Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:06:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Casascius Roll-Your-Own Physical Bitcoins: Only 0.13 BTC  (Read 4648 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2012, 08:42:27 PM

I just thought of a new product I'd like to offer, and you can order it right now on my website for 0.13 BTC.  I will automatically treat any order of 5 or more "broken" coins as an order for roll-your-owns.

The "roll your own" Physical Bitcoin is simply a real Casascius coin without the hologram and without any funds.  Instead you get a fresh private key circle (so you can fund it) and a gold foil sticker to cover the key.

The big advantage?  CHEAP.  Especially in quantity, if you don't care about there being a Casascius hologram.  Perfect if you are trying to give BTC for birthdays or as freebies to others at the lowest cost, to someone who won't care about the lack of a hologram.

Simply order 5 or more of my "broken 1BTC sample" on my website.  Rather than receiving coins with a torn hologram, you will receive brand new fresh coins that have never been stickered.  You'll receive a sheet of gold stickers, and a pack of pre-cut private key circles to fit.  (I will typically provide a few extra stickers and keys than you paid for so you can feel free to test/ruin a few).

The circles are laser-cut and have the private minikey on one side and the firstbits on the other, and each one is unique.  To fund it, you look up the full bitcoin address via the firstbits from https://www.casascius.com/fulllist.txt.  Same policy as on my other keys - I do not keep the private key, for each key you get, it is the only copy that exists - you're also welcome to create your own keys if you feel inclined.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PsychoticBoy
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1010

Parental Advisory Explicit Content

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 06:25:59 PM

Ordered 10 "rol your own" Physical Bitcoins.

Hopefully the people i`ll give this PB are going to love Bitcoin as much as I  Grin

Greetz
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 08:03:07 PM

Are you still offering this? If so, you should put this in the discription of the broken coins.

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
PsychoticBoy
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 08:57:30 PM

I will automatically treat any order of 5 or more "broken" coins as an order for roll-your-owns.

So i suppose i get "rol your own" coins.

Greetz
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 09:20:04 PM

Ordered 21 Roll-your-own. OMG I love rolling!

err... that didn't sound well =/
PsychoticBoy
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 02:59:44 PM

Today I recieved the 10 "Rol your own" coins.

I already gave away 3 coins each valued with 1 BTC.

Promoting bitcoin this way to your friends, family and college`s is great  Grin

Going to buy more  Cheesy

Greetz
Vernon715

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 02:49:29 PM

Sounds good. I may order some.

Please donate: 1FfJzfpGCXD6saKqmMs8W1qt9wouhA98Mj

http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/1642

Coinbuck @ BTCLot

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

The future begins today

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2012, 05:22:25 PM

Erm your website is down  Roll Eyes

Bitcoin is the future !
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2012, 09:47:52 PM

Yep it is amateurly hosted. Couple hours I will have it up.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 08:30:40 PM

I like the role your own idea. Do you have any coins without the number of BTC printed on it?

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 06:08:48 AM

I like the role your own idea. Do you have any coins without the number of BTC printed on it?

+1

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 12:53:46 PM

Sorry, only denominated coins.  But I do have a non denominated gold plated bar.

unclemantis

Activity: 98

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:32:34 PM

Sorry, only denominated coins.  But I do have a non denominated gold plated bar.

Any possibility of some coins with engraved keys? Your coins are not fire proof Sad

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:51:40 PM

Your coins are not fire proof

Neither are dollar bills.

ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:56:20 AM

Your coins are not fire proof

Neither are dollar bills.
Most coinage would melt under a normal house fire anyway.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
bitcoin_bob

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:35:51 AM

I just thought of a new product I'd like to offer, and you can order it right now on my website for 0.13 BTC.  I will automatically treat any order of 5 or more "broken" coins as an order for roll-your-owns.

The "roll your own" Physical Bitcoin is simply a real Casascius coin without the hologram and without any funds.  Instead you get a fresh private key circle (so you can fund it) and a gold foil sticker to cover the key.

The big advantage?  CHEAP.  Especially in quantity, if you don't care about there being a Casascius hologram.  Perfect if you are trying to give BTC for birthdays or as freebies to others at the lowest cost, to someone who won't care about the lack of a hologram.

Simply order 5 or more of my "broken 1BTC sample" on my website.  Rather than receiving coins with a torn hologram, you will receive brand new fresh coins that have never been stickered.  You'll receive a sheet of gold stickers, and a pack of pre-cut private key circles to fit.  (I will typically provide a few extra stickers and keys than you paid for so you can feel free to test/ruin a few).

The circles are laser-cut and have the private minikey on one side and the firstbits on the other, and each one is unique.  To fund it, you look up the full bitcoin address via the firstbits from https://www.casascius.com/fulllist.txt.  Same policy as on my other keys - I do not keep the private key, for each key you get, it is the only copy that exists - you're also welcome to create your own keys if you feel inclined.

Hi Mike,

are you still doing this?

I was thinking these would be cool keyrings/cut coin coinarts (if you have ever seen cut coin art)

I might want to order some off you like that.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 03:48:24 AM

Hi Mike,

I was thinking these would be cool keyrings/cut coin coinarts (if you have ever seen cut coin art)

I have some low cost aluminum coins that I"ll be showing at the conference, you simply add your own sticker to the back.

bitcoin_bob

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:43:39 AM

Hi Mike,

I have some low cost aluminum coins that I"ll be showing at the conference, you simply add your own sticker to the back.

Aluminium doesn't take as well to coin cutting as brass. Its not so nice to enamel either.......If you start selling blanks again let me know. Or I saw you said that you might sell the right to the dies, which would be cool. Im much more into the numismatics of it than the actual BTC.

Are you ever thinking of making a proof set? 0.1,0.2,0.5,1 and 2 would make a really nice set in proof.
BitCoinUser123

Activity: 112

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 05:45:33 PM

I`m a little late to the party, but I would really like to get some Casascius coins. 

The roll-your-own idea is brilliant.  Is this going to happen again?  I don`t see it on the website, and I also realize that Casascius must already be insanely busy handling large orders to wholesaler clients.  Is there still any way for individuals to still get hold of the roll-your-own coins?

If I've been able to help out, donations are always welcome.

BTC: 1QGwEHYTdwwRU1BitLCTB5y2rdf3Sexjw7
bitcoin_bob

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:03:07 AM

I`m a little late to the party, but I would really like to get some Casascius coins.  

The roll-your-own idea is brilliant.  Is this going to happen again?  I don`t see it on the website, and I also realize that Casascius must already be insanely busy handling large orders to wholesaler clients.  Is there still any way for individuals to still get hold of the roll-your-own coins?

today I was PM'ed by a guy who says he has the dies for the coins and is thinking of making them. So someone might start doing it soon........
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: