Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:15:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why no +1 button? Does the Simple Machines Forum software support this?  (Read 1252 times)
TonyT (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 11:39:18 PM

bitcointalk.org forum uses the Simple Machines Forum software.  Does SMF support a +1 button so that if you agree with a poster, you can click this button and it adds to the total?  That way you don't have to reply "Right on" or something similar to indicate your approval of an opinion.  Maybe even a -1 button would be nice.

TonyT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 11:46:48 PM

a +1 button so that if you agree with a poster, you can click this button and it adds to the total?
There's obviously nothing in the way of implementing such a feature tech wise.
The ramifications of such a "like"-button are probably unwanted, though.
I don't believe that the majority of bitcointalk users would approve of a system where "fishing for compliments" became a major motivation for posting. In a system like this, majority opinion tends to become dominant, which is the opposite of the kind of academic discourse many of us like about bitcointalk.

TL;DR: +1-button? -1. Wink

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1073

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 12:21:49 AM

+1 buttom + multiple accounts allowed = won't work

Think no need to explain why

Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 06:48:28 AM

a +1 button so that if you agree with a poster, you can click this button and it adds to the total?
There's obviously nothing in the way of implementing such a feature tech wise.
The ramifications of such a "like"-button are probably unwanted, though.
I don't believe that the majority of bitcointalk users would approve of a system where "fishing for compliments" became a major motivation for posting. In a system like this, majority opinion tends to become dominant, which is the opposite of the kind of academic discourse many of us like about bitcointalk.

TL;DR: +1-button? -1. Wink

Well said. Bitcointalk's equivalent of a +1 button (as much as it is equivalent, anyway) is people displaying their bitcoin addresses in their signatures and forum profiles. If you think a post deserves extra commendation, reply to it with your reasons and send the author a few mBTC; they'll appreciate it more than a (rather meaningless) "+1", and it's also more constructive and won't clutter up the forum with the "$user and $num others like this post" messages you see on some other forums.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3057

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 05:29:26 AM

bitcointalk.org forum uses the Simple Machines Forum software.  Does SMF support a +1 button so that if you agree with a poster, you can click this button and it adds to the total?  That way you don't have to reply "Right on" or something similar to indicate your approval of an opinion.  Maybe even a -1 button would be nice.

I've requested it for the new forum.  It's a feature I'd like to see, provided they don't let it be abused (linking it to some stat or something!)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622992.0

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Salmon1989

Activity: 603
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:44:43 AM

If you really want to have a like/dislike feature, you can use jackjack's BitcoinTalk++ script. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=264337.0

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 03:01:17 PM

If you really want to have a like/dislike feature, you can use jackjack's BitcoinTalk++ script. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=264337.0

Yeah, I and many other use it. But only persons who use BT++ can see the votes, so it would be good if it is implemented in New Forum. There is problem of votes by fake accounts but it is useful. Roll Eyes

~~MZ~~

Phyzic

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 05:07:46 PM

It will be abused as Multi Accounting is allowed But otherwise, It can be helpful too.
Biitcoin

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

Zichain

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 05:47:35 PM

It can be very helpful yea
I heard that would be a new update (like adding avatars back) on Feb 2015 . but not sure what are the changelogs

Phyzic

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 10:30:47 AM

I heard that would be a new update (like adding avatars back) on Feb 2015 . but not sure what are the changelogs
Yup, Vod told i think so that there will be updates in Feb 2015. Lets wait for it, nothing else we can do Smiley
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3057

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 10:45:02 AM

Yup, Vod told i think so that there will be updates in Feb 2015. Lets wait for it, nothing else we can do Smiley

I doubt there will be a new forum in Feb.   Undecided

There was supposed to be a preview in Aug or Sep.  Nothing so far.  They are behind schedule. 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 10:52:55 AM

In practical, it isn't really an update. It is being built from the scratch, everything will change. And we can hope this will come on February, atleast according to theymos. Smiley They maybe pretty busy to complete the work.

I've decided not to create an official announcement thread today. But I will answer some questions.

=snip=

When will the software be finished?

About one year from now.

~~MZ~~

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: