Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:27:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Jalapeno power supply confusion  (Read 2348 times)
C0mpass (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 12:14:41 AM

Hi,

So my BFL Jalapeno power brick just died, too lazy to make my own for a atx setup so I bought this charger:

http://www.staples.ca/en/iGo-Green-Travel-Laptop-Charger/product_898226_2-CA_1_20001

It seems to have variable voltage 11.5 – 16VDC but yet on the back it says 19 volt output.

Currently the jalapeno is hashing away with it but the fan seems to be spinning way higher than normal, Is this an OK brick to run it with or am I going to end up frying it in the long run?

Thanks for any help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 01:06:28 AM

The 11.5-16VDC seems to be when plugging it into e.g. a car's power jack (cigarette lighter), sometimes also found on airplanes (first class, maybe, though I think those are all standard outlets now as it is), and has nothing to do with output voltage.

It likely is 19V output as stated on the back (manufacturer probably knows better than the people who wrote the documentation/packaging/promo fluff) and at some retailers (e.g. maplin) who didn't just copy/paste the material, and that would explain the fan going faster than it's supposed to if that's pretty much just hooked up (semi)directly.

The jalapeno's mining portion itself is behind a bunch of voltage regulators, so that should be okay.  Those voltage regualtors themselves may run hotter than they're supposed to, though.  They may well be able to take it, but why take the risk?

Find a proper 12V brick.  You can find plenty for cheap with plenty of oomph: 12V 5A, 12V 6A is fairly common as LCD monitors use those a lot.  You can't use those as a travel power supply, but if you're buying something for that secondary purpose, you can do a lot better than this iffy thing.

bcp19

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 01:09:51 AM

The 11.5-16VDC seems to be when plugging it into e.g. a car's power jack (cigarette lighter), sometimes also found on airplanes (first class, maybe, though I think those are all standard outlets now as it is), and has nothing to do with output voltage.

It likely is 19V output as stated on the back (manufacturer probably knows better than the people who wrote the documentation/packaging/promo fluff) and at some retailers (e.g. maplin) who didn't just copy/paste the material, and that would explain the fan going faster than it's supposed to if that's pretty much just hooked up (semi)directly.

The jalapeno's mining portion itself is behind a bunch of voltage regulators, so that should be okay.  Those voltage regualtors themselves may run hotter than they're supposed to, though.  They may well be able to take it, but why take the risk?

Find a proper 12V brick.  You can find plenty for cheap with plenty of oomph: 12V 5A, 12V 6A is fairly common as LCD monitors use those a lot.  You can't use those as a travel power supply, but if you're buying something for that secondary purpose, you can do a lot better than this iffy thing.
5 or 6 amps is only workable if the Jalapeno is 5-7gh.  The 3 chip Jalapenos need a 10 amp supply.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
C0mpass (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 01:52:49 AM

This one is the original 5 GH/s with the upgrade to 8 GH/s

I just ordered a 12V 6A psu off amazon.

So that's sufficient?
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 05:51:50 AM
Last edit: October 17, 2014, 08:27:18 AM by Bicknellski

The jalapeno's mining portion itself is behind a bunch of voltage regulators, so that should be okay.  Those voltage regualtors themselves may run hotter than they're supposed to, though.  They may well be able to take it, but why take the risk?

Find a proper 12V brick.  You can find plenty for cheap with plenty of oomph: 12V 5A, 12V 6A is fairly common as LCD monitors use those a lot.  You can't use those as a travel power supply, but if you're buying something for that secondary purpose, you can do a lot better than this iffy thing.
5 or 6 amps is only workable if the Jalapeno is 5-7gh.  The 3 chip Jalapenos need a 10 amp supply.

First time seen BFL actually help a customer in these forums without resorting to name calling first. FTC has made them be more polite one other good thing to come from this TRO.

More typically they just provide BS in a bag. But they charge you extra for the bag and the foam pitchforks. Whole threads full of zero customer service right here as an example:

Issues with your BFL products?

Post below. Seems to be a more than a few smoking units out there.

Just one more way bfl is fucking over customers. Lots of us paid for the upgrade to 7GH. Than they gave it to just about everyone, paid for our not. The only 5 GH units apparently had bad chips. You got lucky. So enjoy using your free upgrade to help make the one I paid for less valuable.

http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMining/comments/1r7la0/finally_got_my_2_jalapenos_from_bfl_but_they_seem/cdkf3sf
Gotta quote this one for posterity!  Epic fail Bick... the guy bought 2 Jalapenos that were... wait for it... running TOO FAST!  Damn dude, read!

butterfly labs jalapeno 7gh stopped working after a week

http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMining/comments/1qmbg7/butterfly_labs_jalapeno_7gh_stopped_working_after/

Same thread.

Mine just blew last night. I woke up to a dead computer room, and after testing individual devices, I found it was the BFL miner PSU that was shorting my circuit. So, ignore the people saying it's faulty apartment wiring: my house is brand new.

That is more Bruce Peterson's speed.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: