Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:38:44 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which offline wallet do you use, and why?  (Read 5243 times)
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 09:47:28 PM

I got another question tho. I saw on a guide on how to import private keys in electrum, but when I tried to do it, electrum said: Warning! imported keys are not recoverable from a seed. If you ever need to restore your wallet from its seed, these keys will be lost. Are you sure you understand what you are doing?

I don't understand much about import private keys and what that warning message is meaning. A bit of explain would be highly appriciated.

Also, is it ok to have the portable verision of electrum on an external harddrive, instead of the PC? And with a few copies of the wallet.data of course.

The seed won't be able to generate your random private key, so you'll need to keep a backup of the seed and also of that private key you want to import.  It's better if you just send (sweep) the BTC associated with that private key to an address in your electrum wallet, rather than importing the private key itself.  That way it's backed up by the seed.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
graves

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 10:53:23 PM

is blockchain is offline?
Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:42:35 AM

can be, but then it became out of date and have to synchronize when you connect to the internet 

Salmon1989

Activity: 603

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:24:32 AM

I need a good and reliable offline wallet. I've heard and read on electrum and bitcoin core, the one that is the original one if I am not wrong. I also read good things about armory. But which one to use, and why?

I need something that is simple to use but with good security, and something that I don't need to update the software each and every day.

Both Electrum and Armory are good.
Electrum is more simple to use, while Armory offers better security.
You don't need to worry about software update much, as backward compatibility is taken very seriously in bitcoin software.

Salmon1989

Activity: 603

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:27:27 AM

If you are talking about the blockchain.info wallet, then it is not.
You could create a paper wallet with it, but still it shouldn't be considered an offline wallet as you must be connecting to the site to create the address.

goldsun (OP)

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:57:38 PM

I got another question tho. I saw on a guide on how to import private keys in electrum, but when I tried to do it, electrum said: Warning! imported keys are not recoverable from a seed. If you ever need to restore your wallet from its seed, these keys will be lost. Are you sure you understand what you are doing?

I don't understand much about import private keys and what that warning message is meaning. A bit of explain would be highly appriciated.

Also, is it ok to have the portable verision of electrum on an external harddrive, instead of the PC? And with a few copies of the wallet.data of course.

The seed won't be able to generate your random private key, so you'll need to keep a backup of the seed and also of that private key you want to import.  It's better if you just send (sweep) the BTC associated with that private key to an address in your electrum wallet, rather than importing the private key itself.  That way it's backed up by the seed.

Thanks a lot of explaining this to me man! Smiley
goldsun (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:06:51 PM

I need a good and reliable offline wallet. I've heard and read on electrum and bitcoin core, the one that is the original one if I am not wrong. I also read good things about armory. But which one to use, and why?

I need something that is simple to use but with good security, and something that I don't need to update the software each and every day.

Both Electrum and Armory are good.
Electrum is more simple to use, while Armory offers better security.
You don't need to worry about software update much, as backward compatibility is taken very seriously in bitcoin software.

Sounds good. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Is there many people here who use two wallets? Just in case something happens to one?
etihstaf

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 08:02:18 PM

I'm considering using an Electrum wallet. Any risks or downsides I should take into consideration with this particular wallet?
goldsun (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:12:55 PM

When transfering BTC to my electrum wallet, can I shut down the computer or does it have to run with the electrum software on?

After I transferd some BTC to my electrum wallet, do I have to save and make a new copy of my wallet, each time? Or will the file automatically be updated with all the btc I get? I mean if I have a few backup files on some different places, do I need to touch them or are they automatically updating them self?
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 06:45:39 PM

I'm considering using an Electrum wallet. Any risks or downsides I should take into consideration with this particular wallet?

When transfering BTC to my electrum wallet, can I shut down the computer or does it have to run with the electrum software on?

After I transferd some BTC to my electrum wallet, do I have to save and make a new copy of my wallet, each time? Or will the file automatically be updated with all the btc I get? I mean if I have a few backup files on some different places, do I need to touch them or are they automatically updating them self?

The risk lies in the fact that you're trusting the electrum servers to not lie to you about your balance.  They can't steal any BTC, but you get your balance information from them, that's why you don't have to download the blockchain.

The only backup you need to do is write down your seed when creating the wallet.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
MikeCorleone

Activity: 391
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 06:57:06 PM

Electrum due to its simplicity and armory too Smiley
goldsun (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:45:09 PM

The risk lies in the fact that you're trusting the electrum servers to not lie to you about your balance.  They can't steal any BTC, but you get your balance information from them, that's why you don't have to download the blockchain.

The only backup you need to do is write down your seed when creating the wallet.

Yeah I did write down the seed. But I was just thinking of backing up my wallet file to a few places. So I can shut down the computer and electrum and the transactions are working until they are verified and completed?
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:58:31 PM

All transactions happen on the blockchain, not on your computer.  So you don't need to do anything or have anything on to receive coins.

aronnov

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 10:36:33 AM

I prefer to use an online wallet like blockchain.info, safer, more familiar, and quickly receive and send bitcoin, I hope you enjoy the facilities provided by blockchain.info, hopefully ...  Grin
Mobius7

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 10:46:12 AM

I prefer to use an online wallet like blockchain.info, safer, more familiar, and quickly receive and send bitcoin, I hope you enjoy the facilities provided by blockchain.info, hopefully ...  Grin

I don't think it is right to call blockchain.info wallet safer, but it is definitely a very user-friendly wallet for new bitcoiners and for handling a small amount of bitcoin. It is better to use an offline wallet to keep the majority of your bitcoin safe.

bvsale

Activity: 9

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 02:20:20 PM

you can use bitcoin QT its good, its easy to use and you have the security.
goldsun (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 10:15:22 PM

All transactions happen on the blockchain, not on your computer.  So you don't need to do anything or have anything on to receive coins.

Yeah you are right. Not sure why I thought I had to have my computer on while doing transactions in electrum. Its strange that electrum download was smooth, but for bitcoincore it had to download the whole blockchain. Why was it like that?

Many questions, I know, but I am trying to learn. Thanks!
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 10:31:22 PM

Yeah you are right. Not sure why I thought I had to have my computer on while doing transactions in electrum. Its strange that electrum download was smooth, but for bitcoincore it had to download the whole blockchain. Why was it like that?

The blockchain is kept on electrum's servers.  All your electrum client does is contact the electrum servers and get your balance.  It's the same as typing your address into blockchain.info, it'll tell you your balance without you having to download the blockchain.  The bitcoin core software doesn't contact anyone, it does everything on your computer, so you need to have the blockchain.

kewmccool

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 10:31:57 PM

Dogecoin desktop wallet. Small size for my small drive space.
Shogen
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 03:15:02 PM

The blockchain is kept on electrum's servers.  All your electrum client does is contact the electrum servers and get your balance.  It's the same as typing your address into blockchain.info, it'll tell you your balance without you having to download the blockchain.  The bitcoin core software doesn't contact anyone, it does everything on your computer, so you need to have the blockchain.

Or in order words, when you use Electrum, you need to trust the Electrum server isn't giving you some incomplete transcations data. But with Bitcoin core, you don't need to.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: