Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:12:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone get the money back from Bitcoinica?  (Read 2992 times)
cnbtcnews (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 02:14:02 AM

Does anyone get the money back from Bitcoinica?

I have claimed since 2012.5.18, and now is 2012.5.23 .
There is no response from Bitcoinica until now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 03:27:16 AM

read around, were all in the same boat. I'm hoping that they will reimburse us, but at this point I'm starting to get worried that I may never see my precious dollars again.
cnbtcnews (OP)

Activity: 54

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 03:34:21 AM

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
snoleo

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

A Colt Crossed the River

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 04:51:35 AM

I claimed my accout at the same day and got nothing since now.

There is a large amount of dollar in there.....  Sad

btc123.com - bitcoin Info & Web directory
Dan The Man

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 10:58:49 PM

same, any idea how much they have manage to steal?
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 11:19:35 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2012, 11:36:36 PM by repentance

What is the point of making new new threads about this?  They've already said how the initial payments are going to be made and it's likely that they will start a new thread when those first payments are sent out.  They're also going to need additional information to validate many people's claims and they've given people instructions about how to submit that information.  If you want to blame someone for the delays, blame the people who've attempted to make fraudulent claims.

And nobody should be speculating with money they can't afford to lose or which they need access to for daily living expenses, whether they do it on regulated or unregulated exchanges.  A delay in processing of claims shouldn't have a significantly adverse effect on anyone who didn't unreasonably expose themselves to a risk they couldn't afford in the first place.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 12:01:12 AM

What is the point of making new new threads about this?  They've already said how the initial payments are going to be made and it's likely that they will start a new thread when those first payments are sent out.  They're also going to need additional information to validate many people's claims and they've given people instructions about how to submit that information.  If you want to blame someone for the delays, blame the people who've attempted to make fraudulent claims.

And nobody should be speculating with money they can't afford to lose or which they need access to for daily living expenses, whether they do it on regulated or unregulated exchanges.  A delay in processing of claims shouldn't have a significantly adverse effect on anyone who didn't unreasonably expose themselves to a risk they couldn't afford in the first place.

Just follow the time line please. When the OP started, bitcoinica still have not admit that they have no backup.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
shockD

Activity: 93

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 06:04:42 AM

Good luck with that, folks.

I still can't believe you all put significant amounts of money in there less than two months after they suffered a serious breach. And all the discussion since then has proven that they still did not take security seriously at all after that breach. Running on VPS? ffs. Perhaps you've learned a valuable lesson. Look into the infrastructure of sites holding your money in the future...
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 06:58:33 AM

I still can't believe you all put significant amounts of money in there less than two months after they suffered a serious breach. And all the discussion since then has proven that they still did not take security seriously at all after that breach. Running on VPS? ffs. Perhaps you've learned a valuable lesson. Look into the infrastructure of sites holding your money in the future...

+1. Bitcoin services should disclose that they do append-only backups both cross-datacenter and offsite. common sense and Redundancy 101 for bitcoin services!

But most importantly, keep your main stash of bitcoins offline!

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2012, 07:05:58 AM

+1. Bitcoin services should disclose that they do append-only backups both cross-datacenter and offsite. common sense and Redundancy 101 for bitcoin services!

I found out that this won't work, for once you stop one, 40 more pirates come along and take their place.

~Bruno~
shockD

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 08:18:44 AM

I found out that this won't work, for once you stop one, 40 more pirates come along and take their place.

~Bruno~

Honestly? ha, ok then... It didn't seem like a bad idea at all to put some more money in bitcoinica? (a bucket shop run by people who were obviously incompetent at security) Somehow I think avoiding getting your money yoinked might just be easier than you think.
shockD

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 08:28:00 AM

This is what I think of when I think of the people who put money back into bitcoinica after the initial fiasco. Not a lot of sympathy really. Some, but not a lot. Learn your lesson.
WhatsHappening

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 09:39:17 AM

Since first security breach Bitcoinica became "Bitcoinica LP". Anything you are saying about bitcoinica you can say about the whole bitcoin economy. Economy is based on trust much more then the real economy.
I personally still trust bitcoinica owners. However their behaviour and way of how their communicating progress in payouts is not up to standards (actually it's far far from it) I hope they'll do their best.
If they fail giving back our money they should be ready that some of us will take legal action against them (difficult but certainly possible since they're EU citizens).

Good luck Bitcoinica team. I know it's a very difficult situation in your life but you can do it Smiley
shockD

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 09:46:52 AM

Since first security breach Bitcoinica became "Bitcoinica LP". Anything you are saying about bitcoinica you can say about the whole bitcoin economy. Economy is based on trust much more then the real economy.
I personally still trust bitcoinica owners. However their behaviour and way of how their communicating progress in payouts is not up to standards (actually it's far far from it) I hope they'll do their best.
If they fail giving back our money they should be ready that some of us will take legal action against them (difficult but certainly possible since they're EU citizens).

Good luck Bitcoinica team. I know it's a very difficult situation in your life but you can do it Smiley

"Anything you are saying about bitcoinica you can say about the whole bitcoin economy."

Bullshit. Idiots like you that put your money in untrustworthy enterprises drag the economy down. Stop being a greedy fool and think.

WhatsHappening

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 10:34:38 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2012, 10:48:56 AM by WhatsHappening

"Anything you are saying about bitcoinica you can say about the whole bitcoin economy."

Bullshit. Idiots like you that put your money in untrustworthy enterprises drag the economy down. Stop being a greedy fool and think.

It's hard to make a sense comment on your opinion. If e.g. Bitcoin collapse (for some reason, probability of such is small but real) there will appear other people calling idiots everyone who invested a cent in bitcoin economy.

Bitcoinica was a great thing, that could strenghten bitcoin economy. Everybody know that there was a substantial risk. But we have situation that nobody predicted: no offline backups. That could be avoided... But it's a fact.

BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 02:23:03 PM

This is what I think of when I think of the people who put money back into bitcoinica after the initial fiasco. Not a lot of sympathy really. Some, but not a lot. Learn your lesson.

I never heard about the first bitcoinica fiasco, never lost any money in the first "break in", therefore its kind of hard to make a case for it for me Cheesy
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 02:46:30 PM

Bitcoinica was a great thing, that could strenghten bitcoin economy. Everybody know that there was a substantial risk. But we have situation that nobody predicted: no offline backups. That could be avoided... But it's a fact.

Maybe only a few would have considered the possibility of a commercial site dealing in tens of thousands of dollars in value every day as not having the basic sense to have offline backups, and not give out root passwords to anybody who stops by THE FIRST TIME.

When a similar, and highly suspect repeat happens a matter of weeks later? Every single person who sent a penny to this service should have been thinking about it. And given the history of the brain trusts that think profit can be fabricated from thin air, I suspect that there were a considerable number who actually were PREDICTING a similar failure, and not investing in this shaky gimmick.
repentance

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 11:23:24 PM

Maybe only a few would have considered the possibility of a commercial site dealing in tens of thousands of dollars in value every day as not having the basic sense to have offline backups, and not give out root passwords to anybody who stops by THE FIRST TIME.

When a similar, and highly suspect repeat happens a matter of weeks later? Every single person who sent a penny to this service should have been thinking about it. And given the history of the brain trusts that think profit can be fabricated from thin air, I suspect that there were a considerable number who actually were PREDICTING a similar failure, and not investing in this shaky gimmick.

The worst thing is that Bitcoinica Consultancy has actually stated that they believe that their decision to make fixing the code their priority was the correct one in spite of this happening - implying that fixing the code and ensuring that their servers were secure were mutually exclusive options.  It's inconceivable to me that after the Linode compromise they chose one of the cheapest shared hosting options with Rackspace and that they didn't regard redundancy and being able to shut down access to the server if it was compromised as critical.  They made these choices after they'd performed a security audit which should have revealed that their servers were still vulnerable.

And yes, I think that many users only pay lip service to the risk of losing their money when they place it with Bitcoin service providers.  How many times do hacks, scams, account freezings and outright thefts need to happen before people stop being totally blinded by potential profits and accept that few of these services have sufficient resources to absorb significant losses and that many of them are one critical incident away from being insolvent?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 11:27:01 PM

It's inconceivable to me that after the Linode compromise they chose one of the cheapest shared hosting options with Rackspace and that they didn't regard redundancy and being able to shut down access to the server if it was compromised as critical.  They made these choices after they'd performed a security audit which should have revealed that their servers were still vulnerable.
Just to make sure everyone has it straight - Bitcoinica was on the RS cloud long before the Consultancy came along. The Linode VPS was just an attempt to keep the hot wallet off the rackspace cluster to spread the risk around. Obviously we saw how that failed.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
repentance

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 11:58:16 PM

It's inconceivable to me that after the Linode compromise they chose one of the cheapest shared hosting options with Rackspace and that they didn't regard redundancy and being able to shut down access to the server if it was compromised as critical.  They made these choices after they'd performed a security audit which should have revealed that their servers were still vulnerable.
Just to make sure everyone has it straight - Bitcoinica was on the RS cloud long before the Consultancy came along. The Linode VPS was just an attempt to keep the hot wallet off the rackspace cluster to spread the risk around. Obviously we saw how that failed.

I'm sure that excuses them from not tightening up their security at Rackspace after the Linode hack.  They performed a security audit in March according to Tihan - a proper audit should have revealed the Rackspace vulnerability.  Another attack should have been expected.  Even if the same attacker doesn't come back for a second bite at the cherry, once a vulnerability has been exploited other people will try to exploit that same vulnerability in respect of both the company which was originally attacked and similar businesses.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: