Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 12:42:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First church to accept bitcoins  (Read 4310 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 06:11:34 AM

Superstition is the end of reason.

No gods, no masters.

"Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God" - Lenny Bruce

@abitnut:  non believers is not the same as non religious.  you can believe in god or a higher power of some kind without being religious or being associated with a particular religion.

I used to be hardcore atheist but realized at some point that Divinity can exist and not necessarily be the bible's concept of God.  Some would call this pantheism.

cr4sh0verride

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 06:39:12 AM

Technically everyone is an Atheist in some respect (unless you believe in every single god known to man)

I don't really like the word to be honest and it has a lot of bad stigma attached to it (mostly unfairly attached by theists)
We also don't attach the latin "A" meaning without to anything else in life

I'm not a stamp collector but I don't go around calling myself a AStampCollector .. nor would any of my views/opinions/morality etc be based from that

Armis

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 07:43:59 AM
Last edit: October 17, 2014, 08:29:27 AM by Armis

Superstition is the end of reason.

No gods, no masters.

yeah, everyone is equal ... idiot!

Try this experiment take flour, eggs, sugar, baking soda, butter, milk, and a oven and just leave them in the kitchen, how long do you thing it would take to evolve into a cake?
 a million years, a billion years, a trillion years?  It won't happen because there's no action behind it, and there no plan behind that.

Before you have an earth, solar system, or galaxies you must have a plan, as well as the ingredients and action to carryout that plan.   Who created the ingredients, and who designed the plan?  You can't get a "bang" without bang ingredients and a plan to make a bang.

...  who created thought, who created a system where by the invisible mind controls the physical body  ...  

You live in a world where 90+% of the world population are theist.   Be glad they don't treat you as you treat them.

Go tell that to the Bábism, Bahá’í Faith, Christianity, Catholicism, Protestantism, Restorationism, Gnosticism, Islam, Judaism, Rastafari movement, Mandaeans and Sabians, Samaritanism, Unitarian Universalism
Ayyavazhi, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, Sikhism, Confucianism, Shinto, Taoism, Eurasian, Cargo cults, Hellenistic, Shinshukyo religions.

Do your homework and stop sucking numbers from your ass.

Ignorant people are born every day and trolls every second day.

In 2007, there are an estimated 157,529,444 people worldwide who are atheists. This is according to data compiled from the 2010 World Factbook of the United States Central Intelligence Agency.  This number represents about 2.32% of the world population at that time. Translated to current population statistics there would be about 170,088,267 atheists in the world today.

A 2010 survey published in Encyclopædia Britannica found that the non-religious made up about 9.6% of the world's population, and atheists about 2.0%, with a very large majority based in Asia.

What's wrong with you, your info supports my position.

I said 90+% are theists (I know it is 97%) you provide info that atheists are approx 3%, that means we are saying the same thing.

Read with comprehension.  

Technically everyone is an Atheist in some respect (unless you believe in every single god known to man)

I don't really like the word to be honest and it has a lot of bad stigma attached to it (mostly unfairly attached by theists)

I'm not a stamp collector but I don't go around calling myself a AStampCollector .. nor would any of my views/opinions/morality etc be based from that

Dude,

Prefix         Meaning   Example
a-, an-, ab-   without   amoral, abnormal, atheist, atypical, agnostic, anemic, ...

enjoy
http://wordinfo.info/units/view/2838/page:1/ip:1

Pulley3

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 09:12:43 AM

Good. With the decrease of people who goes to church, they might want to lessen their sins by giving to church.  Wink
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 09:21:29 AM

First they let they gays in church now they are accepting satan money.... what next eating babies?

j/k good endorsement.
theskillzdatklls

Activity: 1328
Merit: 563

MintDice.com | TG: t.me/MintDice

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 09:45:51 AM

First they let they gays in church now they are accepting satan money.... what next eating babies?

j/k good endorsement.

one step closer to catholic little boy drama going mainstream

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▀▀▀▀███▄
███████▀     ████
███████   ███████
█████        ████
███████   ███████
▀██████   ██████▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██    ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀  ██
██   █▀   ▀█   ██
██   █▄   ▄█   ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀    ██
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
█▄▄      ████████▄
 █████▄▄████████▌
▀██████████████▌
  █████████████
  ▀██████████▀
   ▄▄██████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

██  ██
  ███████████▄
    ██      ▀█
    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
    ██▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
    ██      ▄█
  ███████████▀
    ██  ██

▄
       ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀      ▄
      ▀█▀  ▀   ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀
███▄▄▄        ▀█▀  ▀     ▄▄▄███       ▐█▄    ▄█▌   ▐█▌   █▄    ▐█▌   ████████   █████▄     ██    ▄█████▄▄   ▐█████▌
████████▄▄           ▄▄████████       ▐███▄▄███▌   ▐█▌   ███▄  ▐█▌      ██      █▌  ▀██    ██   ▄██▀   ▀▀   ▐█
███████████▄       ▄███████████       ▐█▌▀██▀▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██▀██▄▐█▌      ██      █▌   ▐█▌   ██   ██          ▐█████▌
 ████████████     ████████████        ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██  ▀███▌      ██      █▌  ▄██    ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄   ▐█
  ████████████   ████████████         ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██    ▀█▌      ██      █████▀     ██    ▀█████▀▀   ▐█████▌
   ▀███████████ ███████████▀
     ▀███████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
FIND OUT MORE AT MINTDICE.COM
cr4sh0verride

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 10:01:36 AM

Dude,

Prefix         Meaning   Example
a-, an-, ab-   without   amoral, abnormal, atheist, atypical, agnostic, anemic, ...

enjoy
http://wordinfo.info/units/view/2838/page:1/ip:1

23 pages with an average of 10 words per page

230 words using the A prefix

Estimated to be over a million words in the English language
http://www.languagemonitor.com/number-of-words/number-of-words-in-the-english-language-1008879/

230/1000000*100 = 0.023%

That's just single words as well not even descriptions

And that's not even relevant to the point
Well done.. you're very special..
Onestopbrokers Directory

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 10:44:20 AM

Church accepts bitcoins? Like all the other good business, give the chance to people to donate on their most convenience way.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 11:34:19 AM

Hey don't look it as an attempts to promote bitcoin. That way, it sounds very negative. Instead look at it as a way to provide alternative payment option which donors are comfortable with using and at their convenience. I don't understand why we need  to create an issue out of everything

Oscilson

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 01:18:45 PM

Can we ask the church to use the BTC to pay for the service it gets, not change it into fiat?
Armis

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 02:05:45 PM

Can we ask the church to use the BTC to pay for the service it gets, not change it into fiat?

rest assured if they are bright enough to accept btc as a part of their collections, they will likely limit their fees as best they can.  The problem is however, that because of fluxuation in rates they may not want to take the gamble of storing btc, fiat is still the most stable of currencies
michaelb87

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 02:09:31 PM

churches and religion have nothing to do with crypto
Armis

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 02:24:47 PM

churches and religion have nothing to do with crypto

just like thy have nothing to do with fiat, gold, or any other currency ...  the simple fact is they would be wise to accept all currencies -- well not all, you know there are very many that simply have no place in the house of God, or to be handled by those of 'the faith'. 

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 03:25:17 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2014, 03:41:29 PM by Beliathon

Perhaps I should have explained the reasoning for my militant anti-theism. It is based on 3 premises:

1. Our civilization is a zero-sum game between reason and violence. Where one flourishes, the other suffocates.  When one waxes, the other wanes.

2.  There is also a similar zero-sum game between reason and superstition. Where reason thrives, superstition suffocates - and vice versa.

3. As superstition is the enemy of reason, it is therefore the ally of violence. A more superstitious world is a more violent world. History strongly supports this. Our world has become steadily less violent since the dawn of the age of reason a few hundred years ago. Although this seems a bit counter-intuitive given the World wars, it's true.

Check out "the surprising decline in violence" on youtube. And check out The real God, an Epiphany.

Also check out Christopher Ryan's interview with reason TV. Human beings are sexually omnivorous,  he argues strongly. Monogamy is one of the myths we need to let go of, because the more we embrace our hyper-sexual nature, the less violent our species will become.

.Religion's rabid demonization of natural human sexuality is one of the primary ways it makes our world more violent.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Armis

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 04:19:34 PM

Perhaps I should have explained the reasons for my militant anti-theism. It is based on 3 premises:

1. Our civilization is a zero-sum game between reason and violence. Where one flourishes, the other suffocates.  When one waxes, the other wanes.

2.  There is also a similar zero-sum game between reason and superstition. Where reason thrives, superstition suffocates - and vice versa.

3. As superstition is the enemy of reason, it is therefore the ally of violence. A more superstitious world is a more violent world. History strongly supports this. Our world has become steadily less violent since the dawn of the age of reason a few hundred years ago, although it is counter-intuitive given the World wars.

Check out surprising decline in violence on youtube. And check out The real God, an Epiphany.

That, my friend, is moronic verse.   

It is clear by the usage of the term: "zero-sum game", your knowledge is extremely narrow, the term you meant is "zero-sum gain".   Nevertheless, your postulations are disjointed, illogical, and irrelevant to the matter of God. 

How in the world can you compare or contrast "reason" and "violence"?  Starting with such a weak base it's impossible to build any type of logical argument.  Might as well compare peanuts to hub caps, then conclude "that because there are more ways to eat peanuts these days, God must exist because he didn't create cars man did." -- disjointed premise and illogical conclusion.

Superstition is about that which is 'super', or greater than what one would be expected to believe.  'Super' anything by definition falls outside of the norm.  Given that 90+% of the world population are theist, Atheist are the ones who are 'superstitious'. 

How does anyone that believes "the big bang theory" not understand that a plan had to be conceived prior to anything of that magnetude, furthermore that someone had to create the ingredients to make the thing in the first place. 

You can't make a sandwich without ingredients and a plan of action, but somehow I'm to believe that a full universe came into existence without ingredients or a plan of action -- that's irrational, illogical, and ill-conceived foolishness.
Willisius

Activity: 364

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 04:37:26 PM

This thread is getting way off course. I can't say I'm surprised of course. Any time there's a topic that's integral to one's identity, there's going to be a different opinion from every participant. The thing is, whether you're an Anglican Christian, a militant atheist, or anything else, your beliefs aren't relevant in Bitcoin Discussion. The thread is about a church in London accepting bitcoins in its collection. It's not "What do you think of churches in general?" Nobody would make that thread because we know that everyone has his/her finger on the trigger when it comes to sharing opinions.

In a futile attempt to steer towards relevant discussion: I support their decision to accept bitcoins. Not only does this help them by making donations more private, it shows people that Bitcoin isn't just for obscure online probably-illegal applications.
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 06:45:00 PM

j/k good endorsement.

ooh satan money and baby eating contests.  so what comes after that?
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 08:20:13 PM

If they want to grow by leaps and bounds, their leaders should develop Ponzicoin - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=825091.0 - and implement it among their members.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.
cafucafucafu

Activity: 812
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 09:38:27 PM

I don't agree with many of the church's teachings but I don't think we should be trollish about it. Let's praise them for taking this step.

cr4sh0verride

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 10:02:52 PM

How does anyone that believes "the big bang theory" not understand that a plan had to be conceived prior to anything of that magnetude, furthermore that someone had to create the ingredients to make the thing in the first place. 

We don't in the sense you think "believe in the big bang theory"
We have examined the evidence that was left over from it and concluded that is most likely how the universe began

No one knows (including you) at this point what happened before it and very simply if you say that you require "someone" had to create the universe, then it doesn't answer anymore questions that it poses itself
I.e. Who created the creator and you fall into an infinite regression
If you say that a creator has always been or is some uncaused cause.. you're only digging yourself a deeper hole

I think Socrates once said "True knowledge is knowing that you know nothing"

Also if you think that "nothing" can't come from "nothing" I suggest you have a good think about what nothing actually is and watch a few of Lawrence Krauss' lectures on the subject
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: