Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:41:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The White European should be praised for their actions concerning slavery  (Read 5656 times)
awesome31312

Activity: 826
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 04:42:57 PM

Bitcoin is a symbol of voluntaryism, no wonder it's so rampant with pedophilia, murder for hire, and mass fraud schemes.

Account recovered 08-12-2019
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
My Name Was Taken

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 07:18:51 PM

So you're advancing the idea that because some people who used to own slaves eventually voted to abolish it, those people should be commended even though they first failed to reject slavery as evil when they had the first opportunity, thereby tolerating and partaking in an institution that destroyed hundreds of thousands of lives?

I'm not buying it.
duke1839

Activity: 143
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 11:40:46 PM

You probably thought I lost it but you will understand what I mean if you watch the end of the Stefan Molyneux's video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQJMLWx6og&list=UUC3L8QaxqEGUiBC252GHy3w

Molyneux is very direct but after you are shocked by what he is saying you usually start thinking that what he is saying make a lot of sense; in this video, he is talking about the fact that slavery was present in every culture and most countries for thousands of years : Africa, Americas, Middle East, Asia and Europe until Europeans fought to abolish it, yet we still hear that the White Europeans were the biggest bad guys concerning slavery and should feel ashamed when they should be praised if anything

This is a better Stefan Molyneux video regarding slavery https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31E1gHowYcA&src_vid=auQJMLWx6og&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_4223755883

This one goes into more detail and busts a number of myths when it comes to slavery.

1839REgeNTM2b84byywinp3BjtWdEqw27x
boumalo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 12:11:24 AM

So you're advancing the idea that because some people who used to own slaves eventually voted to abolish it, those people should be commended even though they first failed to reject slavery as evil when they had the first opportunity, thereby tolerating and partaking in an institution that destroyed hundreds of thousands of lives?

I'm not buying it.

It is not only Europeans who had slaves but every culture and every region of the world; they didn't start it and the European are the first ones that abolished it and pushed for the abolition in other regions of the world, they are still the ones who fight the most against the horror of slavery

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 08:30:44 AM

I'm not buying it.
I am pretty sure the same logic can be applied to you...
What is stopping you from boycotting goods produced literally with modern slave labor in stead of buying items that pay people a decent living wage? Chances are you buy the cheapest product like most people, and because it is socially acceptable, you too support modern slavery. Now if someone might not be completely aware of this dynamic, this individual changing their behavior in favor of support of human rights is now suddenly not commendable because they once enjoyed a higher standard of living at the expense of others? I argue that you yourself are doing the very same thing right now, only with a lot less awareness of how your habits cause human suffering. You should probably check your judgment lest ye be judged. IMO some one doing wrong, admitting it, and changing their behavior shows a lot more strength than the person that pretends they aren't perpetrators (you).
boumalo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 11:16:47 AM

I'm not buying it.
What is stopping you from boycotting goods produced literally with modern slave labor in stead of buying items that pay people a decent living wage? Chances are you buy the cheapest product like most people, and because it is socially acceptable, you too support modern slavery. Now if someone might not be completely aware of this dynamic, this individual changing their behavior in favor of support of human rights is now suddenly not commendable because they once enjoyed a higher standard of living at the expense of others? I argue that you yourself are doing the very same thing right now, only with a lot less awareness of how your habits cause human suffering. You should probably check your judgment lest ye be judged. IMO some one doing wrong, admitting it, and changing their behavior shows a lot more strength than the person that pretends they aren't perpetrators (you).

It is good for the poor country to have companies that invest money in the country and employ people that would have done a worse job instead and can now better support their family

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 12:38:21 PM

Why bother with east and west when it's already divided in two opossing classes. Have we switched places on this topic?  Cheesy Wink

Anarchist economics are an interesting topic, I wouldn't be happy with either currency or bartering. If you are interested in this subject I think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchist_economics is a good introduction, especially the experiments during the spanish revolution.

Not to be harsh but I would never put the words anarcho and capitalist together, how this has happened is beyond me. Voluntarism I guess is a part of this tradition?

I you like a real bloody sect of anarchism I have always liked the russian nihilists http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilist_movement  Wink

Anarcho-syndicalism basically just put the words anarcho and capitalist together Smiley. Actually a good idea. As I came from a former so called "communist" country I think that the two main reasons of the fall of the soviet type communism were: ignoring the market, and attempting to control every segment of the society.

P2P economy  is an other thing where anarchism and capitalism comes together... and this is the point where BTC or other cryptos can be the best way to completely eliminate the last bastions of state control.
awesome31312

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 01:22:16 PM

I think we all need to get rid of books and schools because they have a liberal bias, and instead watch more Stefan Molyneux videos. If only more people did this, they would understand white people for the heroes they are

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 01:53:06 PM

I think we all need to get rid of books and schools because they have a liberal bias, and instead watch more Stefan Molyneux videos. If only more people did this, they would understand white people for the heroes they are

Actually you are right about the liberal stuff Smiley.
You know since Cyrus the Great back in the 6th century BC nobody else really did anything to abolish slavery. Then the dreaded evil white man come along and just abolished it. ...and they had the power and the will to force this abolishment across the globe. Not the indians the arabs or your fellow black bros in Africa, but that fckin' white man. If we didn't do that, then you guys would be still listed in the commodities section in some arab or african countries. I'd encourage you to learn a bit of history.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 02:09:49 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2014, 04:32:18 PM by TECSHARE

I'm not buying it.

It is good for the poor country to have companies that invest money in the country and employ people that would have done a worse job instead and can now better support their family
I'm not talking about sweat shops. I am talking about literal slavery. Did you know more African American males are in forced servitude now than ever before in US history?
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 02:15:58 PM

Praising white people for ending slavery is like praising white people for freeing the scribes from copying books (coincidentally around the time the printing press came about).

Slavery in its previous form would have ended because of the technology that was able to overcome the need for it.

But there is still slavery, just in a different form. People with power still use that power to control those without it.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
My Name Was Taken

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 03:00:10 PM

I'm not buying it.

I'm not talking about sweat sops. I am talking about literal slavery. Did you know more African American males are in forced servitude now than ever before in US history?

First, what logic can be applied to me? OP said we should praise white Europeans for abolishing slavery, and I said no, you can't claim credit for eventually getting rid of an evil you started. Then you come along and say "the same logic can be applied to you, you support slavery." You're not responding to anything I said with your attack. The only thing I said was white people don't get credit for abolishing slavery after they ruined so many lives with it.

Second, your attack is a lot of unsubstantiated garbage. Please find common products sold in the US that are made "literally with modern slave labor." Be specific, the fact that clothes come from a country that is known to use slave labor is not evidence it was produced with slave labor. Further, clothes is a category, not a specific product. You will quickly see that your over-generalization breaks down when you get specific, because if there were products known to be created with forced labor, they wouldn't be for sale in the US for the public and political outrage, not to mention the damage it would do any US company to be associated with actual forced labor.

And to reiterate your point, we're not talking about sweat shops, we're talking about a product made with forced servitude of a human being without recompense for the profit of a corporation, sold in the US and that I might reasonably buy, since you're so adamant that I'm supporting slavery in the modern age, which again was an attack you just lobbed out of nowhere, because it was not in response to anything I said.

And finally, if we just accept your charge at face value, do you realize that the argument that developed nations still indirectly support slavery in the developing world strengthens my point that there's nothing prideful about the western world's track record on slavery?
duke1839

Activity: 143
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:09:53 PM

First, what logic can be applied to me? OP said we should praise white Europeans for abolishing slavery, and I said no, you can't claim credit for eventually getting rid of an evil you started. Then you come along and say "the same logic can be applied to you, you support slavery." You're not responding to anything I said with your attack. The only thing I said was white people don't get credit for abolishing slavery after they ruined so many lives with it.

The people that got rid of slavery were not the same ones that started it.  And there is no evidence that whites started slavery.  Slavery was a global phenomenon.  White people did not march into Africa to capture slaves unless they had a death wish.  Blacks captured black slaves and sold them to people of all color including other blacks and Arabs.  The Mid East slave trade was 100 times more brutal than the American slave trade.  If you were a slave captured in Africa you hoped you were going west to work on a farm and not east to be castrated and then die in a war.

1839REgeNTM2b84byywinp3BjtWdEqw27x
awesome31312

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:14:32 PM

The people that got rid of slavery were not the same ones that started it.  And there is no evidence that whites started slavery.  Slavery was a global phenomenon.  White people did not march into Africa to capture slaves unless they had a death wish.  Blacks captured black slaves and sold them to people of all color including other blacks and Arabs.  The Mid East slave trade was 100 times more brutal than the American slave trade.  If you were a slave captured in Africa you hoped you were going west to work on a farm and not east to be castrated and then die in a war.

White people were the first to start race based slavery, and America was the only nation that fought a civil war over it.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 04:54:17 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2014, 06:42:22 PM by TECSHARE

I'm not buying it.

I'm not talking about sweat shops. I am talking about literal slavery. Did you know more African American males are in forced servitude now than ever before in US history?

Second, your attack is a lot of unsubstantiated garbage. Please find common products sold in the US that are made "literally with modern slave labor." Be specific, the fact that clothes come from a country that is known to use slave labor is not evidence it was produced with slave labor. Further, clothes is a category, not a specific product. You will quickly see that your over-generalization breaks down when you get specific, because if there were products known to be created with forced labor, they wouldn't be for sale in the US for the public and political outrage, not to mention the damage it would do any US company to be associated with actual forced labor.

And to reiterate your point, we're not talking about sweat shops, we're talking about a product made with forced servitude of a human being without recompense for the profit of a corporation, sold in the US and that I might reasonably buy, since you're so adamant that I'm supporting slavery in the modern age, which again was an attack you just lobbed out of nowhere, because it was not in response to anything I said.

And finally, if we just accept your charge at face value, do you realize that the argument that developed nations still indirectly support slavery in the developing world strengthens my point that there's nothing prideful about the western world's track record on slavery?

First of all this was not an attack but simply applying the same standards to you, that you casually apply to an entire race of people (gee that's not at all racist). White people didn't invent slavery, additionally even if you buy this disingenuous presumption by no means did the same people who brought the system into use, end it. People were born into the system, realized its flaws, had the power to change the system, and changed it accordingly. Just the same way you were born into a system that uses forced labor and remain ignorant of it while criticizing an entire race of people for the same injustice. As far as slavery in the "western world", I think you will find if you bother to look that slavery is STILL a global phenomenon, not just reserved for the west. A right doesn't erase a wrong and a wrong doesn't erase a right. Millions of people gave their lives to see that slavery was ended, and at great economic cost. Discounting that is quite arrogant and an affront to the people who actually struggled to end slavery.

As far as products using forced labor in the US, you are quite incorrect. Products produced with forced captive labor are sold and manufactured all over the US. Here is an abridged list of corporations that profit directly from forced labor:

BANKS: American General Financial Group, American Express Company, Bank of America, Community Financial Services Corporation, Credit Card Coalition, Credit Union National Association, Inc., Fidelity Inestments, Harris Trust & Savings Bank, Household International, LaSalle National Bank, J.P. Morgan & Company, Non-Bank Funds Transmitters Group

ENERGY PRODUCERS/OIL
: American Petroleum Institute, Amoco Corporation, ARCO, BP America, Inc., Caltex Petroleum, Chevron Corporation, ExxonMobil Corporation, Mobil Oil Corporation, Phillips Petroleum Company.

ENERGY PRODUCERS/UTILITIES
: American Electric Power Association, American Gas Association, Center for Energy and Economic Development, Commonwealth Edison Company, Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc., Edison Electric Institute, Independent Power Producers of New York, Koch Industries, Inc., Mid-American Energy Company, Natural Gas Supply Association, PG&E Corporation/PG&E National Energy Group, U.S. Generating Company.

INSURANCE: Alliance of American Insurers, Allstate Insurance Company, American Council of Life Insurance, American Insurance Association, Blue Cross and Blue Shield Corporation, Coalition for Asbestos Justice, (This organization was formed in October 2000 to explore new judicial approaches to asbestos litigation." Its members include ACE-USA, Chubb & Son, CNA service mark companies, Fireman's Fund Insurance Company, Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc., Kemper Insurance Companies, Liberty Mutual Insurance Group, and St. Paul Fire and Marine Insurance Company. Counsel to the coalition is Victor E. Schwartz of the law firm of Crowell & Moring in Washington, D.C., a longtime ALEC ally.)
Fortis Health, GEICO, Golden Rule Insurance Company, Guarantee Trust Life Insurance, MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company, National Association of Independent Insurers, Nationwide Insurance/National Financial, State Farm Insurance Companies, Wausau Insurance Companies, Zurich Insurance.

PHARMACEUTICALS: Abbott Laboratories, Aventis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Bayer Corporation, Eli Lilly & Company, GlaxoSmithKline, Glaxo Wellcome, Inc., Hoffman-LaRoche, Inc., Merck & Company, Inc., Pfizer, Inc., Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of
America (PhRMA), Pharmacia Corporation, Rhone-Poulenc Rorer, Inc., Schering-Plough Corporation, Smith, Kline & French, WYETH, a division of American Home Products Corporation.

MANUFACTURING:American Plastics Council, Archer Daniels Midland Corporation, AutoZone, Inc. (aftermarket automotive parts), Cargill, Inc., Caterpillar, Inc., Chlorine Chemistry Council, Deere & Company, Fruit of the Loom, Grocery Manufacturers of America, Inland Steel Industries, Inc., International Game Technology, International Paper, Johnson & Johnson, Keystone Automotive Industries, Motorola, Inc., Procter & Gamble, Sara Lee Corporation.

TELECOMMUNICATIONS
: AT&T, Ameritech, BellSouth Telecommunications, Inc., GTE Corporation, MCI, National Cable and Telecommunications Association, SBC Communications, Inc., Sprint, UST Public Affairs, Inc., Verizon Communications, Inc.

TRANSPORTATION: Air Transport Association of America, American Trucking Association, The Boeing Company, United Airlines, United Parcel Service (UPS).

OTHER U.S. COMPANIES: Amway Corporation, Cabot Sedgewick, Cendant Corporation, Corrections Corporation of America, Dresser Industries, Federated Department Stores, International Gold Corporation, Mary Kay Cosmetics, Microsoft Corporation, Newmont Mining Corporation, Quaker Oats, Sears, Roebuck & Company, Service Corporation International, Taxpayers Network, Inc., Turner Construction, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

ORGANIZATIONS/ASSOCIATIONS
: Adolph Coors Foundation, Ameritech Foundation, Bell & Howell Foundation, Carthage Foundation, Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation, ELW Foundation, Grocery Manufacturers of America, Heartland Institute of Chicago, The Heritage Foundation, Iowans for Tax Relief, Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation of Milwaukee, National Pork Producers Association, National Rifle Association, Olin Foundation, Roe Foundation, Scaiffe Foundation, Shell Oil Company Foundation, Smith Richardson Foundation, Steel Recycling Institute, Tax Education Support Organization, Texas Educational Foundation, UPS Foundation.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/12/14/928611/-INSOURCING-Identifying-businesses-involved-in-prison-labor-or-supporting-those-who-are
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/10/prison-labor_n_2272036.html
http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-prison-industry-in-the-united-states-big-business-or-a-new-form-of-slavery/8289
http://teamsternation.blogspot.com/2013/05/corporations-using-prison-labor-to-grab.html
http://www.alternet.org/story/151732/21st-century_slaves%3A_how_corporations_exploit_prison_labor
My Name Was Taken

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 08:08:36 PM

I'm not buying it.

First of all this was not an attack but simply applying the same standards to you, that you casually apply to an entire race of people (gee that's not at all racist). White people didn't invent slavery, additionally even if you buy this disingenuous presumption by no means did the same people who brought the system into use, end it. People were born into the system, realized its flaws, had the power to change the system, and changed it accordingly. Just the same way you were born into a system that uses forced labor and remain ignorant of it while criticizing an entire race of people for the same injustice. As far as slavery in the "western world", I think you will find if you bother to look that slavery is STILL a global phenomenon, not just reserved for the west. A right doesn't erase a wrong and a wrong doesn't erase a right. Millions of people gave their lives to see that slavery was ended, and at great economic cost. Discounting that is quite arrogant and an affront to the people who actually struggled to end slavery.

As far as products using forced labor in the US, you are quite incorrect. Products produced with forced captive labor are sold and manufactured all over the US. Here is an abridged list of corporations that profit directly from forced labor:

BANKS: American General Financial Group, American Express Company, Bank of America, Community Financial Services Corporation, Credit Card Coalition, Credit Union National Association, Inc., Fidelity Inestments, Harris Trust & Savings Bank, Household International, LaSalle National Bank, J.P. Morgan & Company, Non-Bank Funds Transmitters Group

ENERGY PRODUCERS/OIL
: American Petroleum Institute, Amoco Corporation, ARCO, BP America, Inc., Caltex Petroleum, Chevron Corporation, ExxonMobil Corporation, Mobil Oil Corporation, Phillips Petroleum Company.

ENERGY PRODUCERS/UTILITIES
: American Electric Power Association, American Gas Association, Center for Energy and Economic Development, Commonwealth Edison Company, Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc., Edison Electric Institute, Independent Power Producers of New York, Koch Industries, Inc., Mid-American Energy Company, Natural Gas Supply Association, PG&E Corporation/PG&E National Energy Group, U.S. Generating Company.

INSURANCE: Alliance of American Insurers, Allstate Insurance Company, American Council of Life Insurance, American Insurance Association, Blue Cross and Blue Shield Corporation, Coalition for Asbestos Justice, (This organization was formed in October 2000 to explore new judicial approaches to asbestos litigation." Its members include ACE-USA, Chubb & Son, CNA service mark companies, Fireman's Fund Insurance Company, Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc., Kemper Insurance Companies, Liberty Mutual Insurance Group, and St. Paul Fire and Marine Insurance Company. Counsel to the coalition is Victor E. Schwartz of the law firm of Crowell & Moring in Washington, D.C., a longtime ALEC ally.)
Fortis Health, GEICO, Golden Rule Insurance Company, Guarantee Trust Life Insurance, MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company, National Association of Independent Insurers, Nationwide Insurance/National Financial, State Farm Insurance Companies, Wausau Insurance Companies, Zurich Insurance.

PHARMACEUTICALS: Abbott Laboratories, Aventis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Bayer Corporation, Eli Lilly & Company, GlaxoSmithKline, Glaxo Wellcome, Inc., Hoffman-LaRoche, Inc., Merck & Company, Inc., Pfizer, Inc., Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of
America (PhRMA), Pharmacia Corporation, Rhone-Poulenc Rorer, Inc., Schering-Plough Corporation, Smith, Kline & French, WYETH, a division of American Home Products Corporation.

MANUFACTURING:American Plastics Council, Archer Daniels Midland Corporation, AutoZone, Inc. (aftermarket automotive parts), Cargill, Inc., Caterpillar, Inc., Chlorine Chemistry Council, Deere & Company, Fruit of the Loom, Grocery Manufacturers of America, Inland Steel Industries, Inc., International Game Technology, International Paper, Johnson & Johnson, Keystone Automotive Industries, Motorola, Inc., Procter & Gamble, Sara Lee Corporation.

TELECOMMUNICATIONS
: AT&T, Ameritech, BellSouth Telecommunications, Inc., GTE Corporation, MCI, National Cable and Telecommunications Association, SBC Communications, Inc., Sprint, UST Public Affairs, Inc., Verizon Communications, Inc.

TRANSPORTATION: Air Transport Association of America, American Trucking Association, The Boeing Company, United Airlines, United Parcel Service (UPS).

OTHER U.S. COMPANIES: Amway Corporation, Cabot Sedgewick, Cendant Corporation, Corrections Corporation of America, Dresser Industries, Federated Department Stores, International Gold Corporation, Mary Kay Cosmetics, Microsoft Corporation, Newmont Mining Corporation, Quaker Oats, Sears, Roebuck & Company, Service Corporation International, Taxpayers Network, Inc., Turner Construction, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

ORGANIZATIONS/ASSOCIATIONS
: Adolph Coors Foundation, Ameritech Foundation, Bell & Howell Foundation, Carthage Foundation, Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation, ELW Foundation, Grocery Manufacturers of America, Heartland Institute of Chicago, The Heritage Foundation, Iowans for Tax Relief, Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation of Milwaukee, National Pork Producers Association, National Rifle Association, Olin Foundation, Roe Foundation, Scaiffe Foundation, Shell Oil Company Foundation, Smith Richardson Foundation, Steel Recycling Institute, Tax Education Support Organization, Texas Educational Foundation, UPS Foundation.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/12/14/928611/-INSOURCING-Identifying-businesses-involved-in-prison-labor-or-supporting-those-who-are
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/10/prison-labor_n_2272036.html
http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-prison-industry-in-the-united-states-big-business-or-a-new-form-of-slavery/8289
http://teamsternation.blogspot.com/2013/05/corporations-using-prison-labor-to-grab.html
http://www.alternet.org/story/151732/21st-century_slaves%3A_how_corporations_exploit_prison_labor

Not one of those links provides any evidence that any products I buy was made with slave labor. In a desperate attempt at relevancy, and because your original point has no merit whatsoever, you've posted links about prison labor, which is not slave labor. I am in no way defending prison labor, I find the practice a terrible confluence of political corruption and corporatism, but prison labor is in no way slave labor by virtue of the fact that you have a choice about going to prison by not breaking the law. As to your original claim that I am supporting slave labor through the products I buy, you have nothing, which is why you are grasping at straws. Further, you have not provided a shred of evidence that any of the corporations you posted use slave labor except your insinuation that they do.

As for the rest of your response, since you cannot follow simple logical arguments, I'm going to have to disengage you. You did not address my points, but rather continue to address points I did not make. For example, OP says white Europeans should be commended for their actions on slavery. Note that OP starts the thread by generalizing on behalf of an entire race of people (which you then attribute the generalization based on race to me). I point out the logic fail of giving credit to a whole race of people who first tolerated the evil institution they eventually abolished, for which OP seeks commendation for. Then you come in telling me I support slavery (seriously, wtf?) and that white people didn't start slavery (irrelevant and my point was misunderstood by you- it doesn't matter what race started the practice of slavery, the fact is that at one point European society did not have institutionalized slave labor, and then at some point it begins, and when it begins, people tolerate it-- that is what I mean by the start of slavery in Europe, not that white people started slavery). Then later you state "by no means did the same people who brought the system into use, end it", which you still  fail to realize REITERATES MY ORIGINAL POINT, which you then proceed to argue against.

For these reasons and the fact that you have not posted anything meriting further engagement and I do not anticipate you will, I'm out. Good day, and good luck to you.   Smiley
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 04:03:49 AM

So the fact that there are more African Americans engaged in force labor than ever in US history isn't an issue to you?
Lets look at the definition of slavery and see if forced prison labor falls under this definition:

Slavery-
1 :  drudgery, toil  -check
2 :  submission to a dominating influence  - check
a :  the state of a person who is a chattel of another   - check
b :  the practice of slaveholding        -check                 

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slavery

I know this may be a completely shocking concept to you but not everyone that goes to prison is a criminal. Additionally most of the "criminals" are there for nonviolent drug possession. I guess the fact that predominantly minorities fill the prison system is just a coincidence right?  Additionally even if you don't give a shit about these "criminals" it still effects you, because when they don't have to pay a prisoner to work, that means more jobs disappear from the available occupations. Additionally it drives the wages of the rest of the existing jobs down. Forced prison labor is equivalent to slavery, and by that metric the US has more slaves than ever in history, and it is quite profitable for those exploiting it.
awesome31312

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:45:14 AM

What other country had race based slavery where they treated the workers like cattle?

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 04:59:53 AM

What other country had race based slavery where they treated the workers like cattle?
You are really REALLY arguing that the US invented raced based slavery? I guess ancient Egypt doesn't count...
awesome31312

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 07:22:07 AM

You are really REALLY arguing that the US invented raced based slavery? I guess ancient Egypt doesn't count...

Did Ancient Egyptians own slaves in the 19th century?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: