Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:27:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I buy with $100 worth of BTC?  (Read 2528 times)
TizzyTazzy (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 09:18:19 AM

Give me some ideas.  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 09:30:16 AM

how about $200 worth of btc Cheesy
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 12:24:33 PM

Diablo 3 gold?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 12:28:46 PM

Some of my polo shirts or stickers of course!

http://cryptoanarchy.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

Some Bees Brothers honey caramels.  These things are really good!  

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60863.0

Kris
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 12:31:30 PM

Invest in WalletBit?
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 12:34:28 PM

GLBSE stock Smiley

This is probably your best bet. Mining bonds and whatnot will get you some steady returns.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 12:35:26 PM

Invest in WalletBit?

great. how to proceed ?

Kris
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 12:51:40 PM

Invest in WalletBit?

great. how to proceed ?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82255.0
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 01:22:59 PM

I don't like your title.  You should just say what should I buy with 20 BTC (or however much you have).

Don't continue to peg BTC to USD. It should start to be able to have innate value separate from other currencies.

If people are curious about buying USD with BTC, then that'll be one of the suggestions...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 01:27:30 PM

Edit: I misread the title as "Why should I buy $100 worth of BTC" …I thought the OP was pondering what reasons one would have for possessing Bitcoin.  I suppose that still could have been the reason for the question.

It's an excellent question, but I think investment opportunities shouldn't be allowed as answers.  That's not to say that there aren't good investment opportunities (including Bitcoin itself), but it's important that Bitcoin be used for actual commerce.  It's possible that Bitcoin's monetary properties will make it worth holding regardless of whether it's ever used directly for much commerce.  It could prove to be an effective store of value even if merchants never directly accept it on a broad basis.  In my opinion that's a compelling reason to hold some Bitcoin, but Bitcoin will be much more compelling if there are plenty of commerce based reasons for holding some of it.  I also think you should disallow answers regarding speculation about future commercial uses of Bitcoin.  Here are a couple of commerce based reasons for having a few Bitcoins right now:

- to buy drugs on silk road …ok, I had to throw that one out there Wink
- to buy VPN services if you live in a part of the world that has restrictive firewalls for accessing the internet
- an easy way to pay people for services, or settle debts, without being subjected to limited banking hours, or handling paper checks, or waiting days for electronic payments to clear, or paying outrageous fees for international wires
- to save money on a purchase where Bitcoin sales are discounted due to the higher fees/risks that merchants have with other payment options
- to buy goods and services from eCommerce sites if you happen to live in an area where other payment options are cost prohibitive or outright impossible (there are many countries from which eCommerce websites either cannot accept credit card payments, or the fees are ridiculously high…like 20% high)
- to make purchases without divulging bank account or credit card information that could be stolen from a merchant with poor security practices

There are a lot of things that can be bought with Bitcoin, but not necessarily exclusively with Bitcoin or where Bitcoin offers any particular advantage over other payment methods.  I also think that the unique properties and capabilities of Bitcoin transactions will make it a compelling tool for many types of transactions in the future, but that's speculation about the future commercial uses of Bitcoin.  I also didn't list illegal uses of Bitcoin (aside from silk road) because if the predominant use of Bitcoin is for illegal activity, then Bitcoin will never see widespread use outside of criminal organizations.

What else can be added to this list that isn't speculation about the future utility of Bitcoin, that isn't investment oriented and that isn't illegal in nature?  The longer this list is, the better off Bitcoin will be.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 01:35:21 PM

You can also invest it in your business. Graphic design for your website, advertising, and possibly developing a new or enhancing an existing aspect of your services can be done for BTC.

Still around.
SpontaneousDisorder

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 02:05:23 PM

$500 worth of bit.. oh wait.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 03:56:14 PM

I don't like your title.  You should just say what should I buy with 20 BTC (or however much you have).

Don't continue to peg BTC to USD. It should start to be able to have innate value separate from other currencies.

Quoting the value of BTC in terms of USD is not the same as "pegging it". BTC will always have a USD price, just as USD will always have a EUR price, or EUR will always have a BTC price. Trying to separate one from exchange rates with the others is futile.

I hope that some day people will have a "feeling" of how much 1 BTC is worth without pondering about the dollar conversion, but this will take many years and can't happen until Bitcoin's exchange rate holds stable for extended periods of time.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 08:15:17 PM

Buy 20 of these at BitMit:

http://bitmit.net/en/trade/i/2816-high-fashion-mesh-socks/description

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
dinker

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 08:30:09 PM

Sell it for cash then buy more BTCs.

Help Me Help You Donations:
14kP6tNtrz3woESs9nEE5aDB81QTybGyyZ
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 12:02:06 AM

Place some bets on betsofbitcoin Smiley

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 02:49:25 AM

Some Bees Brothers honey caramels.  These things are really good!  

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60863.0

+1

GLBSE stock Smiley

Cognitive, specifically Wink

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 03:50:32 AM

go 5 to 1 long on bitcoincia and double your money in no time!!!

no one loled, too soon?

lol

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
dirtycat

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 04:06:13 AM

buy drugs!

poop!
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 04:57:24 AM

Toss them at someone on the other end of a web-cam to get them to do specific things to their bodies while you milk yourself dry.

---

Actually, when I had this problem, I choose to give them to ~goat (new name now) who had some involvement with an organization in Thailand aimed at helping out kids who drew short straws in life.  You might try something like that to if that's more your thing.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: