with this. The government provides a certain amount of services to it's citizens and as a result citizens need to pay for these services via taxes. If you do not pay taxes then you are essentially stealing. It is not a perfect system however it is generally what is used throughout the world.

so the government sells you services at the point of a gun, is that how it works?
its not like you can refuse to buy the services.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 07:44:29 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2014, 10:36:53 PM by NotLambchop

Robert Paulson, stop whining and revolt already.  You have nothing to lose but your chains!

We're waiting...

~Your Beneficent Reptilian Overlords.
SquallLeonhart
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1101

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 08:48:22 PM

I dont want to pay taxes but do I have a choice?
Window2Wall

Activity: 191

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 12:48:29 AM

so the government sells you services at the point of a gun, is that how it works?
The services that are provided by the government are necessary for society to continue in a civilized manner. Without the services the government provides there would be ciaos and it would generally be unsafe for citizens
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 02:44:04 AM

The services that are provided by the government are necessary for society to continue in a civilized manner. Without the services the government provides there would be ciaos and it would generally be unsafe for citizens

Nope. Chaos is not equal to anarchy. We are effectively in a state of chaos now, where if you're in government, you can murder and otherwise violate the rights of whoever you want under color of law, and not legitimately fear any real consequences (civil judgements come out of taxpayers' pockets, not perpetrators).

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Window2Wall

Activity: 191

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 02:47:15 AM

Nope. Chaos is not equal to anarchy. We are effectively in a state of chaos now, where if you're in government, you can murder and otherwise violate the rights of whoever you want under color of law, and not legitimately fear any real consequences (civil judgements come out of taxpayers' pockets, not perpetrators).
If a police officer for example kills an innocent civilian and is acting recklessly then he could be both criminally liable and civilly liable for this action. I would disagree with your statement that people can be killed and rights violated under "the color of the law" especially without any examples.....can you please provide one (or two)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 07:30:09 AM
Last edit: October 20, 2014, 08:01:48 AM by Lethn

If a police officer for example kills an innocent civilian and is acting recklessly then he could be both criminally liable and civilly liable for this action. I would disagree with your statement that people can be killed and rights violated under "the color of the law" especially without any examples.....can you please provide one (or two)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-18/forensic-evidence-said-to-support-ferguson-police-shooting-story.html

This one springs to mind immediately, whenever a shooting happens that is perpetrated by the police they just shrug it off and use PR, they aren't accountable, people like you just choose to ignore bits they don't like about government to support their view, this kind of thing is happening on a regular basis.

Oh and if they aren't shooting at you, they're pepper spraying you in the face or using tasers for peacefully protesting, or just pointing guns at you and are ready to shoot you.
Thylacine

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 01:37:15 PM

I guess because I like not having to generate my own electricity, have access to clean running water and sewerage, paved roads and traffic signs. Sure it sucks paying for other people's kids to go to school and some pensioner's gruel, but your mileage may vary.

As a single young person with an OK salary I'm definitely getting the worst of it. Contributing the most but receiving the least. But hey, when some government funded nurse is changing my diaper in 60 years I'll have some working-age guy's salary to thank.

Sefton

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 01:45:55 PM

Why do people agree to pay taxes? Because people are stupid and don't know any better. People should refuse to pay taxes en masse until the governments change their ways. They only have power because the people give them it by voting for them and paying their salaries.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 02:51:17 PM

So, who's leaving America to get away from evil taxes? And where are you going? Where is this utopia of tax free peace and prosperity? Some of the gulf states have no taxes. But that does not mean you can do what you want. There are a lot of laws about how you must conduct yourself in accordance with Islam. And you may still have to pay unofficial taxes in the form of bribes.

When you rank countries by how happy their people are, you find that the happiest places have high taxation. That is because it's not the tax, it's what they get for their taxes.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Robert Paulson (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 07:37:29 PM

So, who's leaving America to get away from evil taxes? And where are you going? Where is this utopia of tax free peace and prosperity? Some of the gulf states have no taxes. But that does not mean you can do what you want. There are a lot of laws about how you must conduct yourself in accordance with Islam. And you may still have to pay unofficial taxes in the form of bribes.

When you rank countries by how happy their people are, you find that the happiest places have high taxation. That is because it's not the tax, it's what they get for their taxes.

why should people leave America, how about the taxes leave America.
i never said getting rid of taxes creates a perfect utopia but it will improve the economy and financial well being of everyone in the country.

the government is an inefficient monopoly, it can't know how much people are willing to pay for the services it provides and just charges people arbitrary amounts by using force.
only the free market can put an optimal price on services such as defense, unemployment insurance, medical insurance and all the other industries the government is either a total monopoly in or interferes in.

when these services are run for profit in a free market they have to be efficient or else the company owners lose money.
the government has no reason to be efficient, the money they spend didn't come out of their pocket and in a way after its stolen from the population its nobody's money and no one cares how inefficiently it is being used.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 10:17:30 PM

what about covert ops though?

Obviously most of their atrocities will be kept secret.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 12:25:41 AM

The services that are provided by the government are necessary for society to continue in a civilized manner.

While the services may be necessary, the government is not.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 01:14:50 AM

why should people leave America, how about the taxes leave America...

Lolno, U!

~Your Reptilian Overlords
bitbouillion

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:04:15 AM

why is it ok for a group of people calling themselves the government to force everyone to buy their services?

Because they need money to pay guards in order to stay in power.

if enough armed people refused to pay and told the government to go fuck itself there is nothing they could do.

Happened in history all the time.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 142 »
  Print  

Jump to: