Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:17:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea for a BS&T security  (Read 4089 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 04:43:40 AM

I'd like to invest with Bitcoin Savings & Trust, but it's apparently pretty difficult to get an account and you can't get the best interest rate without risking tons of BTC. PPT is alright, but, as Meni Rosenfeld pointed out, the "insurance" is mostly meaningless and only makes figuring out the risk/reward more difficult.

I'd like to see a GLBSE asset like this:
- Each share represents 1 BTC invested in BS&T and gets weekly dividend payments equal to whatever BS&T pays minus a small fee for the owner of the asset.
- Every week at some predetermined time, the asset owner creates enough new shares to fill all bids of 1 BTC or more.

Anyone with a BS&T account want to do this?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 04:44:42 AM

+1

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2012, 04:46:50 AM

I'd like to invest with Bitcoin Savings & Trust, but it's apparently pretty difficult to get an account and you can't get the best interest rate without risking tons of BTC. PPT is alright, but, as Meni Rosenfeld pointed out, the "insurance" is mostly meaningless and only makes figuring out the risk/reward more difficult.

- Each share represents 1 BTC invested in BS&T and gets weekly dividend payments equal to whatever BS&T pays minus a small fee for the owner of the asset.
- Every week at some predetermined time, the asset owner creates enough new shares to fill all bids of 1 BTC or more.

So then ignore the insurance.  Bid 1.1 and you'll get 1.28 in 28 days.  That's ~18% a month.  Is that not a fair return?

edit:  And the insurance isn't meaningless.  It means you'll get .32 btc back for your 1.1 if pirate defaults.  Using your scheme, you'd get nothing.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 04:51:27 AM

So then ignore the insurance.  Bid 1.1 and you'll get 1.28 in 28 days.  That's ~18% a month.  Is that not a fair return?

edit:  And the insurance isn't meaningless.  It means you'll get .32 btc back for your 1.1 if pirate defaults.  Using your scheme, you'd get nothing.

If i'm understanding correctly, he is talking about a higher return (similar to a pirate account) that is completely uninsured (more risk). In this way the acount holder transfers more (all) risk to bondholders while taking a smaller fee off the top than PPT does. I think it's a great idea.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 04:52:05 AM

I can do it if the fee is reasonable.

What would a reasonable fee be?

Thanks.

I was thinking that it'd be reasonable for someone with a 7% BS&T account to pay 6.5% to the asset and keep the remaining amount. It doesn't cost much to run an asset like this, so even higher payout percentages are possible.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2012, 04:52:48 AM

If you're going to do this, why even put it on GLBSE?  Just make a forum posting offering to deposit in the btcst account.  People send the btc straight to account holder and they forward to pirate.  This avoids the GLBSE fees and reduces the number of steps needed.   In fact, there's already a bunch of these.  If the argument is that there can be bidding, then go ppt.x. Wink

EIEIO:

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 04:54:29 AM

If you're going to do this, why even put it on GLBSE?  Just make a forum posting offering to deposit in the btcst account.  People send the btc straight to account holder and they forward to pirate.  This avoids the GLBSE fees and reduces the number of steps needed.   In fact, there's already a bunch of these.  If the argument is that there can be bidding, then go ppt.x. Wink

GLBSE makes it much easier to keep track of depositors and make payments.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 04:54:52 AM

Okay, I will adjust TYGRR-P or TYGRR.P to this.

100% uninsured bonds at 6.5% weekly. (as requested by theymos)

Let me change the contracts. IPO will be Tuesday.

Awesome!

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 04:58:13 AM

You mean like this?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60405.0
</shameless_plug>

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 04:59:29 AM

Idea to plan in 10 minutes, nice Cheesy

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2012, 04:59:38 AM

You mean like this?
</shameless_plug>

No.  this is completely uninsured.

EIEIO:

notme
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 05:03:45 AM

You mean like this?
</shameless_plug>

No.  this is completely uninsured.

I'd do it with 7% uninsured for the first month and 6.5% thereafter if I can get at least 500 BTC that are unavailable for withdrawal for the first month.  Any takers?

payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 05:08:58 AM

i'd pay out 6.9% per week every month Cheesy

minimum deposit: 10 btc.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 05:14:08 AM

i'd pay out 6.9% per week every month Cheesy

minimum deposit: 10 btc.

Meh, I'll be on your level soon enough... stupid tiered interest.

hashking

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 05:24:01 AM

I just setup shop at 6.75% per week.  Weekly payments.
BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 05:32:29 AM

Well, theymos, you just managed to start at least three new operations in about 45 minutes.

I don't think pirate's a scammer by any means, but the growing impact any catastrophe that might befall him or BS&T would have on the network is starting to scare me.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 05:39:19 AM

Well, theymos, you just managed to start at least three new operations in about 45 minutes.

Heh, maybe I should have tried harder to get a BS&T account so I could have run this myself. Smiley

I don't think pirate's a scammer by any means, but the growing impact any catastrophe that might befall him or BS&T would have on the network is starting to scare me.

I do tend to think it's a Ponzi scheme, so I view it as a form of gambling. Hopefully no one else is gambling more than they can afford to lose.

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 06:10:25 AM

do tend to think it's a Ponzi scheme, so I view it as a form of gambling. Hopefully no one else is gambling more than they can afford to lose.

Me too. I just put in with payb.tc, and hedged it a little on betsofbitcoin. I also dumped my PPT shares... oops.
JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 03:37:41 PM

Well I guess it's a free market, but of 1?  

I guess 0.5% is OK, but then why not 0.1%, OR do you really want to sell some shares in GLBSE? How about 7.1%/wk?

I understand Theymos is respected and a good Admin for the Forum, but if his 'likability' translates into his wishes being turned into reality then it isn't a 'FreeMarket'.

However, it is a good thing. I just wished the market would have forced it to happen.

Testing... Testing...     Goat how about 7.5%/wk?  

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
notme
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 03:47:44 PM

Well I guess it's a free market, but of 1?  

I guess 0.5% is OK, but then why not 0.1%, OR do you really want to sell some shares in GLBSE? How about 7.1%/wk?

I understand Theymos is respected and a good Admin for the Forum, but if his 'likability' translates into his wishes being turned into reality then it isn't a 'FreeMarket'.

However, it is a good thing. I just wished the market would have forced it to happen.

Testing... Testing...     Goat how about 7.5%/wk?  

Why would someone payout more than pirate for a pirate pass through?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: