Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 04:28:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PAYPAL FOUNDER PETER THIEL: “BITCOIN IS THE OPPOSITE OF PAYPAL”  (Read 3292 times)
RappelzReborn (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:54:23 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 07:44:42 PM by RappelzReborn

Didn't paypal said that they will start using bitcoin ? etc. ? Shocked
outch
Bitcoin is the opposite of PayPal, in the sense that it actually succeeded in creating a currency,” he said.  “However, its payment system is lacking, and it is often used to make illegal transactions, such as to buy heroin. Until Bitcoin is used to make more legal transactions, I am a bit skeptical.

Source here : https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/paypal-founder-peter-thiel-bitcoin-opposite-paypal/

EDIT (more interessting things about bitcoin & paypal) :

http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/paypal-accepts-bitcoin-games-ringtones-and-music-purchases-160347
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/PayPal-Forward/PayPal-and-Virtual-Currency/ba-p/828230

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:00:58 PM

The drug argument once again, and yet I've read that nearly every U.S dollar bill in circulation has trace amounts of cocaine on it.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:07:57 PM

The drug argument once again, and yet I've read that nearly every U.S dollar bill in circulation has trace amounts of cocaine on it.

This is amazing  Roll Eyes , why they don't want to use/integrate bitcoin ? I think because they  are frightened about this new peer-to-peer electronic cash system ... and what do you think guys ?
RCan06

Activity: 325
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:13:51 PM

Yeah it's a silly argument. People buy drugs, criminals use Bitcoin just like criminals use ANY fiat currency. Give monetary value to water and it'll probably be traded for drugs within no time....

The way in which you will see "Bitcoin used to make more legal transactions" is by having more globally mainstream sites like paypal accept Bitcoin. Regardless there are still many legal transactions with bitcoin already, there are multiple (55-65) locations around my city that accept Bitcoin, that's not too shabby for a 5 year old currency.

Though maybe this is a good reason to have a popular anon alt coin be used heavily in the drug market scene, allowing bitcoin to appeal more to the mainstream (yet still easily traded for other alts). Allows for less arguments against bitcoin directly.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:48:33 PM

Yeah it's a silly argument. People buy drugs, criminals use Bitcoin just like criminals use ANY fiat currency. Give monetary value to water and it'll probably be traded for drugs within no time....

Indeed.

Though maybe this is a good reason to have a popular anon alt coin be used heavily in the drug market scene, allowing bitcoin to appeal more to the mainstream (yet still easily traded for other alts). Allows for less arguments against bitcoin directly.

That would be subjugating Bitcoin to the silly argument and is totally wrong. We don't need to market Bitcoin to idiotic statist control freaks. People need to think free again. It's impossible to root out all evil. Bitcoin is neutral technology and is beyond moral judgement.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
TonyT

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:52:46 PM

LOL why does Thiel use heroin as an example?  I would think pot is more common.  Sounds like he's trying to scare people.  Also wasn't he a founder of PayPal?  Yes.  So he has a vested interest in keeping his pals at PayPal happy (I'm sure he has friends there, even if he sold his stock).

TonyT
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 08:43:14 PM

LOL why does Thiel use heroin as an example?

My thoughts exactly, maybe he bought some recently and paid with bitcoin since they didnt accept paypal? Cheesy

I wish there would be more about the "lacking payment system". Its probably hinting at the time it takes for confirmation etc.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Jordan23

Activity: 382
Merit: 311

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 08:52:11 PM

The global drug trade is $400 billion. The Bitcoin marketcap is $5 billion. Paypal uses Dollars. Paypal supports heroin use. That's my logic and I'm sticking to it.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 08:55:25 PM

Bitcoin is the opposite of PayPal, in the sense that it actually succeeded in creating a currency,”...

Everybody is missing the best part of his quote:

Peter Thiel originally wanted Paypal to BE a 'digital currency' which helped protect people from unstable Gov't currencies. They succeeded at building a huge company, but failed at the original vision. He is giving BTC a big compliment by saying "it actually succeeded in creating a currency".

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 09:13:41 PM

It's a great compliment. Paypal isn't a great tool to buy heroin with, while Bitcoin is. Bitcoin is more fungible than paypal as it can be used to buy drugs and socks just the same.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 10:46:45 PM

They've been baiting the Bitcoin community for months now with promises of Bitcoin adoption, just ignore them.
Death

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 11:21:08 PM

It's a great compliment. Paypal isn't a great tool to buy heroin with, while Bitcoin is. Bitcoin is more fungible than paypal as it can be used to buy drugs and socks just the same.

i believe they call this freedom, something paypal can't offer.
mercistheman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 11:29:43 PM

Why would anyone expect paypal to say positive things about bitcoin?... it's a threat
PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 11:38:57 PM

What does he mean by "payment system is lacking"? Bitcoin is a payment system, blockchain is the ledger, various clients out there are the interface. I don't think he understands bitcoin.
wolfYella

Activity: 48

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 11:41:59 PM

This is a true statement. I would say that as a percentage of total trade, that drug trade makes up a much larger share of bitcoin trade then the drug trade makes up of dollar trade
Ovum

Activity: 34

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 11:53:28 PM

Bitcoin is the opposite of PayPal, in the sense that it actually succeeded in creating a currency,”...

Everybody is missing the best part of his quote:

Peter Thiel originally wanted Paypal to BE a 'digital currency' which helped protect people from unstable Gov't currencies. They succeeded at building a huge company, but failed at the original vision. He is giving BTC a big compliment by saying "it actually succeeded in creating a currency".

This, lots of people, even in bank positions are on our side, even if doesn't seem at first.
thew3apon

Activity: 784

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 11:57:23 PM

Paypal is going to integrate bitcoin soon and don't forget bitlicence is also coming..
Tumoko Sakate

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 12:00:30 AM

I really doubt paypal will ever accept BTC. It will be a very risky thing to do.  Undecided ...
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:11:56 AM

I could not agree more.

Bitcoin is the opposite of PayPal.

Let them keep their fiat and buyer protection!
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:14:45 AM

I could not agree more.

Bitcoin is the opposite of PayPal.

Let them keep their fiat and buyer protection!

We actually could use some better buttery protection options when transacting using BTC. We will definitely need it if we want more wide adoption
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: