Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 11:05:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Services Like Coinapult Are A Threat To Your Privacy  (Read 3074 times)
bluemeanie1 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 09:25:56 PM

well Circle is a US company and your information is protected by US Federal law(true for any Credit Card processor).  Not so for Panama-based Coinbase.

WTF are you talking about? The FBI and NSA are actively storing all emails and transactions despite any 4th amendment protections you may assume you have. I don't trust any government with this data, but would much rather have it stored in some Panamanian data center for a few days rather than in Utah for 100 years.

you would rather have your personal id information including Bitcoin activity in some private database in panama that can be freely marketed to ANY PARTY?

can you please explain the logic here?

You are trying to vilify me (not sure why)

please Erik, I'm not trying to vilify you.  My posts are 100% about security problems with Coinapult.  Someone mentioned above that you renounced your American citizenship.  That person is wrong.  

Do you think the information on bitcointalk.org is accurate?

ps. awesome forum avatar

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 09:43:00 PM

that's an interesting way to end a discussion that shows your viewpoints are actually anti-privacy and anti-individualism.

Holy shit.... look at your post and trust history!

You are either bat-shit crazy or an annoying troll. Either way I'm going to take your advice, end the discussion and block you altogether.

read more about why this user is so mad and can't contain his furious anger : http://blog.bluemeanie.net

Keyser Soze

Activity: 470
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 10:04:50 PM

When purchasing physical goods online, do you have an issue with providing the retailer your shipping information?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 10:06:12 PM

well Circle is a US company and your information is protected by US Federal law(true for any Credit Card processor).  Not so for Panama-based Coinbase.

WTF are you talking about? The FBI and NSA are actively storing all emails and transactions despite any 4th amendment protections you may assume you have. I don't trust any government with this data, but would much rather have it stored in some Panamanian data center for a few days rather than in Utah for 100 years.

you would rather have your personal id information including Bitcoin activity in some private database in panama that can be freely marketed to ANY PARTY?

please Erik, I'm not trying to vilify you.  My posts are 100% about security problems with Coinapult.  Someone mentioned above that you renounced your American citizenship.  That person is wrong.  

ps. awesome forum avatar

Read: http://bit-post.com/top-influential-bitcoiners-to-follow-on-twitter/

bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 10:07:55 PM

When purchasing physical goods online, do you have an issue with providing the retailer your shipping information?

in the case of major retailers there are laws about what they can do with that data.

Coinapult has no such restrictions.  They don't believe in laws at all actually.  You can read Erik's tweets about that.

bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 10:10:06 PM

ps. awesome forum avatar

Read: http://bit-post.com/top-influential-bitcoiners-to-follow-on-twitter/

THANKS!  Erik what do you say to this?   Internet hearsay?

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 10:33:38 PM

My posts are 100% about security problems with Coinapult.  

THANKS!  Erik what do you say to this?   Internet hearsay?

Looks like your posts aren't 100% about security problems with Coinapult.

And I already answered the question. I did not renounce US citizenship, and can confirm the US Federal Government is still stealing my property and using it to kill and imprison peaceful people.
Keyser Soze

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 10:34:55 PM

in the case of major retailers there are laws about what they can do with that data.

Coinapult has no such restrictions.  They don't believe in laws at all actually.  You can read Erik's tweets about that.
How would you know if a major retailer is violating their country's laws and selling your information anyway?

Coinapult's privacy policy states they will not share a user's personal information with any third parties without consent. Why do you think they are dishonest? Or do you just have a personal vendetta against Erik and/or Coinapult?
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 10:38:24 PM

E-commerce privacy laws are fairly complex.  You can be sure major retailers like Amazon or Overstock adhere to them.

Financial privacy and disclosure laws are even MORE complex.  You can be sure American companies adhere to them.  You can NOT be sure that eg. Swiss or Panamanian companies adhere to them.

US and Germany arguably have the most extensive consumer protection laws in this area.  So if you want a safe transaction, go with a US or German based E-commerce firm.

Keyser Soze

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 10:46:38 PM

E-commerce privacy laws are fairly complex.  You can be sure major retailers like Amazon or Overstock adhere to them.

Financial privacy and disclosure laws are even MORE complex.  You can be sure American companies adhere to them.  You can NOT be sure that eg. Swiss or Panamanian companies adhere to them.

US and Germany arguably have the most extensive consumer protection laws in this area.  So if you want a safe transaction, go with a US or German based E-commerce firm.
So why single out Coinapult, is there something about them specifically that makes you think they are dishonest? Obviously they are not the only e-commerce based firm outside of US or Germany.
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 10:50:20 PM

I'm not singling out anyone.

Voorhees is a major vocal opponent of Bitlicense- this tends to give some background to his statements.

Someone could move to NYC, build a similar service to Coinapult where users don't have to be concerned about the owners wholesaling their private data.

Keyser Soze

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 10:58:28 PM

I'm not singling out anyone.

Voorhees is a major vocal opponent of Bitlicense- this tends to give some background to his statements.

Someone could move to NYC, build a similar service to Coinapult where users don't have to be concerned about the owners wholesaling their private data.
Sure you are, the thread title, main post and blog you linked are all about Coinapult. If the issue is with all e-commerce firms outside of US and Germany, why focus on one specific company?
Balkhole

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 11:11:02 PM

So why single out Coinapult, is there something about them specifically that makes you think they are dishonest? Obviously they are not the only e-commerce based firm outside of US or Germany.
There are many services that will not allow customers to enjoy the same level of anon that many bitcoin users tend to want and enjoy.

The reality is that companies are going to have to disclose they did business with you if the amount transacted is large enough
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 11:34:52 PM

I would trust Coinapult more than Coinbase for the
very reason that Coinbase is under the jurisdiction
of the good ol US of A.

bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 12:04:37 AM

I would trust Coinapult more than Coinbase for the
very reason that Coinbase is under the jurisdiction
of the good ol US of A.

you would trust a Panamanian jurisdiction over an American one?

http://www.panama-guide.com/index.php?topic=drugs

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 12:23:20 AM

And where do you think all that cocaine is heading?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 12:29:43 AM

The United States government is the biggest threat to privacy by far.
That's why people like Edward Snowden are heroes.

bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 01:13:20 AM

And where do you think all that cocaine is heading?

Rick James?

Coinapult

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 01:19:10 AM

'Murica, The Land of The Free. Where the government respects individual rights so much, they force American companies to violate foreign privacy laws. How does the German government feel about the privacy they have with American companies?

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2014/0627/Germany-moves-to-kick-out-Verizon-citing-concerns-of-US-spying

Taken more broadly, Germany's decision underscores the trend that attitudes toward US spying are getting worse, not better, causing worry among US technology companies, as Microsoft's General Counsel Brad Smith said in a conference last week.

"There's been a real economic backlash as well as a political backlash," says Elizabeth Goiten, co-director of the Brennan Center for Justice’s Liberty and National Security program at New York University Law School.

How about those American companies? Do they think these laws protect their customers, or are they closing down or moving to protect their users?

Silent Circle, another American company which had offered encrypted email – where messages stored on its server would be unreadable – also announced on Thursday that it was ending its "Silent Mail" service, "to prevent spying".

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/09/lavabit-email-edward-snowden-shuts-down

Coinapult.com - Crushing Payment Obstacles
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 01:27:18 AM

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: